Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Skiros Drakon
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 81

It's 2017, when can we get a prominent LGBT character in the storyline?

Tons of other games proudced by other publishers have all featured prominent LGBT characters in the storyline as of late. Yet FFXIV seems conspicuously lacking in this regard.

Thousands of LGBT players play this game, yet it seems there isn't enough representation in Eorzea. There are thousands of LGBT Warrior of Lights, but it struggles the mind to even think of one single instance of an LGBT character in the lore.

Square Enix, it is 2017. It's about time you, as a massive corporation with huge worldwide influence and an enviable fanbase size, make a statement that promotes love and triumphs against hate. By doing so you will not only make your fanbase proud, you'll also take a stance against the evils of this world and cast light upon the shadows of society. Defeating homophobia and transphobia starts here, today, in Eorzea.
    (16)

Player
    Character
    Skadi Felis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    We had one if you played a male. He got killed.
    (96)

Player
    Character
    Drae Wellenbrecher
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Why? Personnaly I hate when it feels like an obligation, why do we HAVE TO have a prominent LGBT character in the storyline?
    That's why I don't like being rattached to the LGBT community, they always wanna be put in front like "hey look at us we're different and we like ourselves".
    (181)

Player
    Character
    Fuma Oyabun
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Are you assuming the sexual orientation of the cast of characters? Wow... Outside of maybe Thancred and Moenbryda I can't think of any character that has identified their sexual orientation or have made it apparent.

edit: oh wait, it's Skyrior the forum troll sh!tposting again trying to drum up drama
    (89)

Player
    Character
    Endris Caemwynn
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    If Square decides to add a major gay character at any point, it shouldn't be just because they want to virtue signal about how progressive they are.
    (26)

Player
    Character
    Aeliott Cadenza
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 90
    I don't know, man. I mean, firstly, I am gay myself. There was that couple of dudes tied into the quest to unlock Wanderer's Palace HM if I recall, and a few other instances like I believe a Minfilia lookalike during a seasonal event who mentioned a girlfriend, and likely others I'm forgetting. Subtle tidbits like that are...cool, I guess. It's nice to know this world mirrors ours in that way. But at the same time romance almost never really seems important to this story. Not only that but there's this sense of being "unable to win" if you push it so far into the spotlight that people will think it forced; that the developers are trying to say "look, we're being progressive!" which is impossible to avoid regardless of intention. See the recent thing with Overwatch comics for example...they tried to be as unassuming as possible about it but everyone still erupted about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it shouldn't happen out of fear of people crying about it being "shoved down our throats", but romance is very much in the background in FFXIV. If it was somehow prominent then it would definitely come off heavy handed in relation to how the romantic dynamics of the game currently stand - what little there is of that in the main scenario. I mean as far as we know one of the main characters could very well be gay, as far as I know almost all scions except Urianger and Thancred have never really expressed much on the matter. There could be an incidental hint for one of them maybe...? But to be honest I don't care. It's obvious that Eorzea acknowledges that diversity in its world, and that's enough for me.

Besides, have you seen all those eternally-shirtless Roegadyn and Man-cats, and bikini-clad warriors of light RP'ing with each other? There are plenty of gay main characters

[Edit] Aaaand I just saw who the topic creator is :P I'll leave my thoughts anyway
    (38)
    Last edited by Aeliott; 05-27-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Character
    Kaurie Lorhart
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    It's 2017, when can we get a prominent GINGER character in the storyline?

Tons of other games proudced by other publishers have all featured prominent GINGER characters in the storyline as of late. Yet FFXIV seems conspicuously lacking in this regard.

Thousands of GINGER players play this game, yet it seems there isn't enough representation in Eorzea. There are thousands of GINGER Warrior of Lights, but it struggles the mind to even think of one single instance of an GINGER character in the lore.

Square Enix, it is 2017. It's about time you, as a massive corporation with huge worldwide influence and an enviable fanbase size, make a statement that promotes love and triumphs against hate. By doing so you will not only make your fanbase proud, you'll also take a stance against the evils of this world and cast light upon the shadows of society. Defeating prejudice against gingers starts here, today, in Eorzea.

OK, just joking, but I mean really, they don't NEED to have representation for every grouping. They have their story and their characters, accept it for what it is and don't assume it's supposed to be some political statement of equality.
    (34)

Player
    Character
    Reginaux Vannaire
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 80
    Will the character get offended when we don't use their preferred pronouns?
    (42)

Player
    Character
    Fuma Oyabun
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeliott View Post
    I don't know, man. I mean, firstly, I am gay myself. There was that couple of dudes tied into the quest to unlock Wanderer's Palace HM if I recall, and a few other instances like I believe a Minfilia lookalike during a seasonal event who mentioned a girlfriend, and likely others I'm forgetting. Subtle tidbits like that are...cool, I guess. It's nice to know this world mirrors ours in that way. But at the same time romance almost never really seems important to this story. Not only that but there's this sense of being "unable to win" if you push it so far into the spotlight that people will think it forced; that the developers are trying to say "look, we're being progressive!" which is impossible to avoid regardless of intention. See the recent thing with Overwatch comics for example...they tried to be as unassuming as possible about it but everyone still erupted about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it shouldn't happen out of fear of people crying about it being "shoved down our throats", but romance is very much in the background in FFXIV. If it was somehow prominent then it would definitely come off heavy handed in relation to how the romantic dynamics of the game currently stand - what little there is of that in the main scenario. I mean as far as we know one of the main characters could very well be gay, as far as I know almost all scions except Urianger and Thancred have never really expressed much on the matter. There could be an incidental hint for one of them maybe...? But to be honest I don't care. It's obvious that Eorzea acknowledges that diversity in its world, and that's enough for me.

Besides, have you seen all those eternally-shirtless Roegadyn and Man-cats, and bikini-clad warriors of light RP'ing with each other? There are plenty of gay main characters

[Edit] Aaaand I just saw who the topic creator is :P I'll leave my thoughts anyway

Well said and I agree with your edit as well as I said in mine too, lol. I don't feel the game is avoiding it at all as the story doesn't use love or relationships outside of friendship as a driving force.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    The eternal bond allows LGBT marriage, for a Japanese game, the dev team is unbelievably progressive in almost every regard.

I know this is a troll thread, but I want to put that out there anyway
    (38)

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast