Player
    Character
    Abel Nightrode
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60

Help pre 4.0 what is worth gettin into vs not gathering / crafting

Me and a Friend Finally did full transition to this game looking into at least a little bit of the DoL and DOHs but I am up creek with a paddle here and most of information online i s kinda dated to back when i started the game at launch I just never really got into crafting but I'm tired of being a broke person I want some money tbh and do remember along time ago back when Heavens Ward Launched something about miners/ fisher i don't know as of 4.0 or even currently if this does stand or not just making sure I'm putting my time the right thing as of know I'm kinda started out on mining /botany with Armorer/ Carpenter I heard of GSM making bank due accs and what not .but I'm lost and dont want to waste my leve quest on the wrong stuff

PS SORRY for failing at the keyboarding i suck
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Trachynwyda Fyreynwyn
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 90
    Gatherers can make a lot of money when an expansion first drops. I made 6 million (a decent amount on my server) in the first couple of weeks just selling ore and stuff for the crafters who wanted to be on the leading edge. Once folks start catching up the prices tend to start dropping so you'll need to stay on the leading edge of gathering to keep making bank.

If you want to do purely gathering, I'd go with Botanist/Fisher as those two provide a lot of the ingredients folks need to create potions for raids, which can be quite lucrative.

If you're looking to make money via a single crafting class, then you're best off taking a DoL/DoH combo that synergizes. For example:

1. Botanist/Carpenter or Leatherworker (HW skins take wood to process)
    2. Miner/Blacksmith, Armorer, or Goldsmith
    3. Fisher/Culinarian

Alchemist is a bit odd in that it takes a little bit of everything and doesn't synergize strongly with any of the DoL.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Abel Nightrode
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    THANK SO much guess ill keep going for what I am doing know and pick up fishing or drop mining all together or just level it we still got almost a month
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Argencia Loveshugs
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 52
    Does weaving mesh well with a particular gathering job?
    (0)
    (> '.' )> <( o.o <)

Player
    Character
    Talya Stormbreaker
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Argencia View Post
    Does weaving mesh well with a particular gathering job?
    Weaving and botany go together. Weavers tend to need a fair bit of leather too, though.
    (0)

6. 05-24-2017 06:24 AM
    Reason
    Delete Message

Player
    Character
    Abel Nightrode
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    So I'm weighing pros cons of both From what it look like gathering is the most positive out come all time equals mass amounts mats to sell but what would be profit of doing your gather/with crafting I just don't what will be available when 4.0 drops is another one of my concerns i know in past took a patch or Two to get all the crafting stuff out
    (0)
    Last edited by bigchese63; 05-24-2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: error in typing

Player
    Character
    Dement Drachte
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 78
    The profit of gathering and crafting is that you can get your own materials for free and then craft them into items that may be more useful or may sell for more than the sum of their parts. If I can go out and gather 3 ores which sell for 500 gil each and spend 30 extra seconds crafting an ingot that sells for 3k, there's no reason for me not to craft the ingot.

Initially in Storm Blood all gathering mats will sell high as the first wave of crafters try to level to 70. After a few weeks, I would expect crafted gear to be a hot market as people move on to leveling alts. If HW is indication then the side quests will give everyone's main a decent set of equipment while they level; however for alternative jobs they will need to buy or farm dungeons for their equipment and if they only have DPS or are leveling DPS, they probably will not be spamming dungeons for equipment due to the queue times that are going to happen with the influx of two new DPS jobs and no new tank/healer jobs.

Now, the problem with crafting is that to be able to reliably HQ items, you really almost need every crafting job leveled up to various levels for the cross class skills which they provide. This can be a time consuming process but it definitely comes with its own perks.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Frizze Steeleblaze
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    There are 2 ways to get the best profit via crafting and gathering.

1. Be the first and the best and sell the newest things at the highest prices before the competition catches up. The first crafters to be able to HQ _______ gear will make millions per day as the lazy/rich people just buy what they want and need. This is highly lucrative, but the window to make big bucks is limited to how long it takes other people to catch up and start competing on price. And the more money youre making, the harder other people will try to catch up and get a piece of the action. These profit windows reappear every patch with crafter goodies, but the timeframe to really capitalize on it is usually less then 2 weeks. Once the boom is gone, these people either do crafting on demand or they find a niche of a handful of items that sell reliably well and get their money that way.

2. Sell the materials that other people need. This could be the miner spending hours in the field to put stacks of the newest ore on the boards(for a tidy profit). This could be the botanist who finds the new cloth material all the weavers need and filling their retainers with it. This could be the armorsmith who makes ingots that other people will turn into armor(rather then just making the armor outright), or the leatherworker turning hides into workable leather someone else can play with. The idea here is always the same - utility and volume. Youre selling something potentially useful to(many) other crafters, and youre hoping to sell a lot of it. The crafter from scenario 1 might buy 10 of your ingots at 25k each(which only cost you 20 mins of gathering and 5 minutes of crafting) to turn into a 10 million gil breastplate. Hell, he might do it 10 times on thursday hoping to have some good sales over the weekend. But youll also be able to sell stuff to the people who are just leveling up, and the dabblers... really, anyone who thinks the price you charge is fair compared to actually going out and doing it personally. This crafter has a steady profit all the time, and while its less per transaction it can add up to just as much as the guy in scenario one if they want to put in the effort.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Alya Mizar
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 72
    Mining and Botany are the best gathering classes for gil and should be leveled together in parallel. Fishing can stand alone.

To maximize gil from fishing you must take CUL desynthssis which requires CUL 30.

Crafting is really an all or nothing affair. Get every class to 15 to start.

To get any craft to 15 just do every recipe once. The guild shop sells everything you need, except the cooking guild doesn't stock fish, you buy fish at the hyaline just off the aftcastle. The guild quests provide more than enough shards. Check with the local levemete before you dispose of the stuff you crafted, some of it will be levequest fodder.
    (0)