Player
    Character
    Kiba Whitewolf
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70

Great Strides wording

The text description for Great Strides is currently one of the most misleading wordings of a skill in the game.

Reading as:

"Doubles the efficiency of next Touch action. Effect active for three steps."

With the word 'Touch' highlighted in orange. This seemed to heavily imply that it will ONLY work with Touch actions, but this is not the case and the skill does in fact work with both Byregot's Blessing and Byregot's Brow.

Compare this to the skill Innovation which reads:

"Increases control by 50% for the next three steps."

This description is much more clear to the player as to what it does and thus for the sake of consistency please change the wording for Great Strides to be similar to the following:

"Increases quality gained by 100% for the next action. Effect active for three steps."

Please change this. Until another player specifically told me that Byregot's worked with Great Strides I had leveled two crafters to 70 without knowing this.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kiba_Whitewolf; 08-15-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Rory Pond
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    Byregot's IS a touch action. This is pretty common knowledcge. No change should be required.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hyomin Park
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiba_Whitewolf View Post
    This description is much more clear to the player as to what it does and thus for the sake of consistency please change the wording for Great Strides to be similar to the following:

"Increases quality gained by 100% for the next three steps."

Please change this. Until another player specifically told me that Byregot's worked with Great Strides I had leveled two crafters to 70 without knowing this.
    The issue with that suggestion is that Great Strides is only applicable to one Touch ability. So even if you did Great Strides > Byregot's Blessing, Great Strides won't last for 2 additional steps. The suggested rewording you have provided insinuates that it will.

Touch abilities are all of the abilities that affect the quality of a craft. I believe that this is stated at some point during the leveling process for crafters, though I would need to double check to make sure.
    (3)
    Sage | Astrologian | Dancer

마지막 날 널 찾아가면
    마지막 밤 기억하길

Hyomin Park#0055

Player
    Character
    Kiba Whitewolf
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by LVNeptune View Post
    Byregot's IS a touch action. This is pretty common knowledcge. No change should be required.
    Yes, crafters do know that Byregot's counts as a Touch action, but there is nowhere in the game or any skill description's language that indicates this.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kiba_Whitewolf; 08-15-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Good wording could be "Increases the efficiency of the next quality-increasing action used by 100%. Lasts 3 steps."
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rory Pond
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 60
    "Increases the efficiency of the next quality-increasing action that is successful used by 100%. Lasts 3 steps."
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Chyro Soulpaw
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Apologies for necroing this topic, but I think its better than just making a new topic with exact the same purpose.

I feel this is still an issue, even more so now that 'Inovation' states that it increases a 'Synthesis or Touch Action'.

Nothing in the name or tooltip of "Byregot's Blessing" indicates that it would be affected by either of these skills. This could be very misleading for new players that are not familiar with it already and know that it works.
    A class / game system that heavily plays on the interaction between its skills should be very clear about which effects interact with which actions.

Even a change as simple as renaming the skill to "Byregot's Touch" would serve this purpose. Though not sure if there's other skills that are affected by Innovation / Great Strides where it isn't clear that they are Synthesis and/or Touch actions. (haven't been back to the game for long yet, still getting used to changes and catching up)

(..it's actually because of returning to the game with many skills having changed that I ended up reading tooltips again, scratching my head and wondering if these skills don't work with Byregot's anymore)
    (1)
    Last edited by Chyro; 02-14-2020 at 06:02 PM.

Player
    Character
    Cerih Gealai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Culinarian Lv 80
    I have all my crafters at 80 with self-made HQ Facet and making more to sell. I literally found out today when looking to see if I could find a rotation that would be less stressful. I feel dumb, but also, yeah, it's in no way obvious just because "everyone already knows".

Quote Originally Posted by Chyro View Post
    Though not sure if there's other skills that are affected by Innovation / Great Strides where it isn't clear that they are Synthesis and/or Touch actions.
    Indeed, literally every other Quality-increase action is named X-Touch, so having one explicitly not named Touch seems intentional when buffs specify Touch/Synthesis actions, rather than Quality/Progress increasing actions.
    Progress-increase is much the same, as only Brand of the Elements doesn't follow the X-Synthesis naming convention, yet is similarly improved by things like Ingenuity/Innovation and so counts as a Synthesis action despite seeming arbitrarily separated.

I don't think it's gamebreaking - as said, I managed without any of this knowledge - but it does make a gap between those who can macro-churn out stuff because they know something and those who are having to manually push through praying for a Good/Excellent because they only read the in-game info and didn't go seeking macros or guides. Especially given SE seems to want to bring crafting back to being something you think about and adapt to (re: the teased super-recipes based on reacting), it seems counter-intuitive to have something like this where newer players will struggle to the point they will be driven to look up guides and lists of pre-built macros: once you find them, you'd be dumb not to utilise them, but making tooltips more logical will help delay the point where a new player takes to Google and is directed to those resources.

As far as a solution, I don't like the idea of renaming it to Byregot's Touch, because much as that would be the most logical, Byregot's Blessing has a thematic beauty that'd be a shame to lose. Likewise changing things like Great Strides to say "next Quality-increasing action" instead of "next Touch action" is a little clunky when you need to do that for both Touch and Synthesis on Innovation, and overly verbose tooltips are just as bad as misleading ones. But even just adding "Increases quality (Touch action)" to the Byregot's tooltip (and "increases Progress (Synthesis action)" to Brand's) would be fine to solve the issue.
    (1)