Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Sophia Grave
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70

Its time to remove job-based glamour restrictions.

I've wanted this ever since Glamours were released, but 4.0, alongside recent event rewards and mog station items, have really begun to deteriorate the argument against letting anyone glamour any piece of gear.

So the biggest issue against this is being able to identify other players by what they wear. Yet, we have event reward, mog station, and even base game equipment that 1.) anyone can wear and/or 2.) don't suit every jobs' aesthetic. So already we have issues with identifiability. The easy example is bikini tanks or goofy full-body outfits like chocobo and pig outfits, but looking recently, we now have the Shisui sets which are all skimpy recolors. and the Gubal sets, which are all the same but different colors. I'm certainly not saying anything is wrong with these items, but they break the 'rule' that equipment is going to have some sort of aesthetic pattern based on role. If the base game is going to break that rule (in addition to event gear and mog station gear), why have the rule at all? Let healers wear some armor, or let Dragoons wear a robe if they want.

Second, we have role gear that doesn't satisfy the jobs that fall under that role. A prime example is Striking gear, which include Monk, Samurai, and Ninja pre-50. I think its fair to say that at least some Samurai players want to wear the traditional samurai-themed armor that Tanks have (Genta and Arhat for example). Naturally, that doesn't fit well aesthetically for Monk, so instead Samurai are stuck with whatever fits with Monks.

A similar issue is Aiming gear. Sometimes they're reskinned Striking gear, and other times Aiming jobs get reskinned Casting gear. Make no mistake, I understand the need for reskins: modelling/texturing/etc is a lot of work, but it still creates an issue of Aiming gear not really having its own identity. Sometimes I look like a caster, sometimes I look like a Monk. Sure, I can glamour something else, but that's new content and it breaks the pattern. 99% of the time, healers and tanks always get gear that look like healing and tanking gear; they never have the issue of new gear releasing and it not fitting their aesthetic. For Bard and Machinist, its a coin toss on whether or not new gear is going to put me in a dress.

If the rules are going to applied at random, why have the rules? The problems associated with no restrictions on glamour are already present, so who is going to have a problem with this who doesn't already? This change would let players experiment with hundreds more equipment pieces in their glamour, which many players enjoy doing. It makes gear more valuable, which is more motivation to craft and run dungeons. We can even already sort of do this with the gear preview window! Just let us do it outright.
    (110)
    Last edited by Apl_Juice; 08-07-2017 at 05:25 AM.

Player
    Character
    Izayoi Niwa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Agreed 100%. People try and cite job identity as an issue, but when that very identity is ignored half the time because of their poor choices in gear association, who can really make that argument anymore? Let healers wear armor, let tanks wear coats, let ninjas and bard clunk around in mail if they so desire. It make no difference, just let everyone glamour a piece of gear to whatever job they so desire as long as they have the originating role/job job leveled high enough that /can/ wear it. Just to incentivize leveling other jobs to give you more options for all of them. We've even lost the ability to use Crafter/Gatherer sets for DoW/DoH because of their insistence on this silly restriction and its high time its gotten rid of period and by God would I love to wear the blue scrip crafter sets on my battle classes, the GSM set is perfect for healers; and the 4.0 Crafter/gatherer sets would work really well as cross-glamour as well.
    (27)

Player
    Character
    Shiru Elysia
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Do people really bother about others glamour that has to fit the role they are playing ?
    I mean, my healers never looked like healers and when i see someone, I'm not saying "HEY YOU, you're a paladin, you should have a heavy armor".

I mean, come on, who cares, that's the whole purpose of glamour.

The glamour system should only be "wear what you want" so yeah, except for exclusive outfit from everyclass that are definitly pointing which class you are, everything else should be weareable.
    (26)

Player
    Character
    Paris Alexus
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    I was JUST looking at the Tank gear that you mentioned, OP. I was thinking the exact same thing, "It would be awesome if I could glamour this to a Samurai." There are also SEVERAL other items I'd like to glam.

I'm not out to simply make a Warrior look like a Dragoon or a Black Mage look like a Paladin. I don't think too many people care about tricking or confusing people into thinking they're a different role, I think more people just see nice things they currently can't glamour because of job restrictions, and it really sucks. I'm sure they could add a small Job Symbol next to our names above our heads somewhere if it's that much of an issue for SE. Our names in the party list already have the symbol.
    (15)

Player
    Character
    Izayoi Niwa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTough View Post
    I'm sure they could add a small Job Symbol next to our names above our heads somewhere if it's that much of an issue for SE.
    I would love if they did this. Remove restrictions and just shove a job symbol next to our heads; similar to the mentor crown or sprout icon.
    (12)

Player
    Character
    Lillian Mandragora
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 70
    If SE changes anything this would be high up on my list of hopes to be changed.
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Eh, I'd like for the AF sets to at least stay job restricted, but give us set-specific glamours and that shouldn't be an issue. It just would be weird for a dark knight to be running around in the white mage set, yanno?
    (27)

cerise leclaire
    (bad omnicrafter & terrible astrologian)

Player
    Character
    Izayoi Niwa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Elamys View Post
    It just would be weird for a dark knight to be running around in the white mage set, yanno?
    Very few people actually care about this kind of thing, if someone decides to do so why should you actually care?. That aside, locking AF sets only also locks the crafting and gathering AF sets, which rarely see use once an omni set is released unless someone is crazy enough to meld a set for every crafter and glamour over them. So I respectfully disagree with you and think that mindset is more damaging than simply just removing the restriction altogether.
    (13)

Player
    Character
    Song Sparrow
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    I like job identity. I like having something unique to me. It was really aggravating in WoW when they started making all the items that drop in raids the same model as the tier sets. Seeing what new tier I got for my priest was unexciting because, hey, the mage or warlock will be wearing the same gear too. I don't think there's anything wrong in having a few sets restricted to their jobs.

Now, for the crafting/gathering sets, I don't think they should stay specific to their jobs, just stay as DoL/DoH in general. But for DoW/M, yes, I think they should stay restricted.
    (11)

cerise leclaire
    (bad omnicrafter & terrible astrologian)

Player
    Character
    Ekhi Ysengrim
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    I want the Arachne Shirt of Scouting of Fending. Or a Cashmere Skirt of Striking of Fending. Seriously the Arachne Shirt of Scouting goes so well with Noct Breeches or any shorts and OTK socks and guess which class doesn't have shorts and OTK socks, spoiler it's NIN.
    (2)

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast