Player
    Character
    Whiskey Bravo
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zojha View Post
    So? When real life comes crashing in, it's completely irrelevant if you wipe or not, because one of your party members will be busy in real life for a while anyway. Chances are, by the time you come back, the people have already respawned and are waiting. Depending on your role, they might even proceed with small pulls on their own, because you don't need a tank or extra DPS for small pulls in the first place.
    Funny story. Was running expert last week, temple of fist, the 2 pulls before last boss one of the dps said he had to go since dinner arrived. "feel free to kick me" he says. Now I'm thinking, you can't wait 5 mins for the dungeon to be done, and apparently don't want a penalty for quitting.. So we didn't kick him. Continued to pull the rest of the dungeon, normal big pulls (I trusted the other dps, my savage co-tank running on bard - he does the damage of 2 normal df dps lol) and it was fine. After we finished I regretted not kicking the other dps since he basically got carried for free tomes, but either way.. Just because you're down a dps doesn't mean you have to go back to small pulls, circumstances allowing.
    (1)

Character
    Diana Prince
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Okamimaru View Post
    Thanks for another reason to quit tanking
    yeah you go ahead and quit tanking witht those lvl 20s gladiator and maruader and that awesome lvl 60 drk sure you were so invested on tanking to quit,lol again more kids blaming other, Can't stand people like this these days, why you quit because you could not hold an argument on a forum? really? if you can't stand this surely you wont stand the flame dps and healer will through at you for underperforming so you doing yourself a favor.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Naomi Enami
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    After snipping though the different replies from people on different sides of the argument, it's really nothing a little bit of communication before hand won't solve. If you are the tank or healer they won't kick you. IF they do you get instant queues and you'll be back in with another group anyways. Worst case they leave and you end up waiting for another member, which won't take long.

Personally I just nicely ask tanks to "speed it up" and give them reason for assurance/confidence (I can keep you alive! or DPS is good) then leave it to them to do as they please without them hearing/reading anything regarding that from me for the rest of the run. After all if I wanted to dictate the pace of the run I should've run as tank myself. Either way, that random tank player is most likely someone I will never run into again and the worst to one another is not give out commendation, big deal, right?

I will admittedly say I'm pro big pulls and here's why:

Time Efficiency, I do like this game, and I like most of its features. So I do not want to spend more time than I need doing nothing but Expert Roulette. If a run can be done in 15 minutes, I'd rather it is done in 15 and not 25. Saving 10 minutes may not sound big to some, but if each dungeon I run that day lasts 10 minutes longer than they should I end up wasting 30 or 40 unnecessary minutes in dungeons which would eat away from my time gathering, crafting or even hanging around with my friends on game in other places without killing mobs. And quite honestly those 40 minutes might be all I had to spare that day.

Resource efficiency. This is both, TP/MP and Cooldown efficiency.

MP Spent on Flare is always the same, be it on 3 mobs or 30. I get more for my buck from using it on 30. Same can be said about every AoE ability in the game, be it the 140 TP SAM spends on their AoE GCDs, or 120 the DRG spends on Doomspike or MP WHM spends on Holy.

Cooldowns (be it DPS, Healing or tanking cooldowns) will happen once over their CD and are limited by their cooldown.

Off GCD abilities that are on short cooldowns like Contre Sixte, Geirskogul, Elixir Field, Howling Fist, Deathflare, Earthly Star, Assize, Circle of Scorn etc. can only happen once per CD, regardless of number of targets hit, so hitting more mobs per usage is better.

Rampart, Leylines and Largess are always 90s, getting that 20% increased DPS/healing/mitigation against 10 mobs is better than on 1. Assume you're doing 1000 DPS per target, on 10 that's 10k, 20% of that is 2k instead of 200. On the same tangent, if your DTPS (Damage taken per second) is 1000 from each mob, using rampart on 10 blocks 2000 per second (as if 2 mobs do not exist) instead of only 600 on 3.

Also big CDs PLD using Hallowed Ground for example will take 0 damage from 1 mob or 90. Might as well get the most of that usage, no? Otherwise using it on 3 mobs only so the next 3 mobs just do more damage is pointless, especially if your group's DPS is so good that the mob will die shortly after HG ends.

On the same tangent above, nothing is more annoying than burning 3 Aetherflow stacks to instantly kill a group of 3 and then slowly watch the next pack of 3 mobs die of old age by the time my AF comes back, and it's just a 1 minute CD.
    --------

That said, people shouldn't just blindly pull big. Sometimes members in your group may be having an off day and can't keep up with your pace. Sometimes YOU'RE having an off day and can't keep up with your own pace! If you're not confident in your group, kindly ask them if they want a faster/slower pace or for them to slow down if you're the healer and don't think you can keep the tank up (be it their gear/skill or yours).

For me I just avoid queuing solo whither I'm tanking, dealing damage or healing. I always take 1 or 2 peole with me. If my friends and I cover the healing and tanking roles we have confidence in our survival AND personal DPS that it won't matter what the DPS want and they get a free ride for a faster run than they normally would (unless they blow things up and make us even happier). And if one of us covers the DPS we know enough that things will die before the damage intake on the tank would be of any consequence. But that's just the communication part being covered way in advance.

All in all, you should try either running with friends who do not mind slower pace runs or just communicate in advance with your group. That or you have plan B: Adjust to the game's "meta" of speed running dungeons or grow a thick skin where party complaints just pass you over and enjoy your time. I recommend a healthy mix of both personally.

~ Phoenicia ~
    (2)
    Last edited by Phoenicia; 09-23-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Player
    Character
    Carlo Vinne
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    I always ask before the big pull at the end of Temple of the Fist. It's one of the more punishing super-pulls you can pull off, because the end room is filled with stuff designed to make your life miserable.

Other than that, eh... When first dealing with a dungeon, I'll pull it one at a time. After I get a good grasp on what the mobs are like and how my cooldowns match up to it, I'll pull more. If someone asks that I pull more, I'll pull more.

If someone acts as though it's their god-given right to have a max pull that I'm not ready for, then they can pull it themselves.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ferox Maximillian
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    (3)

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17