Player
    Character
    Logan Grayborn
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70

It's time to break up and begin anew.

You know it, I know it, and I bet Yoshi-P and his team know it. It's time for Sch and Smn to get a divorce. They made them sound like this was the picture perfect couple and that they would be setting others up to be like this, but...it just didn't work. They are both tired of one holding the other back (devs afraid to do too much with their base class because they walk a thin line of making one op and the other too weak, #BaneNerfHurts). So, as sad as it is (double the leveling), it's time for a separation.

I definitely don't foresee it happening anytime in this expansion, but for the next one, I would be more than ok with the seperation being touted as "new classes" to add to whatever they are currently thinking of atm (money on Blue Mage). The question is, though, what to do with Sch? Smn could keep most of arcanist and be fine, since they are the dot casters (that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see things changed, added, or tweaked), but I would like to talk about my favorite class in all of Final Fantasy, the Scholar.

Scholars in Final Fantasy have always been the type of mage that likes efficiency, whether it be through offensive or supportive magic. They would still most definitely be a healer, but maybe have some rewards for going the extra distance in "efficiency" of being able to keep others healed *and* help take down enemies. My thoughts (however little they mean), is to remove Aetherflow from Scholar and replace it with something akin to FFXI Scholar. Maybe we could make a Dark/White Arts gauge that is a grimoire that fills up its pages with text, or just a simple bar (à la Red Mage), cast healing spells and one side of the grimoire fills up white, and cast damage dealing spells for the other side to fill up with black.

From this, we can spend it on 1-2 abilities of the appropriate kind. Say you filled up the Black side, well, then you could spend it all on a single target nuke or aoe dot. Fill up the White and you can spend it a heal nuke or aoe regen. This could even be on long cd's, or the bar could take awhile to fill up, but either way, you are rewarded for being efficient with your time and most definitely defining a style of healing for us.

I would still keep Sch as a mitigation healer, keeping up the barriers and such, since I think a mitigation healer would fit this play style very well. Also, I would keep the fairies, as they are bound to our lore, make this Sch unique from the others, and they can still help us keep people healed while we do damage since they are kind of another form of mitigation. Of course, I wouldn't make it to where they are doing all the work, but helping prolong our dps time to fill up the Black gauge.

This doesn't mean I want us to be overpowered enough to keep up with the pure healing of Whm, nor do I want us to be able to provide as much dps as...well, a good dps, but feeling like we contributed directly to taking down enemies is a great feeling, and one that I have loved from previous Scholars in the FF series.

I like the direction they were going with Chain Stratagem (ok, I saw Stratagem, it looked like Libra, and had nostalgia), but some of their other choices seem questionable (*cough* Bane, losing a dot, Ast better shielding, why get rid of sustain!? *cough*). But, some of it was good, fairy nerf, broil buff, the *idea* of a heal that will activate on its own, and the *idea* of making fairy focus on tank healing.

I know Yoshi-P and his team will probably never see this (not only from a language standpoint, but also from a "just another fan idea for a job change" point, and I *HIGHLY* doubt they would even think of doing this), but I thought it to be interesting and just wanted to share my thoughts. I didn't want to go into specifics, like, the entire kit of arcanist that would be replaced from this separation with all the individual skills, but just kind of a core thing for them.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Riyshn'a Nhise
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Honestly, now that they've show they're willing to give Jobs the Mastery traits to split spells, I don't think they really need to be separated. It would be fairly easy to use things like Corruption Mastery and Broil Mastery to just phase out the Arcanist spells entirely in favor of SCH equivalents, which could then be balanced appropriately without touching SMN.

...I like your black/white idea, and am now trying to figure out away to make that into a trait-upgraded Aetherflow, and failing completely. Or at least, failing to think of something that wouldn't likely be extremely broken (Still returning MP, gives charges to both sides). ...maybe if it only charged each side up half way... A suggestion on that idea though; it would probably work better if you crossed the skills. So heals would build up the gauge that you cast the big DPS spells from, and vise versa.

EDIT: I have also seen the idea that that should push it more toward being the "pet healer" like SMN is being pushed more toward being the "pet DPS" with DamiBahamut (as opposed the the "DoT DPS who also has a pet" that they were in HW). Fey Union does seem like it's trying to go in this direction, if they fix at least it's range issue and do something about it being mutually exclusive with Dissipation.
    (5)
    Last edited by Riyshn; 06-26-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Player
    Character
    Furious Laughter
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    The stratagems system of scholar in FFXI was one of the best systems in that game and I feel like it has a great place with scholar in ffxiv as well. Stratagem charges could very easily replace aetherflow (the whole damn thing) for scholars. It would introduce a sort of system that parallels the cards of arcanist but in a new way. Charges of strategems would achieve goals like spreading future heals/shields/damage, extending or intensifying effects, and so on.

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Stratagem

That's the list of stratagems from FFXI for some insight in to what they are and what they can do, but I have always felt that they are a system that is missing from the class in FFXIV, far more class-defining than the fairy and the class "style" that scholar has been shoehorned into as a result of being melded with SMN. I don't mind them having a fairy but I don't have any idea what it has to do with being a scholar.

The system would be something like this:
    You can hold up to 4 stratagems at a time (displayed on the new UI as 4 in a cross, something similar to the aetherflow ui is in style would be fine). Each stratagem can be consumed to create an affect that is applied to the next viable spell. Choices include:
    Light stratagem: Celerity - Your next healing spell with a cast time becomes instant.
    Light stratagem: Penury - Your next healing spell with a cost becomes free.
    Light stratagem: Accession - Your next beneficial or healing spell with an effect is applied to targets nearby your primary target.
    Light stratagem: Potency - Your next healing spell is cast a second time for free on the same target.

You would have a similar idea for attack magic spells as well, although I feel like the keybinds are getting a bit crazy by then.

You gain one charge per x seconds (15? 20?). You can use as many charges as you want at a time but only one of each effect can be active at a time (the UI would show which charges are on cooldown, and which buff is contained in yet-unused charges).

This is basically a resource system that makes the healer flexible; they can buff spells in whichever way is the most beneficial for the moment. Obviously the effects would need to be balanced against each other and which spells they can be used on and so fourth so there isnt a clear cut winner every time.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Crystal Skye
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Furious View Post
    -Snip-

This is basically a resource system that makes the healer flexible; they can buff spells in whichever way is the most beneficial for the moment. Obviously the effects would need to be balanced against each other and which spells they can be used on and so fourth so there isnt a clear cut winner every time.
    Sounds fantastic.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Gentle Wolf
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    The stratagems system of scholar in FFXI was one of the best systems in that game and I feel like it has a great place with scholar in ffxiv as well.

-Snip-
    I agree completely, FFXI Scholar was really fun and I would switch to it in a heartbeat if they separated the playstyle from SMN and gave it as versatile a stratagem system as FFXI.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Furious Laughter
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Here's a mock-up of how I see it working, as an example.

First picture, the scholar has all 4 charges available. No stratagem is active, no cooldown is ticking (can't have more than 4 stratagems)

Second picture, the scholar has activated Stratagem: Accession. That buff is now active, and the charge is cooling down. He has 3 charges available, and the next beneficial effect will be AoE (Adloquium shield, for example). Spells that don't work with this buff will not consume it (ie: succor).

Third picture, the scholar has activated all 4 stratagems. They will apply to whichever spells are able to use them first cast. Eg if he was to cast succor > physick, the succor would first consume Potency, penury and celerity (so it would be 50% stronger, cast twice as fast and free) and then the physic would use accession (it would become an aoe heal).

A charge used while no charges are on cooldown will have a 15 second cooldown.
    A charge used while 1 charge is on cooldown will incur a 20 second cooldown.
    A charge used while 2 charges are on cooldown will incur a 25 second cooldown.
    A charge used while 3 charges are on cooldown will incur a 30 second cooldown.

(This is to discourage "preloading" all the charges to start all the cooldowns - it's potentially better to use them one at a time for quicker cooldowns but if you need to use them for a hard section of the fight you can at a larger cooldown).
    (7)
    Last edited by Furious; 06-27-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Player
    Character
    Logan Grayborn
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    -snip-
    Yeah, the Stratagems were really good, and I think they could work something like that into here for healing and damage (and would actually have some ui indications on the charges!!!). I don't think they would do Celerity, though, seeing as how we have swiftcast. They would probably make each its own spell, like Accession being its own AoE healing ability, or Potency being its own type of heal nuke.

They would probably be afraid to make them their own buffs out of fear for the amount of stacking you could do (stacking the buffs together), or they would not like the bloat that would be added back to the class they are trying to get rid of (even though we still have things to choose from like Break).
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Ordoric Ambrosuis
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    light stratagem: rapture?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lorelei Diangelo
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 74
    Tbh, I'd rather SCH keep the ACN junk and SMN get re-tooled to something more appropriate. Poisons aren't insanely riveting but they at least kind of thematically fit a "strategy mage". A harnesser of primal energy like SMN really shouldn't be represented with such visually bland abilities like Bio and Miasma, IMO.

At this point I think it's unlikely that either of the two will be revisited, though. I've long maintained that SMN and AST are two jobs that, while functional, are pretty flawed design-wise and would love to see them given full overhauls, but this game doesn't seem to put much thought in improving old jobs vs. making sure to churn out new ones every expac so fans don't riot.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Gemina Lunarian
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Doing away with the classes would be the most ideal opportunity for the dev team to 'divorce' the two jobs. As a matter of fact, they would accomplish it through pure happenstance if they did that. I know it's in their agenda, so I think your wish will be granted eventually.

As for what would happen to SCH? Knowing SE, their ACN kit would be replaced with another that is different but familiar. Either they or SMN would get new casting animations. Spell cost and potencies very likely to be tweaked. Fairy buffing abilities might be added. Either SMN or SCH would lose aetherflow, which will totally change the way the job is played. The possibilities are quite vast.

From this, we can spend it on 1-2 abilities of the appropriate kind. Say you filled up the Black side, well, then you could spend it all on a single target nuke or aoe dot. Fill up the White and you can spend it a heal nuke or aoe regen. This could even be on long cd's, or the bar could take awhile to fill up, but either way, you are rewarded for being efficient with your time and most definitely defining a style of healing for us.
    So divorce SCH from SMN, and remarry with RDM?

Another possible addition that us SCHs have been dying for is fairy glamours. While the ACN class doesn't need to go away for this to happen, I have a feeling that this addition will only come after it does.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast