Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Ile'a Nahvi
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    It's all situational, to be honest. I had a WAR (myself as AST) in one of the end game dungeons last night. He pulled two packs, then proceeded to run off and grab the dogs as well. Needless to say, we melted. No communication happened, but we adjusted accordingly.

OTOH, it's rewarding to pull hard as a tank if you know your party can handle it. It's also frustrating when party members run off and pull things to you, or huff and puff at your "slowness." Everybody does it, but I think DPS are especially guilty of this.

I know a lot of BLM -- and myself, as a SMN -- who will start boss fights or early engage a pack in order to keep Enochian/spend Ruin IV procs.

Gonna echo a point made earlier in the thread where communication is key. I feel like the tank and healer should have more of a say than DPS how the dungeon flows, but it's a game. Adjusting to early pulls, over-pulls, and losing your procs doesn't mean you're letting your playtime get ruined.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Fang Wolfheart
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    I pretty much go at my speed when tanking, which depends on what i'm in the mood for.. sometimes "slow" pulls or normal pulls etc .. and other times big pulls .. but hell if healer Ask me to pull more then i most likely will.
    If a dps ask i will most likely not change anything cause well .. to me tank and healer control the speed.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Lhei Fox
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 70
    Pull Everything! well even i don't there is few reasons for,

1 is healer won't keep up easily with you as tank even you do buff ur self.
    2 DPS are terrible, singel target 1 monster and have no idea of pos / rotations
    3 dungeon run takes alot longer when keep wipe.

I say to my self, what is limit for this healer in my team?
    but pull 3 mobs at time when you know this are very weak once and they will die quickly so why not bring more.
    first timers tankers i let them be to learn the dungeon.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Lumielle Whisperwind
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlunarfox View Post
    I had a DRK do that the other day. Couldn't be bothered to use cooldowns, repeatedly died due to no fault of our whm.

oh boy, i HATE wannabe tanks who pull the whole dungeon without using cooldowns. I REALLY do. But this topic did not specify on "tanks who pull big without using cooldowns"
    but merely on "tanks who pull big". So thats a huge difference. Tanks who dont use CDs can go kindly throw themselves into the nearest fire.

The thing is...I trust in my abilities as a tank. Especially as a PLD. Even if I get a leaf first-time healer, there are situations where it doesnt matter when I go for the big pulls.
    If I have my most important CDs up, Hallowed is up and I have a friend with me whos a caster and theres a LB bar....I can just HG into the pull,have my friend burst stuff with LB and then use my other cooldowns + Clemency if needed
    while the last bits of the pull are being killed. If the healer cant handle THAT, he would also manage to let you die on smaller pulls. The problem is that people fail to realize that them being overly careful is EXACTLY what makes these dungeons harder than they actually are.

I've really had so many leafies successfully healing through my big pulls that I'd like to say that I'm doing my part as good as possible to not put too much stress on a healer.

As for the "consequence" thing....I dont know, I feel I'm punished harder to endure through a super slow boring babypull dungeon than by a penalty. It doesnt matter if I'm a healer, tank or dps...I got them all to 60.
    I got about half to 70 already. I do my best, I read my tooltips and figure something out. Now mind you, I do not read up on the best possible raid openers and rotations when I'm simply lvling a class from 60 to 70,
    but my DMG is usually always more than decent to warrant larger pulls. As a healer, I can handle it too.

I do not think of myself as a player with exceptional skills, I really dont think I am. But I make an effort. And a consistent carebear mode isnt gonna make anyone get better.
    I admit I have pulled ahead of tanks many times. Especially as a healer. Why? Because SHOWING and PROVING it to them how it actually works is gonna do more than trying to talk in theory and have them say "no".
    Ofc some tanks get pissed, but most tanks go along with it. The other week, I pulled ahead and the tank refused to take those 2-3 mobs that were hitting me...So I just kept healing myself while the 2 dps killed them.
    See. Didnt even need the useless tank. If I can tank those 2-3 adds as a healer, why cant YOU (not specifically "you" but the tank) do it with a couple more adds?

Quote Originally Posted by ximxim View Post
    blablabla.... Enjoy being Blacklisted by fellow tanks and enjoy those long que time lel.

Bai
    blablabla.....I WOULD enjoy that if it actually MEANT not being able to be matched with them in DF anymore. But sadly it apparently still can happen.
    If waiting a few minutes more means, I'd be guaranteed a decent tank, then oh boy, count me in!

Bai o/

(but...really....you dont realize youre doing me a favor that way, are you? o.o)
    (1)
    Last edited by Faliandra; 07-17-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Player
    Character
    Fynlar Eira
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Gosh y'all act like theres actually any consequences for wiping/dying.
    In a good portion of all the rando groups I've ever joined, there is usually someone that just immediately bails from the party if there is ever any wipe (or sometimes even if just that person dies).

In a good portion of THOSE parties, their bailing causes a cascade effect that just makes the group fall apart completely.

More than once, this has happened to me after making some progress in an instance, essentially causing all the progress to be lost.

So yeah, I try to avoid the wipes in most cases.

Honestly, pulling small makes less of an impact than most people think it does. As long as the tank isn't just standing around inbetween fights to pick his nose or whatever and keeps a steady pace, it usually goes around as fast as it would if they tried to pull big anyway.

I know a lot of BLM -- and myself, as a SMN -- who will start boss fights or early engage a pack in order to keep Enochian/spend Ruin IV procs.
    I don't know anything about SMN but I can say that the Enochian argument doesn't hold weight anymore, because now Enochian can be maintained indefinitely without needing a target just by using Transpose. If Enochian ever drops without them intending to, that is 100% the BLM's error nowadays.

I admit I have pulled ahead of tanks many times. Especially as a healer. Why? Because SHOWING and PROVING it to them how it actually works is gonna do more than trying to talk in theory and have them say "no".
    Ofc some tanks get pissed, but most tanks go along with it. The other week, I pulled ahead and the tank refused to take those 2-3 mobs that were hitting me...So I just kept healing myself while the 2 dps killed them.
    See. Didnt even need the useless tank. If I can tank those 2-3 adds as a healer, why cant YOU (the tank) do it with a couple more adds?
    You're not SHOWING or PROVING anything other than being an annoyance.

A tank has their reasons for pulling as much as they do. Respect them if you want to be respected back, or just play tank yourself.
    (7)
    Last edited by Fynlar; 07-17-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Player
    Character
    Avatre Drakone
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Always test your party on the first pull(if you are comfortable yourself when tanking and able to take on larger pulls). If your party is not composed of high damage AoE users...definitely no large pulls. If they have good AoE, then sure medium-large, just need to test the first pull on them and see what they can do. If it takes a LONG time(i.e. BLM using Fire IV on a mob of 6+ and refuses to adjust for Fire II), then consider smaller pulls to not tax your healer too much.

If the healer is pulling...let them almost die before taking over their mobs.
    If DPS is pulling...let them die as most healers won't keep them up if they are purposely pulling stuff(different if the DPS takes agro while using all the enmity reduction skills).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ile'a Nahvi
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynlar View Post
    I don't know anything about SMN but I can say that the Enochian argument doesn't hold weight anymore, because now Enochian can be maintained indefinitely without needing a target just by using Transpose. If Enochian ever drops without them intending to, that is 100% the BLM's error nowadays.
    Post-60 SMN now has a proc that changes Ruin I and Ruin III into a more powerful spell, Ruin IV. It lasts 30 seconds, kind of like brand new Enochian in 3.x -- and you can't proc it manually, since it's all based on your pet. I've been guilty of casting it on a boss before the tank has pulled, but this typically only happens when the tank lingers for 10+ seconds.

Agreed about wipes though. There are actual consequences to wiping, not simply game-wise. People only have so much time to play, and not everyone enjoys a wipe.

If the party wipes because the DPS or healer told me to pull more, though, that's on them. (Or on me, if I told the tank to go hard.)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Panzer Aurani
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 65
    You only really have a right to complain about pulls if:

1. You observed the party can take bigger pulls and already asked in chat. YES, even in dungeons YOU overgear. Honestly, it won't hurt to type a simple "We can pull more." Ask first, don't be a dick and just pull.
    2. You're the tank, and someone keeps running off and pulling without saying anything.

Other roles have queue times and you don't because they wait for YOU(tanks). The same is true for dungeons. Setting the proper pace for dungeon runs is a tank's privilege AND responsibility. If someone points out the party can go faster then you should pick up the pace.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lumielle Whisperwind
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    In a good portion of all the rando groups I've ever joined, there is usually someone that just immediately bails from the party if there is ever any wipe (or sometimes even if just that person dies).

In a good portion of THOSE parties, their bailing causes a cascade effect that just makes the group fall apart completely.

More than once, this has happened to me after making some progress in an instance, essentially causing all the progress to be lost.
    I've run so many dungeons and I dont think I've ever had anyone leave cos of a wipe or two. If it did happen,then that mustve happened so rarely that I cant even remember.
    Not that I dont believe you,but thats never been an issue for me.

You're not SHOWING or PROVING anything other than being an annoyance.

A tank has their reasons for pulling as much as they do. Respect them if you want to be respected back, or just play tank yourself.
    Most retarded argument ever made in history "just play tank yourself".
    Whats the use of it? A tank cant pull miracles out of their a** if the rest of the party is twiddling their thumbs. If I'm stuck with a subpar heal-only healer and 2 dps who think auto-attack or single target "rotation" is the way to rock a big pull, there's nothing much I can do. Cant even do that much dmg as a tank. Theres a reason why I main healer and play WHM in dungeons...because I have the best tools to influence/control most of it: I can make the big pulls work, even if the tank isnt so decent and I can add a significant amount of dmg to speed up the run. Cant do that much as a tank. So yeah...useless suggestion is useless.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sarnai Oronir
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 60
    Had a run like that in 67 dungeon. just like Heavensward, SB dungeons have that cut off point where stuff starts to hit really freaking hard. bardams mettle and onward. And it even continues somewhere at certain points in 70 dungeons. The game is not going anywhere there is really no need to rush or be rude to the tanks who could simply just STOP queuing for DF pugs for good and stick with their fc. They don't really need us but we need them, unless you have a tank of your own, which most don't.

Chill out, the game will still be here tomorrow and probably another half decade from now.
    (5)

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast