Thread: The Great Flood

Player
    Character
    Diantha Sunstone
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    It's worth noting that there is a theory that the Biblical flood was caused by a massive geological catastrophe along the undersea fault lines, likely the Mid-Atlantic considering the final location of the Ark was Turkey. The sudden lava flows caused huge amounts of moisture to evaporate, and the earthquakes caused widespread tsunamis.

A similar concept could be applied to the Calamity of Water. As suggested above, it's possible Othard suffered a draught while Aldenard was flooded.

On an entirely different note, since Ala Mhigo is heavily inspired by Turkey, Nyunkrepf's Ark being up in the mountain made me happy.
    (2)

2. 09-22-2017 05:56 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Zelle View Post
    Every name and location and boss was just rehashed from old stories. Even their new "guest creators" for this upcoming patch are just taking material from things they designed for SE in 1995. New graphics does not mean new content; we need to let SE know that we know this
    Fordola says no, and you're wrong any way. following through on what was foreshadowed doesn't make it rehashed.

and homages to the past can definitely be new content, Hello Sherlock.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sokhatai Tohka
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    My simple explanation:
    Dalamud was a moon.
    Moon's have gravity.
    Gravity causes tides, e.g. height difference in water level.
    Epic moonfall causes epic tides.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lineage Razor
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqrie_Tohka View Post
    My simple explanation:
    Dalamud was a moon.
    Moon's have gravity.
    Gravity causes tides, e.g. height difference in water level.
    Epic moonfall causes epic tides.
    Dalamud was a ridiculously tiny moon, though. Bahamut filled almost the whole thing, and he's small enough that players standing on his palm don't have a lot of room to move around. It'd say that Dalamud has a whole was maybe the size of a largish town, and unless it's extraordinarily dense (which we can be pretty sure it is not, being hollow and filled with Bahamut), the tidal forces it can exert would be very minor.

And anyway, this thread is about the great flood, which happened long, long ago, at the end of the Fifth Astral Era. There was no epic moonfall back then - that's a very recent thing, only five years ago. It's an entirely different calamity, and this one didn't involve any flooding (or, at least, not a lot).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sokhatai Tohka
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Ah ok, sorry thought was the recent calamity. So I googled the right one and found this.

"This wanton abuse of the lands' aether provoked the anger of the Elementals. From their collective wrath came Oha-Sok, an unaspected elemental that decided to to eliminate the warring factions with a catastrophic flooding of the realm."

There's your Deus Ex Machina. Overpowered demi-god elementals. Nothing to do with scientific laws of physics, gravity, geology, all that. Seems like there was also no WoL party to down it back then, too.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tea Mysidia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Rogue Lv 90
    Well we know from the patch site that the Drowned City of Skalla became a drowned city during the Great Flood, however it was already uninhabited at that point.

Dumb question: Where actually is Mhach? Dravania?

EDIT: Just had to check the wiki. It is between Mor Dhona and Coerthas. So one of the regions we skip over via loading screens.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sir Rawrz
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberel View Post
    This is also what I believe to be the most likely explanation. When a Conjurer casts a water spell they literally create water from aether. It stands to reason that the Elementals are capable of the same.
    That or they draw water from the moisture in the air. WHM is about being true to its connection to earth, water and wind elements, to the life force of the planet it stands on. Just look at holy. You literally draw power from the ground. Stones are pulled from the earth, one pebble smashed with 10,000.

How i imagine it.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Endris Caemwynn
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Balipu View Post
    Well we know from the patch site that the Drowned City of Skalla became a drowned city during the Great Flood, however it was already uninhabited at that point.

Dumb question: Where actually is Mhach? Dravania?

EDIT: Just had to check the wiki. It is between Mor Dhona and Coerthas. So one of the regions we skip over via loading screens.
    Yeah, Mhach sits in the Yafaemi Saltmoor.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Diantha Sunstone
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqrie_Tohka View Post
    There's your Deus Ex Machina. Overpowered demi-god elementals. Nothing to do with scientific laws of physics, gravity, geology, all that. Seems like there was also no WoL party to down it back then, too.
    Actually, this gives me a new point to bring up, while aether is treated like matter is in the context of FFXIV, unlike real matter, aether is finite. In fact, the whole act of a calamity using up aether in astronomical amounts is the Ascian's whole game plan, since it forces Hydaelyn to make up the difference out of her own being and/or to eat up one of the shatterred reflection worlds.

This means all that water is probably just outright gone from the world, repurposed for other things that need aether, like our rock goddess mom having a pulse for a little longer.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ametrine; 09-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ametrine View Post
    In fact, the whole act of a calamity <...> forces Hydaelyn to make up the difference out of her own being and/or to eat up one of the shatterred reflection worlds.
    Is there a citation for this? I've seen the whole "Calamities are Hydaelyn purposely eating other worlds because she's been drained of aether" thing referred to in the past, but so far it's always led back to Ethys Asher videos, which state that it's his personal favorite hypothesis for the time being.

I get nervous seeing anything that is (as far as I know) speculative presented as confirmed fact (including from myself).

FANON IS THE DEVIL

As far as I know, the most information that we have confirmed is that a "confluence of chaos" in the aether on the Source side "blows out the dimensional barrier" and causes the world to be rejoined. Do we know anything about how or why?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior of Darkness
    For there is but one way to restore the balance and save our home: the Ardor. Calamitous destruction with the power to break down the barriers between planes, and see our worlds rejoined.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Word of the Mother
    They seek to tear down the barriers which surround the Source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Eorzea
    This hypothesis continues by stating that of the fourteen parallel dimensions (the original upon which Eorzea exists), seven have already faded into oblivion at the hands of the Ascians who, from the safety of Eorzea, work to topple the walls between dimensions, causing them to collapse in on themselves.
    (3)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 09-26-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast