Player

How do you dye items?

Ok im new to ffxiv started early this morning and i bought some dyes and wanted to know how do i dye items i already have?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Robert Redensa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    You have to be a high enough level to make an item in order to dye it. If your crafting level isn't high enough you'll have to ask someone else, but if the gear is below12 or so it's probably faster to do it yourself. Just grab a crafting tool from one of the NPC vendors in the Adventurer's Guild, get a local levequest from one of the leve NPCs, and do the synths for it. You should probably be at least level 2.

To dye: begin synthesis and select the dye and the item for your ingredients. Select Main Hand. If that item can be dyed that color, you'll go ahead an dye it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rogue Muse
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    THe dying process is done just like synthesis in that you go to synthesise, put in the item and the dye and press go. THe only difference is that the process is automatic with 100% sucess and no need to spam standard.

However, you can not re-dye items already dyed from a previous patch. If you have red trousers and you want blue ones, you will have to make another plain trouser then dye it. Also note that some items can be upgraded with extra stats before dying and one you dye you can't add those stats in.
    (0)

Player

Ok so to dye items i need to make the item? and then enter synthesis? Or is it like this I put the dye and the items to make the weapon or armor?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Robert Redensa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    You make the item undyed first. Then you do another synth with just the item and dye as ingredients. This will complete instantly instead of starting the crafting mini-game.

E.g. Undyed Hempen Cloth, Sheep Leather, Hempen Yarn -> Hempen Coif.
    Hempen Coif, All-Purpose Grey Dye -> Hempen Coif (Grey)
    Got these recipes from mooglebox by the way.
    (0)

Player

Ohh ok. Also would this work Hempen acton All-purpose blue dye? I also did not make the item i equip the rusty needle correct?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Robert Redensa
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    You do equip the rusty needle and you should be able to dye the acton at level 1. However, not all items can be dyed all colors, and the Hempen Acton can only be dyed grey. See the page below:

http://mooglebox.com/entries/hempen-acton.php
    (0)

Player

>.< Thank you
    (0)