Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycbad View Post
    See below:
    This is the conversation between Gaius and Nael referred to in the FFWiki content quoted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius van Baelsar
    Eorzea must be assaulted on all fronts─on that I agree. But Meteor... Go no further with this, Nael. It is...depraved─fouler even than the pestilence we seek to purge. It is more wicked than the eikons themselves. It─
    Quote Originally Posted by Nael van Darnus
    Is the will of our Emperor. Why, Gaius, one might even think you bitter at having fallen from his favor. Could that be the root of your doubt?
    Do not mock me. Our duties are no place for personal feelings. You know that as well as I.
    Oh? And what of your tired obsession with conquering Eorzea, then? Is that not personal?
    Better to conquer a realm than a void. What is the value in ruling over emptiness─over nothing!? I do not wish to live to see another Bozja Citadel. If you succeed in bringing down Dalamud, all of Eorzea will cease to be.
    Yes, but how much brighter the light that shines forth from the void! Think of it, Gaius! Within that nothingness lies the root of all creation─pure potential, limitless possibility! This is the wisdom of the ancients! Such depth! Such sublimity! Rapture! Complete and perfect rapture!
    Perfect? Do you not remember? That day ten years ago was an utter failure─a blemish on the legacy of Garlemald. We learned then we could not control where Dalamud would fall. That is why Meteor was abandoned. What you seek to do may very well destroy our own homeland! You speak of these Allagan tomestones, and claim they will protect us, but what protection is there to be had in the rubble of millennia past?
    You fear what you do not understand, Gaius. But now is the time to cast away those fears and trust in me. The technology of Allag far surpasses even the greatest of Garlemald's innovations. And it is House Darnus that holds the key to both its resurrection and its mastery.
    What are you saying? That with these tomestones, you will be able...to control the fall of Dalamud?
    Really, Gaius─must you be so grindingly pedestrian? The light of truth shines forth from my every word if you would only bother to look.
    ...Very well. I will put my faith in your words, as has the Emperor. We will find the tomestones you require.
    I'm hesitant to make a leap from "I need tomestones to control the fall of Dalamud with Allagan technology." to "I need tomestones because they have upon them incantations to cast the Meteor sorcery." There's a difference between Meteor the project and Meteor the spell. It sounds like he just wants to finish building the lunar transmitter (which was itself a technological substitute for Meteor) and have it work upon the moon. Darnus relies mostly on technology until that transmitter is destroyed.

For starters, wouldn't Nael telling Gaius that he, a pureblood Garlean, intended to cast one of the most famous and powerful magicks ever devised (credited to Shatotto, who existed long after Allag, at that) have been a ... really, really big red flag that something was not as it seemed?

I get nervous when things lack citations. FFWiki also claims that the fall of Ala Mhigo was the "Third Great Hyuran Migration," which was actually, like, eight hundred years before that.
    (9)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 05-17-2017 at 05:36 AM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Hayley Westenra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Oh, and the Nael van Darnus *we* knew was in fact Eula Darnes, Nael's elder sister. The real Nael died because of a mission his father sent him out on. Eula was the one obsessed with Allagan technology and history, which she saw fit that the House Darnus was her key to earning the secrets of Allagan Empire. So Eula was the one under the mask as Nael the whole time, which is why in Coil, Nael is unmasked as a woman. This is Eula. Her aether after the events of 1.0 was absorbed and twisted by Bahamut, and he used her essence as a puppet against you, the Warrior of Light. Which is why she also took on the body structure of Bahamut.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shalala Shala
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Just wanted to reiterate that the Meteor spell used in the LB3 and the spell used by Shatotto are different. Whereas the LB is basically an aether bomb. Shatotto's version brought down an object from the sky that was apparently made almost entirely of Dark Matter (source being the relic questline for blm)

The version used by Xande is likely closer to the LB version though I've never actually seen what it looks like when it goes off.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Lineage Razor
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    2] The original Dalamud was a machine, the spell cast by Louisoix was ... a spell. Why did the sealing spell look similar to the machine? Hard to say until something is conclusively stated, but a primal looks like you imagine it to be - the summoning of the Twelve manifested as their SYMBOLS, the main thing everyone who prayed to them associated them with in kind - perhaps expectation heavily influenced the appearance of the spell. Prayer that Dalamud would be returned to the heavens, that Bahamut would be rebound; these things would evoke an image of the satellite itself.
    After learning more about the Allagans, I thought about the whole spell-looks-like-Dalamud thing, and rather than speculate that the prayers of the people shaped the spell to look like the broken container, the conclusion I came to was more or less the opposite: That Dalamud was the shape that it was in mimicry of the containment spell. The Allagans were masters both of magic AND technology (if, indeed, there could be said to be any difference between the two; any sufficiently advanced science, and all that), and it could well be that the sphere-with-spines structure is simply the best choice for sealing a powerful primal. As such, they built Dalamud to channel aetheric energies in the same way that the sealing spell would, and the shape emerged naturally. I imagined that if you were to strip the metal out of Dalamud while it was in operation and just left the energy flowing through it, it would essentially look exactly like Louisoix's spell.

Naturally, this is just more speculation. I just found it personally interesting to see that Moose had observed the same thing and come to the opposite conclusion. XD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 90
    Almost exactly like the BLM one. It touches the ground (slowly) and shatters/explodes.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2