Player
    Character
    Jaeger Meister
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 70

Limit Break

OK it's kind of cool to use Limit Break, and it should be! Then why is there always an argument as to who has to use it? Hmmm, maybe because it locks you out of doing any other actions for (X)*(LB#) seconds. Sometimes it's a dps loss to use it given the situation... I think it should be awesome, and everyone argues over who GETS to use it!

Would there even be anything game breaking about making it a simple oGCD? I can't think of anything. Keep the animation stuff, but please let us keep doing our job after we press the button!

Has this ever been asked in a Yoshi or SE interview?
    (1)
    Watch your thoughts for they become words. Watch your words for they become actions. Watch your actions for they become... habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character, for it becomes your destiny! What we think we become. -Margaret Thatcher (from "The Iron Lady")

Player
    Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Limit Breaks are [extra damage]. It's never a DPS loss because the overall group's DPS skyrockets when used, as it does over 100k+ damage. Since LBs are extra and allow wiggle room for finishing faster or avoiding a wipe, the cost is their limited use and the time it takes to cast it. Similar to benediction/hallowed ground. You're doing 100k damage instantly or raising 7 people to full HP with no weakness, you're gonna have to be out of action for 5 seconds. Deal with it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Kaylee Frye
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Limit breaks are situational, which is why there's argument about who should use them and when. Back when ifrit was current, one phase required a caster to limit break the adds as caster LB is AOE. If it's a single boss that is nearly dead it's better to have melee limit break. In a fight like Shinryu the limit break is saved for healers to raise the mostly dead party and continue the fight.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Qt Melon
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarabeth View Post
    Limit breaks are situational, which is why there's argument about who should use them and when. Back when ifrit was current, one phase required a caster to limit break the adds as caster LB is AOE. If it's a single boss that is nearly dead it's better to have melee limit break. In a fight like Shinryu the limit break is saved for healers to raise the mostly dead party and continue the fight.
    Hmm... I believe it's more like this.

Healer LB is saved when people are progressing and gear levels are lower, so a fight like Shinryu healer LB was important. The same happened often for Scathach for Dun Scaith. where something can go very wrong due to the number of mechanics being thrown out near the end phases. Same thing happened in HW with Shiva (and Bards were a great backup then due to a having a healer LB3). Sometimes it makes me wish we could "Capcom" a Limit Break...like choosing Type A or B before queuing into the instance.

So if LB3 is up in a party that is still learning mechanics and the boss is at 30% or so people were okay with saving it for Healer LB in case stuff went south quickly during final phase progression.

Some raids require Tank Limit Break which is amusing because you kinda don't know until you wipe to a Boss' Limit Break that it should be used. I don't know if there should be a better telegraph/cue for when you should use that? In some odd cases, Tank LB was used to skip mechanics like Zurvan EX final Soar.

In dungeons it can also depend, I prefer using a ranged LB on large packs of trash mobs during pulls than worrying about that last 8% on a boss mob if we're not struggling with mechanics.

Melee - Strongest Single target Damage
    Caster - Second Strongest - Visible Placement AOE Damage
    Physical Ranged - Weakest - Damage to those in a Linear path no visible telegraph (which I think they should fix.)
    (0)
    Last edited by QT_Melon; 08-03-2017 at 02:33 AM.

Player
    Character
    Jaeger Meister
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 70
    OKOKOK, let me clarify. Tank LB and Healer LB excluded... fine.

DPS never want to be the one to LB. At least in competitive raid groups... If there is two melee who care about their personal DPS, they each say, "No you do it! lol". And fine, some people don't care about their DPS number and some people do. Let's not devolve this into a judgement against those who believe either way...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycbad View Post
    Limit Breaks are [extra damage]. It's never a DPS loss... ...Deal with it.
    And yes, in situations, LB can do less dmg than the player would otherwise because of the animation lock... It's not free damage, it has an opportunity cost.
    (3)
    Last edited by Jaeger; 08-03-2017 at 02:45 AM.
    Watch your thoughts for they become words. Watch your words for they become actions. Watch your actions for they become... habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character, for it becomes your destiny! What we think we become. -Margaret Thatcher (from "The Iron Lady")

Player
    Character
    Qt Melon
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    OKOKOK, let me clarify. Tank LB and Healer LB excluded... fine.

DPS never want to be the one to LB. At least in competitive raid groups... If there is two melee who care about their personal DPS, they each say, "No you do it! lol". And fine, some people don't care about their DPS number and some people do. Let's not devolve this into a judgement against those who believe either way...
    But...your whole argument is about why do they fight over it? It's obviously a trade off. The bigger issue is that you're working as a team, if something as petty as when to use a limit break costs you the fight, there might be more problems going on...

The limit break and its animation is something that seems to get members to strategize when to use it. That is called teamwork.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jaeger Meister
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 70
    OKOKOKOKOK!!! lol. Think I'm in the wrong place for this. Teamwork blah blah blah, of course, understood. I like opportunity cost in games, I think it's needed. I never said anything about the arguement costing a winning raid or any other bigger problems...

I guess I'm just saying is that:
    1) it's OK to care about your personal DPS number
    2) it's too bad that if you do, you'd rather not be the LB'er given another viable option.
    3) LB is cool enough that anyone, even those who care about the personal DPS number, should argue over GETTING to use LB instead of passing the responsibility.

Guess most here just disagree with me, and that's fine.

edit: AND, if it were an oGCD, would it really even break anything?
    (2)
    Last edited by Jaeger; 08-03-2017 at 03:21 AM.

Player
    Character
    Qt Melon
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post

edit: AND, if it were an oGCD, would it really even break anything?
    Yeah, when to cancel it if you hit it by accident
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Jaeger Meister
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Armorer Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by QT_Melon View Post
    Yeah, when to cancel it if you hit it by accident
    HA! OK, you got me there
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Julius Belmont
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 57
    I love using Limit Break, bad ass lookin.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast