Player
    Character
    Kacho Nacho
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LineageRazor View Post
    We don't know what the cosmology of FFXIV is like, but bear in mind that as a magical fantasy world, it doesn't have to follow a any of the rules that our real universe observes.
    *snipped for brevity*

The cosmology of FFXIV is limited only by the imaginations of the writers behind it. We really can't make any assumptions!
    You know, I never thought of that. It would be pretty cool if the FFXIV "universe" was envisioned to be like the pre-Copernican model. Imagine the Astronomical Society peering through their telescopes to see celestial beings chipping away at the outermost shell to reveal a new star while a nearby comet heralds the birth of ruler! Me likey!
    (0)
    Last edited by Kacho_Nacho; 09-19-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Pa Lin'guine
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    See the seven day week: Sun Day, Moon Day, Tyr's Day (Mars), Woden's Day (Mercury), Thor's Day (Jupiter), Frea's Day (Venus), Saturn's day.
    5 major planets (or atleast visible clearly). If we want to take that reference, we could take example from eorzean calendar 8 days for 6 major planets other than Hydaelyn. Or is it based on 6 elements + 2 aspects?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Romilda Rayne
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 75
    Quote Originally Posted by uvuvwevwevweonyetenyevweugwemu View Post
    5 major planets (or atleast visible clearly). If we want to take that reference, we could take example from eorzean calendar 8 days for 6 major planets other than Hydaelyn. Or is it based on 6 elements + 2 aspects?
    Given how neatly everything usually fits, it's probably both, but we only know of the elements and polarities to be definitively true.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lyland Battersea
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Back when humanity was as ignorant of the cosmos as most on Hydaelyn are, lights in the sky were mysterious fixed objects ... aside from the seven that weren't.
    Just a minor clarification: It wasn't so much that stars were "fixed" as they were travelling on a "fixed" route across the night sky, from east to west. The five inner planets became known as the "wanderers" because, unlike the stars, their paths across the sky weren't fixed, but were varied instead.

Moreover, I suspect that, for the longest time, humanity did in fact believe that the "wanderers" were just special stars (hence the propensity to name them after gods and goddesses). Venus, for example, was known as the "Evening (or Morning, as the case may be) Star".

I'm not entirely sure when humanity first realised that the planets weren't special tiny lights in the firmament, but were actually other spherical objects like the Moon. I would guess it was most likely after the invention of telescopes and, even more likely, only after Galileo broke the Copernican model, by establishing that the Earth orbited the Sun, and not the other way round.

Lest we get trapped in a eurocentric, Anglo-Saxon worldview, bear in mind that, even today, there are cultures that explicitly name the planets as "stars". Mars, for example, is known in Chinese as 火星 (huo3 xing1), or literally, the "Fire Star". In fact, the Chinese named the planets after elements, hence: Mercury 水星 (sui3 xing1) "Water Star"; Venus 金星 (jin1 xing1) "(Gold) Metal Star"; Jupiter 木星 (mu4xing1) "Wood Star"; and Saturn 土星 (tu3 xing1) "Earth Star".

And guess what? Given the fact that the Japanese language borrowed heavily from Chinese, the people of Japan know the planets by the same names as the Chinese.

Hence: Mercury is すいせい (sui-sei, or water star); Venus is きんせい (kin-sei, metal star); Mars is かせい (ka-sei, or fire star); Jupiter is もくせい (moku-sei, earth star); and Saturn is どせい (dou-sei, or earth star).

In short, the recognition of planets as spherical objects in orbit around a burning star is fairly recent phenomenon in human history. So, it doesn't break immersion by any measure for a faux mediaeval society like Eorzea's to refer to planets as "stars".

To be sure, Eorzeans may not even understand planets the same way we do, as we have no real idea of how the firmaments actually work, what with Zodiark being the moon, and the Hydaelyn being a giant crystal (both of which is not even likely to be common knowledge among smallfolk, who, as far as I can tell, still associate the moon with Menphina, and remember Dalamud as Menphina's Hound).
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by uvuvwevwevweonyetenyevweugwemu View Post
    If we want to take that reference, we could take example from eorzean calendar 8 days for 6 major planets other than Hydaelyn. Or is it based on 6 elements + 2 aspects?
    6 elements + 2 polarities. When aether is acting within the Elemental energy spectrum, there are three dimensions that determine its behavior: aspect (what "direction" from neutral the imbalance is; i.e. ice, water, a mix) , elemental charge (how strong of a concentration that energy is), and polar charge (a tilt towards an active or passive manifestation of that element). Most of the time you only hear about the energy from the elemental aspect, but a deep polar charge manifests unique properties, as well, and thus they get the same consideration. I consider astral and umbral the "up and down" relative to the "12 / 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 o'clock" positions of the elements and how "far from center" that line goes. Aetherology is weird.

The night sky has something far more obvious than wandering stars, however - it has six constellations of (what are believed to be) stars that line up perfectly with the elements. These are tied into Eorzean myth as the six elemental heavens into which the Twelve retreated (causing the six elemental hells to come into being). A seventh "polar" heaven and hell star is said to exist in the skies, as well, but these are less well-defined ... perhaps because Final Fantasy XIV folklore states that it was only supposed to be the six until it was brought to the developers' attention that shouting "SIX HELLS!" sounds dumb, but "SEVEN HELLS!" is just right.

Still 6+2 with constellations seems to be the origin of the 8 day week. The best suggestions I know of for believing that other planets exist are: the "Dragon Star" which might be where Midgardsormr came from, the fact Allag built interstellar starships at all in the first place, and Midgardsormr's comments on Omega's origin, which are ambiguous as to whether Omega came from another planet in our dimension, our planet in another dimension, or another planet in another dimension, lol. Please look forward to 4.4...?

Quote Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
    Just a minor clarification: It wasn't so much that stars were "fixed" as they were travelling on a "fixed" route across the night sky, from east to west.
    "Fixed" to the great crystal sphere was the implied reference. Apologies
    (11)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 09-19-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Kacho Nacho
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Whoa! So much great information here and some nice thinking outside the box too. I love it!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Romilda Rayne
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 75
    When the Seven Hells are just right.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Faire Eravyn
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Tell me about it. Amazing work here.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    G'odwin Merca
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Also for some reason the memory stones from the convocation have 13 real world zodiac constellations plus the sun
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2