Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Edhe'li Merwyn
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    (I love you a lot too right now, Hinoto-no-Ryuji)

Discord claims the bottom-most symbols are numbers, ie a date: 2017-2-14
    Also, ooooooh, finally, numbers! That's fantastic.

. . . Wait, never mind, those are Eorzean numbers (as seen at the Gold Saucer). I wonder if that's because this is just an Easter Egg or if it's something cooler, like a nod to how Hindu-Arabic Numerals worked out in the real world. It could be that both Eorzea and Othard use Thavnarian Numerals due to mutual trade-links and cross-cultural exchange.

Based on pure guesswork, the top rows of both middle and left batches are roles. Going by the middle top trio, from left to right, are "gakunin" (scholar; our own Scholar Job is "gakusha"), "narita" (this one I have no idea; Googling just gives the airport), and "maibito" (dancer). The left top quartet repeats the same words.
    I think those may actually be stage names rather than roles, kabuki acting guild "families" have a set pool of family names they use for their stage names, with actors cycling through them as they advanced through their careers. Narita specifically is possibly a reference to the Ichikawa acting lineage.

------------

Carrying over the conversation that's currently going on in the reddit thread, we've also got a few kanji we know. Besides the one for Doma there's also;

人 (jin), Mankind - as seen on the Oriental Wall Scroll (JP description).

天 (ten), Heaven - because if symbol for the Jin mudra is a kanji then the other two probably are as well.

地 (chi), Earth - same line of thinking as with 天 above.
    (4)
    Last edited by FJerome; 08-17-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Player
    Character
    Ruruneji Seseneji
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    While i have no grasp of japanese language or the Hingan script i would like to add the sign for Kokajiya for completeness sake.

(2)

Player
    Character
    Edhe'li Merwyn
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    (Thanks, Enur!)

We've found a few more Kanji in the Samurai's Sen Gauge. Thanks again to Tenchiko for the screenshots and also for her fortuitously Gackt-heavy leveling playlist.

This is 雪月花, ("setsu-getsu-ka" but usually read as "setsugekka" these days) - Snow, Moon, Flowers, a reoccurring aesthetic motif in Japanese and Chinese art.

雪 (setsu), Snow - the design of the handguard is a traditional snowflake shape.

月 (getsu), Moon - I'm guessing that the main difference between this and the IRL kanji is it looks like it takes five strokes instead of four?

花 (ka), Flower
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lyland Battersea
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by FJerome View Post
    雪 (setsu), Snow - the design of the handguard is a traditional snowflake shape.

月 (getsu), Moon - I'm guessing that the main difference between this and the IRL kanji is it looks like it takes five strokes instead of four?

花 (ka), Flower
    I'm a native speaker of Mandarin/Cantonese. Though highly stylised (especially the kanji for snow), the characters for snow, moon and flower are the same in both Chinese and Japanese. No difference in the number of strokes (four) for getsu (yue in Mandarin).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Edhe'li Merwyn
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
    I'm a native speaker of Mandarin/Cantonese. Though highly stylised (especially the kanji for snow), the characters for snow, moon and flower are the same in both Chinese and Japanese. No difference in the number of strokes (four) for getsu (yue in Mandarin).
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant the Doman/Hingan version looks like it takes five strokes. The top-most stroke looks like it's a separate stroke from the right-most stroke?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lyland Battersea
    World
    Chocobo
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    No, I'm saying that the character is exactly the same, be it "Doman", Chinese or Japanese. No difference in the number of strokes.

It's a bit difficult to illustrate without the necessary fonts, so I'll try describing how it's written. The first stroke is the left sloping line. The top-line, right-line and the upward hook is always written as a single stroke. Then there are the two separate horizontal stokes inside the "perimeter" of the outer two strokes.

Hence 月, getsu or yue.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lyon Polnareff
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
    No, I'm saying that the character is exactly the same, be it "Doman", Chinese or Japanese. No difference in the number of strokes.

It's a bit difficult to illustrate without the necessary fonts, so I'll try describing how it's written. The first stroke is the left sloping line. The top-line, right-line and the upward hook is always written as a single stroke. Then there are the two separate horizontal stokes inside the "perimeter" of the outer two strokes.

Hence 月, getsu or yue.
    This is understood. FJerome is describing not the real-life character, but the character in this image - the "getsu" part of the samurai's ingame Sen job gauge.

If you look closely at that image, you'll see that the character looks like an alternative version of the real-life (月) character. Unlike the real-life character (月), this fantasy ingame version appears to have the "top-line" and the "right-line" written as two separate strokes from one another.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ryuji Hinoto
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 70
    I'm with TinyRedLeaf. Those are the real-life kanji on the Sen-Gauge, albeit stylized.

It makes hard to know how to take them. All of the Ninja Kanji are different from their real life versions, and none of the kana really resemble either of the real-world sets, but all of the Samurai kanji are the same? It's not outside the realm of possibility, obviously, but it is a weirdly-outlying case.
    (2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2