Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Moro Murasaki
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80

Pregen v. Mid-pull Regen & Tank Responsibility

I've been in a few threads lately that talk about prepull regens in dungeons and how this causes unnecessary stress on the tank. There is even a whole thread dedicated to this conversation now (which is fair, everyone has problems to share on a forum) but what I think is getting muddled is the difference between a prepull regen (or 'pregen' as it's been called) and a mid-pull regen.

I'm going to denounce pregens right here because a real pregen is stupid and almost always overhealing. I'm also going to say that I'm sure some people still do legit pregens and those people are wrong. Premature defense of myself aside...

The start of this issue lies in the tanking community - some of you pull single packs, some pull from boss to boss when it's available to you (looking at you Shisui) and some of you vary between these extremes in a single run. I understand that you recieve pressure from DPS and healers alike to play certain ways, sometimes even in contradiction to each other, but ultimately you are still making these decisions and thus are responsible for them.

Because of this healers rarely know what to anticipate in terms of a pull and as any WHM or AST worth their MP will tell you regens are the first line of defense we have to extend our DPS uptime. If we think, for any reason, that you've stopped to set up shop and kill the things we are going to regen you and get to work melting mobs. If you then decide to keep moving that regen is not a 'pregen' for the next pack but rather a regen for this fight I thought we were doing that you're running away from.

I once had a tank who layed down a waymark where he was stopping the pull. It didn't help much the first time because I had no way to know what it meant but each pull after that was nice and smooth. I'm not saying this needs to become a thing but it certainly was helpful.

The next issue that needs to be addressed is that sometimes your tank is going to die. If we have just ended a fight where I used Swiftcast, Tetra and Bene (so most bosses or larger trash pulls) I have no large insta-heals for you. My choices are limited to regening you on WHM or trying a Cure II and hoping you dont get out of range/around a corner/so much of a lead on me (because, lets face it, you are probably sprinting) that I can't catch up and heal you enough once everything starts fully smacking you. I'd rather regen you and catch a little aggro than have you die and us wipe because now half the enemies in this dungeon are looking at me like dinner.

My point in all this is that there are multiple reasons a tank may find himself walking into a pack of mobs with a regen ticking on him and not all of them are lazy/stubborn/stupid healers. I regularly do this now and it is generally not an issue unless the tank is so far ahead of me I can't catch him because there are no enemies that are killing me with auto attacks before I make it into Flash range and he is probably in the middle of generating AoE threat anyways because megapulls.

Remember guys- there is more than one side to every argument.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Tristan Vayne
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Couldn't you denounce it in the Regen thread itself instead of starting a new one?
    (40)

Baby, tell me, what's your motive?

Character
    Moro Murasaki
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by ErryK View Post
    Couldn't you denounce it in the Regen thread itself instead of starting a new one?
    Because my post is not only addressing that argument but rather the influx of that complaint I've observed lately.

Because there is someone in there I don't wish to engage with for personal reasons.

Please only post things of substance or value, thanks.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Obsidian King
    World
    Typhon
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by MoroMurasaki View Post
    Because my post is not only addressing that argument but rather the influx of that complaint I've observed lately.
    Doesn't justify needing to create an entirely new thread about it.

Because there is someone in there I don't wish to engage with for personal reasons.

(32)

Player
    Character
    Damien Dread
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90

Your post is relevant to the other regen thread- should have just put it there and added to a healthy discussion. If there is someone you don't want to engage with then you don't have to, but I fail to see how making a new thread stops that exactly.

I echo ErrykS's substantive and valuable post.
    (17)
    Last edited by ThunderGodThor; 08-20-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Typo

Player
    Character
    Tristan Vayne
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Perhaps take your own advice, as there could've been a post of substance or value in place of yet another regen post.
    (10)

Baby, tell me, what's your motive?

Player
    Character
    Yu Zeneolsia
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    I think the most important part of this game is to communicate with your fellow players. Its best to ask people what type of run this is going to be, this way you will anticipate on what your next action will be. I do not cast regen on tanks when they start pulling, but there have been times where a tank is a bit slow or a dps attacks a mob and the tank runs back, the tank's HP is dropping so I cast regen, there is nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day I reckon the group prefers the tank pulling agro back over a wipe.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Seigyoku Cypher
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 66
    I've been leveling Pld to 70, and I've had a few runs where I was "Pregen'd" most of the time, and I'm surprised this is even a complaint... At most, I feel like the worst case scenario is that the healer is pretentiously yelling at you for getting aggro for a few seconds because of the regen they cast on you, otherwise you pretty much know exactly where the mobs are going to go once you're in their line of sight and it takes all of 5 seconds to flash/overpower/unleash them back onto yourself, especially with tank stance. I mean, I'm just a casual player, and I'm only basing this on personal tanking experience, but it doesn't seem like something to fly into a desk-pounding rage over.

I mean, unless you're into rage-induced desk abuse, whatever floats your airship... >_>;
    (1)
    "Ul'dah can keep their dusty markets, and their streets paved in silver and gold.
    Limsa Lominsa keep your pirates, and your ships covered in musty mold.
    My loyalty lies with Gridania, with the Moogles and the tree spirits of old." -The Forky Conjurer

Player
    Character
    C'qhataia Ixa'ris
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    It's the annoyance.

Let's go ahead and put it like this for the healers: If a DPS is purposely not running out of "the bad" and taking easily avoidable damage, would that not annoy a healer with having to upkeep?

Same as a tank that has to stop, turn around, run to the healer restablish aggro then move on again.

It seems minimal effort, but if it constantly happens, the time stacks up and the party ends up wasting time.

It's all for the sake of a clean and effortless run.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Soft Boiled
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by otarolgam View Post
    It's the annoyance.
    Pretty much this. There's things in this game that, albeit not game-crashingly horrendous, are still irritating.
    I leveled my warrior to 70 and PLD to 63 or so, and in most leveling dungeons (the ones of level high enough to have unlocked regen skills) I had a regen cast on me the moment the last pack was down - despite the fact that I don't sprint to the next pack and also despite the fact that I don't really do big pulls in leveling dungeons (for a number of reasons BESIDES healer's skill).

There was this one white mage that went beyond that and actually used med2 after each pack was killed, so statusoff isn't much help. Wasn't DPSing, or doing much of anything at all really. Just why.

Mid pull regens if tank's dropping a tad more than they should be - ok.
    Regen in small pulls when most of that will be overhealing - still ok.
    Overhealing before a pull though. Why.
    I mean, I judge tanks hard for popping cooldowns 10 seconds before a fight, I sure as hell am not gonna toss out heals for nothing :/
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast