Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Richard Butte
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90

A better way to transfer housing ownership?

The whole setup of having to relinquish a plot before another individual owner can buy it is...kind of insane, really.

This means that many players are selling their houses/plots for literally DOUBLE what they cost by first charging the player for the relinquishing of the plot, and THEN the player will need to pay the cost of the actual plot itself.

Is there any particular reason players cannot just sell ownership of plots of land? Or transfer them from a FC to a private player or vice versa?

Housing would be a lot less bumpy, I feel, if we could actually sell a plot with a house on it without it belonging to a FC.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Autumn Stardust
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    My question is this - why can't you (or anyone selling their plots) accept the server price as the Gil sink its intended to be?

Housing is supposed to be a money pit. If you are done with your house then relinquish the land and whatever money you spent on it is gone instead of charging other people.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Lillian Mandragora
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
    My question is this - why can't you (or anyone selling their plots) accept the server price as the Gil sink its intended to be?

Housing is supposed to be a money pit. If you are done with your house then relinquish the land and whatever money you spent on it is gone instead of charging other people.
    gil sink =/= gil loss. It can but also doesn't have to. Melding a crafter is a gil sink. Buying glamour is a gil sink. Does that mean the crafter melding should just be a loss of gil? No because you can make things to sell. Does that mean a glamour should net you profits? No its for appearance. I will say a house is for appearance among many other things, but it is also not something that should be tied to you for life. If you want to move or downgrade why should you loose your money if there are people who would happily pay the fee to you instead of the server when you are done with ownership or planning to go to another location / downgrade / upgrade to a new house or apartment.
    (2)
    Last edited by Lildragora; 08-15-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Player
    Character
    Richard Butte
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
    Because it's an awful gil sink so long as FCs can own property.

I bought a rank 8 FC that owned a mansion today. A lot of gil may have changed hands, but not one bit of it was removed from the economy.

A better way of "gil sinking" people would be to have house ownership only changeable via deed and charge a tax of some kind on that deed for the seller.

And speaking of tax, once you own a house it's literally yours forever with zero additional cost in the form of property taxes. Considering many players have never changed houses after buying one and have held the same one for years, housing just continues to be a poor option as a gil sink.

Usually, you want gil sinks to be things like teleportation costs, repairs, materia melding, taxes on marketboard sales...and thus, that's where all of XIV's gilsinks ARE.

I maintain that it would be better for all involved if we could just sell property via a deed and be taxed on that. There's zero risk of anything going awry with that as you're trading an item for money instead of giving someone money and hoping they relinquish the property (though, as long as you spoke the outline of the contract in chat, GMs can read that chat and confirm the circumstances behind the deal).

And there's also the rare but still real possibility that they relinquish the property and someone else buys it before you get a chance.

Again, a deed of ownership that you'd need to take to a special notary NPC to transfer the property would be all around a much better option...
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    This will probably never be implemented seeing as they've been pretty against house flipping and this would facilitate that.
    (1)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

Player
    Character
    Mira Rara
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Krotoan View Post
    This will probably never be implemented seeing as they've been pretty against house flipping and this would facilitate that.
    As this point the prevention against house flipping is pretty much failed already.
    (9)

Player
    Character
    Lillian Mandragora
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirarara View Post
    As this point the prevention against house flipping is pretty much failed already.
    Not to mention, flipping is generally buying an asset and reselling for profit. This would resolve the for profit bit and with a implemented tax on the sale could hit the "gil sink" target too while providing a safe way for players to transfer ownership without getting shafted or scammed. It really would just be a win-win-win.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Mira Rara
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lildragora View Post
    Not to mention, flipping is generally buying an asset and reselling for profit. This would resolve the for profit bit and with a implemented tax on the sale could hit the "gil sink" target too while providing a safe way for players to transfer ownership without getting shafted or scammed. It really would just be a win-win-win.
    Yup, I would rather have a high tax on flipping housing than the artificial 1m per trade with no guaranteed house selling now.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Krotoan Argaviel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    I'm not saying it's not a good idea, or wouldn't be very useful. I'm mentioning that SE has already shown they do NOT want people flipping, and while this would primarily be used by people who simply want to buy a house from someone who has one to sell, the flips will happen and this will make it easier for them therefore SE probably would be hesitant at LEAST to devote any kind of time to this rather than just adding more housing options. I'm sure the flippers themselves would just balloon the prices to cover the tax.

I do not argue anti flipping measures are less effectual than SE would like, but I'm sure the fact that SE could POSSIBLY see the transactions of huge amounts of gil and seeing the house go vacant , then be filled by the person who just traded money has likely stopped a few people.

Hell, if I could buy a house from someone in shirogane once the housing goes live (I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss the housing sales since I work weird hours and pretty regularly) I would love it if it was secure and guaranteed. But I don't see SE caving to such an entrenched policy when they've been very stubborn on other things like not letting us have mail between alts for similar reasons.
    (2)
    WHERE IS THIS KETTLE EVERYONE KEEPS INTRODUCING ME TO?

Player
    Character
    Nettle Creidne
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirarara View Post
    As long as there is a shortage of housing, there will be house flipping. The only way to stop house flipping is to take away the market, and doing that means having enough houses for everyone.
    (7)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast