Player
    Character
    Vaiolette Ashryver
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80

Cool Do you think the new Dragoon is TOO simple?

Good morning everyone~!!!

I am a mediocre "Dragoon" and my name is Vaiolette Zetian, nice to meet you! I would like to share some thoughts I have after witnessing the changes to my job of Dragoon, I thank you in advance for reading my personal thoughts!

Hypothesis

What I love about being a Dragoon are the aesthetic and the potential of the job for mastery through careful management of our Dragon Empowerment! Retaining my Dragon Empowerment, or Blood of the Dragon, whilst unleashing as many of the Geirskogul attacks as possible is exhilarating. Without it, I think the job is quite too simple. Needless to say, I find the changes that have been made to my job of choice appear to over-simplify it to the point of being dull~!

Disclaimer

My thoughts are conjured before engaging with the new job, so I may very well be wrong! I am also un-apprised of all considerations the fantastic makers of this game made when designing the changes. Finally, these are merely my personal opinions, derived from my own situation, I am fully understanding if others may vehemently oppose what I think! My proposal considers only one adjustment, so it is not a complete proposal!

Thoughts

As a first impression, I dislike the removal of the management aspect of my favourite job~. In the new Dragoon, you may only build the blue Dragon Empowerment, not consume it, in the red Dragon Empowerment, you may NOT replenish the duration or consume it.. I fear this may cause the Dragoon's sequence of attacks to become a static one with little to no variations in any situation.

Currently, we must consider any events that may occur in order to avoid using Geirskogul and losing the Dragon empowerment. That is what I personally find to be fun as it allows me to actively think and make decisions. There are benefits and consequences to the use of Geirskogul, the act of balancing the empowerment's duration and the increase in damage is extremely satisfying when success is attained~!

It took me a long time to become mediocre as a Dragoon as I am now, to know the intricate interplay of the Dragon Empowerment, Geirskogul, and each individual missions' sequence of events. But the process was not un-fun, in fact with each new revelation I truly felt as if I gained a new understanding of the job, and there was a true depth of knowledge to discover!

That, unfortunately, appear to be gone. I feel that any Dragoon may bring the one sequence or "rotation" into any battle. I see little room for variation other than delaying certain skills. I fear that this job will become uninteresting as Dragoons use the same unvarying sequence for the entire duration of the new game!!!

Proposal

As such, whilst I understand the goal is to enable novice Dragoons to maintain the Dragon empowerment more effectively, I propose the return of the management aspect of the Dragoon inside the red Dragon Empowerment to create a new avenue for exceptional Dragoons to differentiate themselves and make room for learning and mastery.

I propose the ability for the two attacks that currently extend the duration of the Blood of the Dragon to retain its characteristic inside the red Dragon Empowerment, but to limit the use of the super red Geirskogul, that it reduces the duration of the red empowerment by an immense amount, perhaps 10, 13, 15, 17 seconds? Enough so that using it requires carefully weighing the consequences!

Benefits

Such a change would allow novice players to have access to all abilities available through the blue Dragon Empowerment; and would also allow them to use the red Geirskogul; but give skilled Dragoons the opportunity to earn a higher level of mastery through practice and careful planning of each battle~! I do not oppose to making the maintenance of the red Dragon Empowerment extremely strict, even, if it means retaining what I personally consider to be the core aspect of the job which made me love it!

Thank you so very much for reading my personal thoughts, I look forward to hearing feedback from other Dragoons on my proposal; and I look forward to embarking on new adventures with everyone when the new game appears!

Bye for now~!!!
    (1)
    Last edited by Vaiolette; 06-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Player
    Character
    Febreealle Goldlyonse
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 70
    I think SE hit the nail on the head with their intentions of reducing the skill gap between floor and ceiling for Dragoon. So much so that even a Lalafell would feel claustrophopic between the two.
    As far as settling into 1 rotation, that really isn't any different than what we have now.
    The levels of management that are going to separate the better players is going to be optimal oGCD use, encounter mastery, and ensuring GK is available to enter Life of the Dragon without wasting any Mirage Dives when your Eyes are full open.
    Making good use of gap closers to ensure enough uptime on bosses that you'll always be able to do Nastrondx3 instead of only getting 2.
    Really, DRG isn't changing all that much from a playability standpoint. The skill gap got smaller, but it's still there, and good players will still do better and be recognized for it.

What you're suggesting is effectively taking Nastrond, and instead of having a 10 second cooldown on it, simply turn it into 3.0 GK, and have Life of the Dragon, just be normal Blood of the Dragon? Apologies if I'm understanding that wrong.
    With an 11 hit rotation, you'd gain 40 seconds on the BotD timer every 27.5 seconds with a 2.5 GCD. That gives you a net positive of 12.5 seconds on the timer. So for every 4 full rotations (110 seconds) you would get 5 GKs.
    With the new changes to DRG (GK being on a 35 second CD, and 3 Nastronds in a LotD window) you'd be getting 3 GKs (in 105 seconds mind you)and 3 Nastronds. 6 attacks >5 GKs
    While I can understand having empty nest syndrome without babysitting your BotD timer, I believe what SE is giving us instead is an improvement to the the job as a whole. You'll still have things to watch and manage, SE just made it so GK usage is less of one.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Malcolm Varanidae
    World
    Marilith
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Dragoon is fairly simple before people seem to think geriksogul use is complicated its not. use once anytime your timer is 21 seconds and above rinse and repeat. the only complicated thing was realizing you needed to come here to the fourms and look at the guide to read that because its explained no where in the game. That aside what they are doing is improving the skill gap simply by making the important things to the job visible in game and they changed the balance act. Really good dragoons will be entering life a lot more often less skill dragoons will do so once every so often.
    (1)