Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Hiir Noivl
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 50
    I make up my own lore. See my blog. You too deves. I know you're watching.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    There is a certain amount of info about the races available on the promotional website, although I suspect you're looking for more than this.

I also suggest people interested in this lurk around the localization forums, as Fernhawles and Eemeefu have been known to drop tidbits of lore on occasion while responding to translation bugs, one example being about the structure of Eorzea's seven hells. - These posts don't show up in the dev tracker either.
    (2)

Player

Speaking of dev tracking...

1) Still need answers!
    2) Is there a dev tag for this sort of stuff? Anyone know?

Thank you all for the replies, and it's very heartwarming to see non-RPers who rally beside us for these answers as well. Good to know it's not just a single minority of players who are dissatisfied with the lack of lore present in the game.
    (1)

Greetings OskarHelvig!

Thank you for your post and your interest in Eorzea's lore.

As people who frequent the Localization forums already know, I'm a huge fan of in-game mythology, and always try to ninja as much flavor text into my translations as the lore team will let me. I've been given the OK to answer some of your questions, so I'll try my best to slake your thirst for knowledge (knowing that most of my responses will only just lead to new questions...and the never-ending cycle will continue).
    1. In general, how open-minded is the average Eorzean? (ex. Accept same-sex couples? Those who do not believe in the Twelve?)

Answer: Though many of the races experienced rocky pasts, currently, tolerance is, for the most part, the norm in Eorzea. The main reason behind this being that the region is a veritable melting pot of races who have worked together throughout recent history to survive the hardships thrust upon them. This does not mean that there are do not exist groups which are significantly more closed-minded. For example, while Gridania and Limsa Lominsa are fairly open about having dealings with the some of the more amicable beast tribes (such as the sylphs, goblins, and Qiqirn), the sultanate of Ul'dah are wary of the tribes, in part due to their prolonged conflict with the Amalj'aa.

The same can be said regarding religion. Each city-state has a patron (matron) deity, and most people in that city-state will follow the teachings of that god or goddess. There are, for the most part, however, no strict religious codes that must be followed. Some Eorzeans will choose to worship a deity connected to their profession (for example, weavers often follow Nymeia the Spinner). Some follow the deity associated with their nameday. There are even some Eorzeans who choose not to follow the teachings of the Twelve, but they are few and far between...and often will not admit it. The exception to this rule can be seen in Ishgard, where they take the teachings of Halone very seriously...to the point that the church and state have become inseparable. They go as far as calling those who do not follow the Fury 'unbelievers,' and those who are found to have communicated with the dragons of Dravania (the mortal enemies of Ishgard), are branded as heretics and in some cases executed.

2. Can different races crossbreed?

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.

3. How widespread is the worship of the Twelve?

Answer: See the answer to question 1. As for geographical distribution, worship of the Twelve is, for the most part, limited to Eorzea.

4. Is there a mythology about the Twelve that isn’t mentioned in-game? (ex. Holy books, manuscripts, rituals, etc.)

Answer: Yes, a great deal of mythology exists. Unfortunately, a lot remains unreleased. The storyline in 2.0 should reveal much more about the Twelve, but until then, I leave you with this Fun Fact: perhaps you have noticed, but in several of the dungeons in La Noscea you will find locations on your maps with names like "Llymlaen's Folly" or "Llymlaen's Trial." These are, in fact, sacred sites for the followers of the Navigator--each representing one of the 12 chapters in the tale of Llymlaen's Ascent. As part of their worship, followers risk their lives to perform yearly pilgrimages, visiting all twelve sites in the order they appear in the tale.

The chapters (in order) are as follows:

Llymlaen's Folly
      Llymlaen's Flight
      Llymlaen's Tempest
      Llymlaen's Clarity
      Llymlaen's Resolve
      Llymlaen's Bearing
      Llymlaen's Trial
      Llymlaen's Encounter
      Llymlaen's Stand
      Llymlaen's Triumph
      Llymlaen's Oath
      Llymlaen's Ascent

5. Can you expand on the history and origins of races?

Answer: The lore is there, but it contains far too much information to reveal here on a forum post. However, I 100% understand your desire to learn more about the backgrounds and cultures of the Five Races, and have personally pushed the lore team into looking into some way we cannot get more of that info into the game and up on the Lodestone. In the meantime, (if you haven't already) you can check out a few of the lore posts in the Localization forums, such as this one on Roegadyn names.

6. Does Garlean technology have civic/public use outside of the military in Garlemald?

Answer: Absolutely. Magitek is the foundation of their civilization and the main reason behind their quick rise to power. Though most of the technology is developed by and for the military, many of the inventions are reworked for civic/public use. Further information on the Garlean Empire will be released from version 2.0, as their presence in Eorzea will become ever more prevalent in the coming months.

7. Charging an additional $3 per character slot is absolutely brutal to many role-players who enjoy playing the role of more than one character. Are there any plans to alleviate this additional fee at all with version 2.0 and beyond?

Answer: I'm guessing that Bahyone will redirect you on this one.

I hope that helps!
    (177)

Player
    Character
    Ashley Zeibel
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 60
    LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Vai Greystone
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I love you Fernehalwes <3
    (6)
    7UP!

Player
    Character
    Thal Icebound
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Never underestimate those void-sent localisers. They rarely fail to deliver!
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Mariya Shidou
    World
    Masamune
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 60
    Didn't the Van-whatever said something about the Twelve to player character? I thought the Empire also worship the Twelve.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Rowyne Olde
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    2. Can different races crossbreed?

Answer: Yes, but it is rare...and often difficult due to cultural differences, etc. which is why you don't see it often. The lore team has informed me that there will be future quests/events that touch on this and other issues, such as love and marriage.
    In game? Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Fernehalwes View Post
    5. Can you expand on the history and origins of races?

Answer: The lore is there, but it contains far too much information to reveal here on a forum post. However, I 100% understand your desire to learn more about the backgrounds and cultures of the Five Races, and have personally pushed the lore team into looking into some way we cannot get more of that info into the game and up on the Lodestone.
    GREAT!

Thank you SO much for your efforts to help the players connect with their characters and with Eorzea.

Until we see more of this in game, Eorzea will feel much more empty and lifeless than she should. Please know that this is important to the players.

Player
    Character
    Altrage A'uli
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    You forgot to ask what happened to those Race Specific towns/cities mentioned on the teaser website. :s

I would like to know an answer to THAT. (since I even made a thread about it that got no response )
    (4)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast