Player
    Character
    Aleph Alpha
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Felorr View Post
    Sure. But only every 60 seconds/120 seconds on the dot.
    The ability to time your burst can be very valuable, depending on encounter design, as seen in midas and creator savage because there are a lot of short windows where you need to dps really hard to push/skip something. I haven't done enough speedkill attempts (group also not geared enough since we cleared a bit slow), but for example in o4s exdeath if you align your burst correctly (opener, after first tentacle, and after second tentacle) you can maximize dps to push the boss to 59.9% before he starts casting the second blackhole. That's how people could do 3:40-3:50 kill time on exdeath. For something like that, a job with bursty dps windows may actually be better than those with consistent dps. A very extreme example of this is faust z speedkill in a9s, the fight lasts 40-50s, so bringing 2 wars instead of any other tank compositions would be better, since 20s of that short window is spent in berserk. But that fight was so short that speedkill attempts are pretty much killing the boss over and over again until everyone in the group gets godly rng for their procs, in order to beat the top kill times.

As for what others said about being punished more if you lose time, yeah if you time it poorly you can lose uptime during your burst phase and lose a ton of dps, but on the other hand if you time it right you lose uptime during your non burst phase and be less affected than jobs with consistent dps.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Felorr Bhakti
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by aleph_null View Post
    As for what others said about being punished more if you lose time, yeah if you time it poorly you can lose uptime during your burst phase and lose a ton of dps, but on the other hand if you time it right you lose uptime during your non burst phase and be less affected than jobs with consistent dps.
    Two legged Exdeath is still a mystery to me when it comes to berserk timings. Using berserk in the opener, it comes off CD in the middle of the decisive battle. I've been using it "on time" to line up with IR for later but it means there's downtime on the boss which is bad. But delaying it until I can re-engage means delaying IR by at least 15 seconds later. What do.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Grandfall Fraxinus
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    So this is the WAR safe space to "theorycraft" overpowered fixes to the job? And many people disagreeing with other's ideas aren't saying warrior needs NO change, just trying to bring these suggestions back down to Earth.
    how is it overpowered? if my changes suggestion is something like give warrior a hallowed ground with 30 seconds duration and 60 seconds cooldown and increase their overall attack power by 100%
    then you can call it overpowered
    the changes you and that other dude suggest won't make warrior better, it will turn them into another paladin with no originality and unique feature
    the changes i suggest will make war perform to how they're supposed to be, an aggressive offensive oriented tank
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Schrute Shishio
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Assuming you are war pulling for exdeath because homgang op for thunder. tomohawk, infuriate + onslaught, HS + upheaval, maim, eye, HS, skullsunder, Butcherblock, HS, maim, path, HS, maim, eye, hs >>>> IR berserk >>> six cleave + upheaval + x2 onlaugh rotation.

Ive never lost hate in opener because onslaught right asway during first eye insures you will not lose hate. you can add in equilibrium after you have been hit to further hate.

This opener lines so berserk will be up shortly after he comes back from decisive battle, just before vacuum wave. It also lines up IR + berserk following black holes later one right before decisive battle again.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aleph Alpha
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Berserk timing hugely varies depending on how long the fight is expected to last. For a normal, average dps group you can fit 2 berserks between the tentacle phases and 2 more after the second tentacle phase. If you're aiming to kill him before second blackhole, hold your third berserk (second one after first tentacle phase) to do a full ir zerk rotation after second tentacle phase, and everyone in the group should hold their 2-3 min cds for that final burn after the vacuum wave.

Also, don't hold your opener for that long, you'll be missing raid buffs like litany, trick, embolden, battle voice, foe, stratagem and balance. Pop inner release and berserk around 5 gcds into the fight.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Blue Bird
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Plus if you pop Inner Release and Berserk on the 5th GDC, it'll work out in such a way that you'll just have to do a Storm's Eye combo after Black Hole and use them again. This is important because at the end of the fight, right after the second Black Hole, you'll have a limited amount of time to get your last Inner Release rotation off. This is assuming your party is struggling to get to 59.9%. Most of the time, if nobody dies, you should be able to get it down before the last Thunder III.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Fayhd Apollo
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 70
    Two legged Exdeath is still a mystery to me when it comes to berserk timings. Using berserk in the opener, it comes off CD in the middle of the decisive battle. I've been using it "on time" to line up with IR for later but it means there's downtime on the boss which is bad. But delaying it until I can re-engage means delaying IR by at least 15 seconds later. What do.
    You're doing it right.
    It's better to be suboptimal on that 2nd zerk so you can use it again with IR on the last Thunder III.
    An interesting case of being suboptimal on one CD to be optimal in the overall fight
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aleph Alpha
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkyo View Post
    You're doing it right.
    It's better to be suboptimal on that 2nd zerk so you can use it again with IR on the last Thunder III.
    An interesting case of being suboptimal on one CD to be optimal in the overall fight
    If you can get that third ir zerk then yes using it on cd after decisive battle is your best bet, but if you phase before the last thunder, you can only get 2 ir zerks, it's better to hold your second one and use ir on your 4th zerk since that should align with battle litany/voice (and if there are mch/rdm/sch with their 2 min cds they should hold those too to align with the 3 min cds since they won't lose a usage if you phase before the last thunder/meteor).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tolby Seyfert
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 70
    Any other war MTs in any statics? Just out of curiosity. My group decided to roll me as the maintank to my dismay... I'm doing ok but I definitely feel a difference in terms of war instant HP recovery vs paladins ability to clem itself whenever it needs to. My PLD buddy decided to try scholar and our dork knight is fairly new to ffxiv so I just decided to step it up to MT. We've only cleared V1s currently, new static.

After MTing for a while I half wish Inner Beast had either double or 1.5x healing power. Another option was critical doubling the healing power.

In before some nerd comes along and says V1s is easy and blah blah blah...
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aleph Alpha
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    You shouldn't need to clemency unless something's wrong like one healer is dead and the other is struggling to keep the other members alive. I suggest looking at this thing http://imgur.com/a/fOZic and plan your mitigation around it. For example, at the start of the fight you'll take two wyrm tails and one twinbolt, which could be mitigated by rampart (use it immediately after tomahawk, for example, it'll last until the twinbolt) and raw intuition (wyrm tail is physical dmg). You can use convalescence (and nature's minne if you have a bard) and ask your healers to give you shield and regen before pull, that should pretty much cover everything until twinbolt, then your healer can just use an instant heal (tetra/lustrate/dignity). You can use vengeance for the next back to back wyrm tails, rampart + raw intuition again for the next one, rinse and repeat, and use holmgang for twinbolt if necessary. You can also ask your other tank to switch if you run out of mitigation, which may be a good learning opportunity if he's new to tanking.

The biggest challenge in this fight is mitigating wyrm's tails since they don't have cast bars, so you need to memorize their timings (immediately after pull, immediately after first roar, immediately after first blaze, and so on), and memorize the ones that are close enough to the following twinbolt, so you can mitigate two wyrm tails and one twinbolt with one cooldown. Your healers need to know when these hits are coming as well so they can plan their healing rotation (when to refresh regen, when to use big heals, when to shield). It can be challenging at first, but after a few pulls you'll learn the timing for your mitigation. In savage contents you should try to prepare your cooldown rotation before the damage comes, instead of reacting after seeing the cast bars (which will almost guarantee that you don't mitigate most of the wyrm tails properly). The same thing goes to the healers, they should know what to do for each tank buster or mechanic.

Once you and your tank partner get used to the fight you can play around with more stuffs, like doing multiple tank swaps to split the tanking burden, using tools like intervention/cover/blackest night to maximize mitigation, help your healers by using reprisal and divine veil (and convalescence if you have a scholar, for their deployment tactics).
    (0)
    Last edited by aleph_null; 08-23-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast