Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Arrietti Munition
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90

Can we talk about the EXP situation for a minute?

So we've got a very strange situation going on with the way EXP is generated. It's nothing new of course, it was the same way all of HW. I'm talking about leveling alt-classes (your first max-level should be done via MSQ of course).

In ARR the way to level was running your daily roulettes first, followed by an unhealthy dose of FATE grinding.

In HW the way to level was running your daily roulettes and completing challenge logs, and after it was implemented - grinding POTD til your eyes fell out.

In SB however, its basically the exact same, at least for non-tank/heal classes who can't just insta-queue the highest level available dungeon.

But this is, as I said, nothing new. I'm not even really going to complain about the current leveling-meta it because its not the point I want to address.

What I want to talk about specifically though, is the reason these are the dominant leveling methods.
    • Monsters in dungeons are worth exponentially more then outside of a dungeon.
    • Daily roulette runs reward a hefty amount of EXP
    • FC bonuses and EXP equipment increases the amount of EXP gained from dungeons
    • Challenge Logs for dungeons can be completed simultaneously, for a moderately good EXP boost
    • Benefits from rested experience, Armory Bonus and food EXP buffs.

These are pull factors. If these didn't exist, people would never want to run dungeons.

In between this high-return form of leveling, and the last tier - is POTD. It's not the funnest way to level, but it has high EXP return with relatively low time investment. However for many of us who burnt out in HW, its a very unattractive activity, hopefully something they improve upon with the SB deep-dungeon. This is only effected by Armory Bonus, which means going from 60-70 becomes even more of a bear.

But then, on top of these, are the push factors from other sources of leveling. Mob grinding, FATEs, daily hunts, their associated challenge log entries, side quests.
    • Monsters reward extremely low EXP in comparison to their dungeon counterparts.
    • FATEs, even with the new SB exp mechanics - are very low return on time/effort
    • Daily Hunts are worth about as much exp as a FATE, but you have to find, travel, kill in order to see that amount. Not saying this should be worth more then a FATE of course.
    • Side Quests take about as long as either FATEs or hunting, and give about half as much EXP.
    • Challenge Logs for FATEs are basically the only reason to do the FATEs themselves EXCEPT when you're DPS and waiting in a queue for 15+ mins at a time.

So what exactly am I proposing here? Surely its not asking for a nerf to the current leveling meta.

Here's a list of proposals, not saying all should be implemented simultaneously, as that may break the game. But maybe others will think some of these ideas are good as well.
    • Make FATE's give more experience. Like, 2x as much at least.
    • Maybe allow us to spend a lot of Company Seals or Poetics to get small bits of EXP in return? Such as 500 Poetics for 10% of a level (seriously I have poetics coming out the friggin ears here and nothing worth spending them on)
    • Increase the consumption rate and return of rested EXP on monsters outside of dungeons.
    • Make hunts require a lot more killing (such as 10x mobs vs. 3x) and increase the EXP to match (so 3x current EXP for a hunt)
    • Add challenge log entries for weekly hunts that reward EXP for non-maxed characters.
    • Make roulette daily bonuses once per role instead of once per character. (So you can get a Tank roulette bonus, and a DPS roulette bonus, and a Heals roulette bonus).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    King Canadane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    FATEs have already been buffed, plus there's the new Twisted Fate buff.

You can spend GC seals via your squadron and get exp boosting items. Similar items can be bought outright from your GC.

Exp really has never come quicker these days...
    (11)

http://king.canadane.com

Player
    Character
    Daiki Kiyoshi
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 60
    Exp comes way too fast imo. I played very sparingly starting on EA and still hit the level cap in under two weeks. Finished the MSQ shortly thereafter. I wasn't even spamming dungeons. I just did roulettes and story quests. The story was good and all but it felt like it was over way too fast. Idk if it's just me but HW felt longer and even that was already a lot shorter than ARR. It should not be possible to reach the cap so casually and easily. I think SE needs to make it last longer.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sa'niquel Amrita
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    EXP is faster then ever.
    Just doing your daily SB hunts nets you 1.5million exp while you wait for a dungeon etc to pop.

That's even before the fact we had months to save up for exp scrolls from GC and ventures and all the usual other revenues for exp including.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    No thanks. FATEs should remain a supplement to EXP, not a sole contributor.

Not sure if you were around during this time, however Bluefog FATE spam was even more horrid than PotD spam. People did this because FATEs were too efficient for the amount of effort required. This even continued through the early days of HW until FATE exp was toned down.

People didn't even bother doing dungeons a lot of the time, because FATEs were just as good/faster and required no queue time. If you want to improve dungeon queues for DPS, buffing FATE EXP is a bad way to go about it. Not to mention they were completely brainless to the point where FATE bots were born, and many people would run a bot that would grind FATEs all day while they slept.

At the end of the day, if you work hard at it - EXP isn't hard to come by. You can get a job from 60-70 in a few days. Even 50-70 takes less than a week if you work hard enough..

Again, FATEs should remain a supplement for EXP. Buffing them would only cause these dark days to be re-lived.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nol Lac'nala
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Supposedly, Fates are second only to dungeons for exp per minute
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Avatre Drakone
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    The HW hunts(getting up to 51,840 per monster on a 67 PLD) along with the SB(134,460 per monster) are also ways of getting EXP. Not the fastest(in regard to the HW) but it is still better than sitting around and doing nothing while waiting for a queue to pop(plus the Centurio can be used for grade 6 materia)
    (0)
    Last edited by Avatre; 07-13-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: EXP value clarification

Player
    Character
    Arrietti Munition
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    You can kill a handful of mobs in any section of an SB dungeon and get 3-4x as much as you can for spending 5+ mins on a single fate. Like I said, my proposed changes aren't designed to ruin the current leveling meta. People love running their daily chores. However the low-end EXP from fates (which is definitely not second to dungeons) - needs some assistance. I see a lot of people responding that are saying leveling is too fast as it is, but I'm not sure what the point is of belaboring leveling speeds on alt-classes when leveling itself isn't even the end-game here.
    (0)

Character
    Volta Fross
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 61
    I'm with OP to an extent. Leveling your main in Stormblood was pretty damn fast. Got it done in like 4-5 days. My secondary though? Way longer. Granted there wasn't as hardcore a focus on it, but it does feel like a real slog. The new POTD will hopefully help out, but I wish was there was more OUTSIDE of dungeons. I actually like the FATE grind, but for some reason there are never groups for it. I'm dreading leveling my third, fourth, etc. jobs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Altena Trife
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by LoreChief View Post
    You can kill a handful of mobs in any section of an SB dungeon and get 3-4x as much as you can for spending 5+ mins on a single fate.
    For good reason. It takes anywhere from 5-40 mins to get dungeon queues. If FATEs were any more efficient, then no one would bother doing dungeons.

Like I said, my proposed changes aren't designed to ruin the current leveling meta. People love running their daily chores. However the low-end EXP from fates (which is definitely not second to dungeons) - needs some assistance. I see a lot of people responding that are saying leveling is too fast as it is, but I'm not sure what the point is of belaboring leveling speeds on alt-classes when leveling itself isn't even the end-game here.

FATEs have been nerfed for a reason. They WERE too efficient. No other reason to do the other content.
    They basically require the lowest form of effort, and have no time restriction - and their rewards reflect that.

Tell me again, why would anyone bother to queue into dungeons, if a 5 min FATE rewarded the same or equal EXP to 1-2 groups of mobs in a dungeon?
    This excludes the special FATEs that pop every hour or so, which include a FATE chain and high EXP rewards.
    Furthermore, the new Stormblood mechanics with bonus EXP + the random mobs that pop during FATEs that give you the EXP buff is plenty.

If there is anything they need to buff for EXP - it's Leves.
    Might as well just spam FATEs instead of leves, and save them for crafters. Leves should reward much more than FATEs due to the restriction on how many you get per day.
    (1)
    Last edited by Altena; 07-13-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast