Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Morphiana Blackheart
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90

FFXIV: People are circumventing the auto-log timer and staying logged in indefinitely

Right now the queues are barely going down in number. In large part that's due to many people not logging out at all. Methods to get around the afk auto-log out system have been getting shared by players en mass. This is bad because it isn't letting people who want to actively play log in and pressures more people to do the same as this becomes common knowledge. It's getting to the point that the auto-log mechanism isn't even there anymore.

Purposefully getting around a system like this is against the ToS but I think it's something that needs a patch...

To my knowledge people are doing it by:

-Staying at the retainer bell having their retainer active (which explains the large, never moving crowds around these bells).
    -Opening a crafting window then just staying like that.
    -Getting into a cutscene then just leaving it.

Please patch these things SE so the queue line can get moving again. It's not fair to those of us who are playing by the rules and logging out appropriately.
    (5)
    Last edited by Morphiana; 06-26-2017 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Spelling / Grammar

Player
    Character
    Mendalas Dragoonai
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    I was actually just getting on the forums to find out if there were any threads on this yet as I was about to make one. Thank you Morphiana. I'm sure the dev's are well aware of this but it can only help to see the community speaking out and pressuring them to come up with a solution ASAP. I haven't played in a few days due to company visiting. But I am actively keeping up with community discussions and this is by far the biggest issue in regards to server congestion. Obviously DDoS attacks, among other things, do not help. But if the auto log out feature is addressed, it can have a massive impact on queue times and hopefully reduce congestion by a large amount.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Raltz Waltz
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphiana View Post
    Right now the queues are barely going down in number. In large part that's due to many people not logging out at all. Methods to get around the afk auto-log out system have been getting shared by players en mass. This is bad because it isn't letting people who want to actively play log in and pressures more people to do the same as this becomes common knowledge. It's getting to the point that the auto-log mechanism isn't even there anymore.

Purposefully getting around a system like this is against the ToS but I think it's something that needs a patch...

-Staying at the retainer bell having their retainer active (which explains the large, never moving crowds around these bells).

Please patch these things SE so the queue line can get moving again. It's not fair to those of us who are playing by the rules and logging out appropriately.
    This is what I said in a different post...

Quote Originally Posted by HyperSMB View Post
    Seems a little...weird of a response.

You know, some of us are on servers where we don't have to worry about getting AFK booted. Hell happened to me three times today for idling outside my apartment while watching professional league matches. Managed to instantly log back in everytime.

I am going to have to assume you AFK exploit based on your response tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayer2015 View Post
    I know I did. Nearly everyone was in Balmung. The community is a large part of the continued problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazora_Espeon View Post
    It's not a weird response, it's called a scolding. And just as Ayer had said above, I too have no problem admitting that I have exploited the AFK Timer Penalty, but it was to make lunch, use the restroom, take a shower. At the most, I would be gone for an hour and then come back to play again non-stop for 3-5 hours or even longer since I currently have the time. What I don't do is leave my character logged in overnight because unlike those people, I actually do enjoy my sleep and I wake up early the next morning to login and play the game. And because of the state on things on Balmung, this is what it has come down to with everyone exploiting the AFK Timer Penalty to avoid having to get stuck in the long 3k+ queue cause by an influx of people trying to login.

And exploitation of the AFK Timer Penalty isn't the only problem. That's only one part of the situation. The other problem lies with SE's part to limit the number of people that can be online at a given time and moderating the rate at which people log into the game to avoid causing stress on the servers and preventing them from having a meltdown. And the grievance is the players who dislike having this kind of restriction place on them coupled with the fact that Square Enix should have solved the problem long time ago. Unfortunately, their means of resolving the issue is to get people to move off the large populated servers. Except, doing such a thing lies an even bigger problem. It has been over four years since the launch of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn and within that four years, these large populated server have become a developed community (kinda like a developed country/world). People has since build connections, made friends and even some have considered each other "family" (to whatever extent that sense of family is to them). And grant it, this may be a game, but the people sitting on the other side of the screen is real. There feelings, emotions and thoughts. IT'S ALL REAL.

So like others have said, it's basically Square Enix giving other people a huge slap to the face saying... "Get the **** out or deal with it!" And so the people exploiting the AFK Timer Penalty is there way of dealing with this. Some people in the Balmung community feel that it's because of the people on the server's fault for the long login queue, while others feel that it is Square Enix fault for not taking care of these issues/problems to begin with and had allow the server to get this far. And I would guess that it was Square Enix's reason to not stop letting people transfer because they may have wanted people to play with their friends. Not to mention that they were getting money for the transfers anyway so it was a win for them. But now... what you're seeing the consequences of allowing server transfers with little to no limitations. In the end, the question who's fault is it that's causing this issue and where the blame of responsibility lie in this situation. The truth of the answer would be no one since both parties would be guilty.

However, the subject I'm talking about isn't about login queues, it's about people complaining about not having a more strict AFK Timer Penalty and then coming back around after things have all settled to complain about the AFK Timer Penalty, saying how they don't want that kind of restriction. This is what happened during the FFXIV: ARR launch. People dislike the AFK Timer Penalty especially those who played a DPS class because those people would go AFK while waiting for their instance to popped since it can take possibly hours for them to queue up. Of course, this was also because of the lack of people doing old previous content. And so now... This is where the status of the situation is at. SO... in conclusion, my point is that no one better complain about something and then come back and saying they want to take it back. That is what I'm saying. And no offense to you, but you're not even on Balmung so I would personally appreciate if you get off my back. Please and thank you!
    So that being said... What do you say about those who actually have a lot of free time and can play all the time? And furthermore, I'm pretty sure there are people in your Free Company that have exploited this feature too so what do you have to say about them?
    (1)
    Last edited by Mazora_Espeon; 06-26-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    Epicness...

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/57865-Summary-of-the-FFXIV-ARR-EO%28r%29%28z%29AE-Trailer

Player
    Character
    Rozeluxe Meitzen
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    Yes, this is a big issue. In fact, the situation is so bad, when I can play after three hours of waiting I can't even enter my apartment in the Mist because so many people are Afk'ing. When you can't even enter your own home, you know there's a problem. So now people can't play, people are upset and transferring off (completely understandable) and it's not fair considering we all pay the sub for this game. This needs to be dealt with ASAP.
    (3)
    Last edited by Kuzonoha; 06-26-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Player
    Character
    Morphiana Blackheart
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazora_Espeon View Post
    What do you say about those who actually have a lot of free time and can play all the time? And furthermore, I'm pretty sure there are people in your Free Company that have exploited this feature too so what do you have to say about them?
    If they have a lot of free time and are actively playing then I don't see a problem. It is what it is there.

The problem comes when you have people at work, sleeping, etc. essentially doing things that keep them away from their PC for hours / days at a time yet staying logged in none the less. That's a spot an active player could be utilizing as opposed to an inactive one.

Patching this problem so no one else could use it would be sufficient, nothing has to be done to anyone in terms of punishment. It doesn't need to become dramatic, just needs to be fixed.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Vayren Torastrasz
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    Huge problem on all the larger servers. On Balmung my friend has been in queue for 4 hours, and it's been 4k+ the entire time. There are hundreds if not thousands of players exploiting the hell out of this, and keeping others from being able to play.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Amatsu Mikaboshi
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    I like how I said something along these lines by one of the people sitting in craft stance that "If I don't like it, I should log off and let someone else have my spot." even thought I was you know, actually playing and in a duty finder queue.

People are butts.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Stouter Taru
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90

Autologout is essentially the game entering /logout and selecting "Yes" for you after a certain amount of inactivity. Pretty much any interaction that locks your movement prevents logout.

Changing the way it works would require coding that bypasses safeguards and could result in unforeseen bugs and new exploits. Easier solution is just to have brief emergency maintenance during low activity periods to flush everyone out.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Liaysa Sineos
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Snippity
    You're only addressing half of the problem. You can be upset at the players, but when it comes down to it, no one wants to sit in a 3 hour long login que. I go to work, pay my taxes, but when I get home, I want to play my favorite game, not hang out on the login screen. So while I have sentiment towards the plight of others, I'm not going to stop craft-afking so I can stay in game to enjoy my hobby when I am allowed the time....
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bravo Whiskey
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Honestly...you're playing on Balmung. Even before this you should have jumped ship. You think everyone laughs and pokes fun at Balmung for no reason? It's a server known for it's less than favorable opinion and it's chokka blok. An expansion drops and you're surprised? The only thing he forum is surprised about is the fact that you didn't see this coming. Transfer or queue. Bye.
    (3)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast