Archer Lv 60

Video card signal lost upon certain events

My setup:

i5-4670k
    GTX 1080 SLI
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    Acer XB280HK 4k Monitor
    Dx11 Version Full Screen

Problem: When I do certain things like call my retainer, the signal will be lost from the video card and my monitor will go black and say "No Signal." I can alt+tab out and the signal comes back with my desktop partially in view and the ffxiv window visible. If I click on it I can go back to playing normally, but if I call another retainer this will happen again (Dismissing the retainer doesn't do it).

It only affects certain things consistently during a log-in session. Right now I can call my retainers fine, but when the circle holding the players from engaging in an instance while someone is in cutscene disappears, it happens. It's mostly the circle or a change in instance status like when transitioning into the end of a fight when the chests pop.

I've done clean install of the newest graphics drivers, checked the temps and fan speeds on my video cards, and ran Heaven Benchmark to make sure my cards are working fine. Any help would be appreciated.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cron Job
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Hello, Nex.

I would recommend checking your power consumption. It sounds like it could be a bit of drop in power as other things in the computer demand more power at times. I would total up all the max power requirements of all the components plugged into the PSU and see if that is more than 80% of the max wattage of the power supply. If it is, then you might need a bigger PSU. If not, then check the voltage levels coming out of the PSU.

NOTE: These days, PSU are only rated to be consistently stable at 80% of max wattage. So, it is recommended to not exceed that amount on a consistent basis.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nex Osu
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    My power supply is the corsair hx1000. Even 800W should be enough. And when I run the Heaven Benchmark, it stresses my cards at 100% with no issues, where FFXIV only pushes them to about 60% at 4k 60 for capped. Thank you for the advice though, I'll try testing it when I get a chance just to be sure.

One thing I'm going to try is replacing the DP cable. When I got the monitor a couple years ago I just picked one up not knowing that back then there were few VESA certified cables, and the one I purchased wasn't one. I've read that the uncertified cables can cause a bunch of random stuff to happen. I hope this is the case with me.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cron Job
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Ok, that sounds a good place to look.

As for the PSU problem, I too thought the same. I had just put in 2 more HDDs and did not think about the wattage. I ran stress tests and all was fine. I used tools that maxed out CPU and GPU and no issues. Yet, when I was on WoW and FF14, the computer would stutter after a little bit. My display would go out and then blink on saying "The drivers have stop responding and recovered." I was scared to think the graphic card was bad now.

After a bit of testing each card, since I had SLI at the time, it turned out that my 800W was no longer powerful enough and I needed 850W under max load.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nex Osu
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 60
    I have a 1000W, I just used 800 to reference the 80% mentioned.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cron Job
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Oh, that is good then.

My belief is 1 of two things then. It is either the cable, or the power option settings. If you want to, try checking the advance option for the power option of the current plan you picked (the power option is where you can choose how long till the computer display goes off and sleep, etc.). Maybe there is a option to change for graphic option to be more for max performance.

I forgot to mention that in the power option, there is a PCI Express setting too. Check that one as well.

Good luck.
    (0)
    Last edited by Aladire; 05-25-2017 at 04:57 AM.