Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kosmos Meishou
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcanoJones View Post
    I remember the old days when I first started playing MMOs. People would take there time. They would talk. It was a social event. It was an adventure. I go into PUGs now. Nobody says a word to anyone as the entire group speedruns the dungeon. I sure miss those old days playing Everyquest and WOW when it first came out of 2006. Those where the MMO heyday. Now nobody says a word to you and most people ar enot helpful and will kick you out of the group at the slightest provocation. However I have met some nice people in groups so I am not saying everybody is that way. But it seems the majority are.
    To me, it seems as though many players in the community treat other players as little more than NPCs who are there to meet their expectations and be quick about it. That's not necessarily my complete experience in game, but on the official forum, it often seems that it is so.
    (13)

Player
    Character
    Mook Mook
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 50
    What are you being protected from exactly Destatiredux. Did your group wipe over and over. Seems you are trying to force people to play your way. Your group is the one who had no consideration for the person you kicked. You might have actually had to take 2-3 minutes longer to finish the dungeon. You make the person have to repeat the dungeon. You make them feel bad and effect there enjoyment of the game and you also show your not a very nice person..and what for . To save a couple of minutes. I have been kicked for a group when I first started playing without a word said to me. Happened once only. Only time I was kicked. Nobody said what was the reason. Just kicked. I have no idea.
    The player they kicked has no consideration for the 3 other people he was slowing the run down for. As much as people looove doing the same thing over and over people have other things to do than let one person inefficiently and waste there time.
    (28)

Player
    Character
    Arcano Jones
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 53
    Quote Originally Posted by MoroMurasaki View Post
    Look at it from a standpoint of a DPS - if you had a tank who couldn't keep the enemies off you or a healer who couldn't heal would you say the same "well yeah but let them stay out of courtesy" response?

Yes, this is different than dragging a DPS because you can clear 4man content with 1 DPS but that is beside the point, can't reward one role with allowing their bad play and not do it for others.
    So you don't see other people in your group as real living people do you. Just a means to and end..a piece of equipment..just another NPC. I don't play the game for that. To me its an experience..And adventure....a story.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Arcano Jones
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 53
    Quote Originally Posted by Mook_Mook View Post
    The player they kicked has no consideration for the 3 other people he was slowing the run down for. As much as people looove doing the same thing over and over people have other things to do than let one person inefficiently and waste there time.
    If its a PUG group formed through the duty finder. It is there to help new players going through the story find groups to complete that content. That is its purpose. Why do you think the reward is so massive . I get almost a full level for doing just 1 dungeon. It is motivation to do that content.You get a massive reward and then you expect to punish the people that make that reward possible. New players. If you want groups where everybody knows exactly what they are doing and have been in the dungeon and know it like the back of there hand. Don't do roulettes. You are kicking people for being new in a place that is created for new people. What a giant contradiction.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Henalie Aubrenard
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    So you don't see other people in your group as real living people do you. Just a means to and end..a piece of equipment..just another NPC. I don't play the game for that. To me its an experience..And adventure....a story.
    TBQH, most NPC's are wayyyy more interesting and about as competent as most people I pug dungeons with. If they were any good they'd surely know that MY experience is way more interesting and important than whatever frost wizard self-insert RP that they've got going on. If they don't perform according to expectations then I'll MAKE them, and if they still wont perform then I'll KICK them. Broken tools go in the BIN! Randoms in PUGs aren't real people until they pass my fourteen-question "REAL PERSON or FAKEY BOT" quiz.
    (13)

Player
    Character
    Mia Montblanc
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Okay, and that's the way you play the game. You can't expect everyone to play for the same reasons.

Moreover, trying to offer advice as to how someone could improve their play isn't rude in and of itself. In the example that we are going back to, the offending BLM was asked why he was just casting thunder, and decided to respond with snark - as a result, the BLM got themselves kicked.

There is no obligation to extend courtesy to another player who refuses to try.
    (25)

Player
    Character
    Arcano Jones
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 53
    Quote Originally Posted by missybee View Post
    Okay, and that's the way you play the game. You can't expect everyone to play for the same reasons.

Moreover, trying to offer advice as to how someone could improve their play isn't rude in and of itself. In the example that we are going back to, the offending BLM was asked why he was just casting thunder, and decided to respond with snark - as a result, the BLM got themselves kicked.

There is no obligation to extend courtesy to another player who refuses to try.

Advice is great..DO it my way or your out of here is not advice..
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Kylrin Arresard
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    I remember the old days when I first started playing MMOs. People would take there time. They would talk. It was a social event. It was an adventure. I go into PUGs now. Nobody says a word to anyone as the entire group speedruns the dungeon. I sure miss those old days playing Everyquest and WOW when it first came out of 2006. Those where the MMO heyday. Now nobody says a word to you and most people ar enot helpful and will kick you out of the group at the slightest provocation. However I have met some nice people in groups so I am not saying everybody is that way. But it seems the majority are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosmos992k View Post
    To me, it seems as though many players in the community treat other players as little more than NPCs who are there to meet their expectations and be quick about it. That's not necessarily my complete experience in game, but on the official forum, it often seems that it is so.
    Once upon a time people would play MMOs specifically because they were interested in playing the game. You would invest a lot of time and a lot of money just to get in and spend a few hours progressing and hanging out. Playing these games was difficult and expensive which meant that the majority of the people that played them were very, very invested in getting the most out of it. It's the same way that as when D&D came out the people that played it were so much more invested, because you had to buy all the books, you had to set the adventures and then you had to do the party sessions to get through them. The people that played it were the ones that were REALLY INTERESTED... at least for the most part.

Today things are different. The barrier of entry is significantly lower, the games are easier to get into and easier to play. This means that a large quantity of players are there not because the game is their passion, but because it's another place for them to go and get their shinies. Most modern MMOs have changed to adapt to the idea that a strong game has amoung the highest sub numbers and hence amoung the largest of playerbases. Unfortunately the only real way to keep the people there for the shinies is to make its so they get those rewards easily and often.

What this means them is that you create an expectation in the playerbase that everyone should be out to get the shinies as fast as possible. The idea of enjoying the game for the experiences and the social aspects gets eroded by the pursuit of the next great piece of gear or the next amazing mount or glamour piece. Are there people who still play for the pure love of the game? For its interesting environments and its social features? Yes, there are, but your odds of running into those people creeps down and down the more people pile in chasing the rewards of the game instead of immersing into the game itself.

It's the unfortunate reality, but this is how games measure success these days... Just another metric in the pile.
    (7)
    Last edited by Malzian; 08-16-2017 at 04:39 AM.
    The sum of all hunt arguments over early pullers: http://goo.gl/IFT9IE

Player
    Character
    Shippuu Nammuu
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 60
    Your group is the one who had no consideration for the person you kicked. You might have actually had to take 2-3 minutes longer to finish the dungeon. You make the person have to repeat the dungeon. You make them feel bad and effect there enjoyment of the game and you also show your not a very nice person..and what for . To save a couple of minutes.
    These situations can be far more than just a "couple minutes". It's honestly more selfish to hinder 3 people and expect them to carry you through content then for them to vote to have you removed so they can complete their duty swiftly. Not everyone has a ton of time to play and they have every right to boot someone who is deliberately delaying their progress through an inability to perform their job adequately.

If you want to play the game your way, and expect/force everyone to accept and validate your playstyle and not hold you to any other standard but your own, then playing a multiplayer game isn't for you.
    (24)
    Last edited by Shippuu; 08-16-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Player
    Character
    Elfidan Gadfor
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Advice is great..DO it my way or your out of here is not advice..
    That's why it's a democracy sir. If the healers wants mass pulls and the dps agree but the tank says no should they have to play to one persons level? To be fair it requires majority to vote someone out. The only unfair kick i could imagine would be a pre-made kicking you just because.
    (12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Justitia View Post
    Buff Blackmage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikoto View Post
    If there was a downvote button I'd be pressing it.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast