Player
    Character
    Maralius Simber
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 90

Red Mage Love Thread

So as of the time of this writing the top three posts are posts griping about RDM. Not a single thread on the front page with positivity. People have every right to complain, but let's see if we can't get some good feedback too.

Personally I love RDM as it is. Will happily main it, and I've been a loyal BLM since 2.0. I enjoy dualcast, and I actually like the fact that it is geared more towards ranged with a bit of melee thrown in.

Well done dev. team! Post if you love your RDM too!
    (11)

Player
    Character
    Chiraisu Saika
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 80
    I agree i love how i feel like i have this arsenal of level one spells. Its cool to see how many casts i can make without having to cast jolt.

Dualcast raise so op too! Lol

Question though for other rdm. Do you use drain? Or just stick with vercure?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Much Sabin
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Personally loving Red Mage a lot! Simple, mobile, high burst.

I see a lot of people complain that it's mostly caster and no melee....I have to wonder if they're using Corps-a-Corps and Displacement only to move in/out for melee combo. If Manafication is up, there's no reason to hold onto these since their CDs get reset. They're technically using your sword, so slash 'em up! It makes it feel like you're a melee a lot more.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Jay Love
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    I love RDM!! I always play the DD caster in MMOs but I didn't really enjoy the play style or feel of BLM and SMN. I am so happy with how RDM came out. I love the feel and I love the play style. I've mained SCH and AST but am now maining RDM and loving every second of it!!
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Canan Lazarus
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 70
    I'm really enjoying the class! It's a little on the simple side, but I enjoy the flow of the class a lot. I'd like to see a little more going on mechanically, but I'm very satisfied and having a ton of fun despite not really getting into casters before. Dualcast feels really good, and the skills look rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiraisu View Post
    I don't bother with drain at all, if I need a self heal I use Vercure. I am curious what other RDMs use for cross class though, my current set up is Lucid Dreaming, Swift Cast, Apoc, Addle, and Erase.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Synth Istituto
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 85
    I love the spells and animations and its more satisfying seeing people get suprised by the burst damage RDM can put out. The sword is awesome too and the melee feels very fluid. I started with drain until I got vercure then I swapped drain out. Surecast is also good for RDM too as I noticed a lot of bosses are starting to use a knockback/draw-in effect more frequently (it actually works as intended). RDM is wonderful and I've saved more healers and tanks this go round than anything. Good work devs and keep it up.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Khona Rhiki
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 56
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiraisu View Post
    I tried drain, but it didn't do much, vercure is much stronger.

I've been going through the HW quests with red mage and really enjoying it. We have great mobility and damage. Good self healing, and the melee combo is really satisfying to fire off even without verflare and verholy yet.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Yasuke Nasir
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 73
    I was shocked I enjoyed rdm tbh. I dont usually like casters but rdm is something special.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Chiraisu Saika
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardPilgrim View Post
    I'm really enjoying the class! It's a little on the simple side, but I enjoy the flow of the class a lot. I'd like to see a little more going on mechanically, but I'm very satisfied and having a ton of fun despite not really getting into casters before. Dualcast feels really good, and the skills look rad.

I don't bother with drain at all, if I need a self heal I use Vercure. I am curious what other RDMs use for cross class though, my current set up is Lucid Dreaming, Swift Cast, Apoc, Addle, and Erase.
    I find diversion to be useful to avoid hate swap in dungeons.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Ciel Rosemont
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I am over the moon with this class. <3 I absolutely love it.

During the lead-up to SB - and really, for a while before that - I'd been struggling to pick a main class. Felt like an identity crisis as much as a gameplay question. "What do I WANT to be?" I wasn't sure. I've leveled a few classes to 60 now - despite how long I've been playing the game in general, it was only recently that I got anything other than NIN and WHM up to 50+, because I took a few huge breaks from the game over the years. NIN is the class I've played the most - I still find it fun, but for a while I've been aware that it hasn't felt quite right. And I feel I've hit my personal skill ceiling with it - I can be a decent NIN, but not a great NIN. Started leveling BLM to try caster life, and so far I've been enjoying it, maybe enough to main BLM instead, and use that as my class for progressing through the MSQ in Stormblood? Maybe. Not sure.

So SB lands, and here's RDM and SAM. I tried them both out; SAM is fun and I might level it as another side-class at some point. But RDM... almost immediately, I was hooked. Even at level 50, it's really fun. Got a taste of it at level 60 in PotD and decided to level it up for SB MSQ. Got it to 60 just a few days ago, and I feel even more certain about this decision than I did before. I love the weapon, the idea, and the lore. The 50-60 story for it was quite good, and hot damn it is just so much FUN. I like the caster-y aspects of it (after leveling NIN and BLM, I've had the thought that the slower pace and broader outlook - being able to stand in the back and view the whole battlefield rather than be in the monster's face- suits me better), but I like that it still mixes in some speed and melee. And of course, the sweet threads don't hurt - can't wait to get to 70 and get that AF gear! I kinda feel like, the entire time I've been playing this game, I've just been waiting for RDM to be added. I just didn't know it until now.

As an added bonus, the styling and character of the job even fit really well with the look and personality of my actual character, and it fits in perfectly as her "in-universe" canon class based on the backstory I have for her. So yeah - no more identity crisis, I'm a Red Mage for sure for the foreseeable future.
    (4)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast