Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by KageTokage View Post
    I'm curious as to what the final boss of the 4.0 MSQ is going to be like, because compared to Ultima Weapon and King Thordan, an imperial legatus wouldn't seem all that impressive when we've already canonically taken on several primals solo.
    Don't be so quick to write off a Garlean legatus as being a wimpish fight though - Nael van Darnus was after all the final boss of version 1.0 and he she ended up channelling Bahamut's power through himself herself. Gaius though was sadly underwhelming as an opponent, which greatly disappointed me as I was long looking forward to a one on one fight with him after what he did to my Path Companion in 1.0, and he folded so easily. To say nothing of Regula.

Remember, legatee get to their positions by might not right, so don't discount the possibility of Zenos being 4.0's final boss after all, especially as he's the ruler of not one but two Garlean vassal states (although I am likely to agree it's probably going to be something that comes completely out of left field - this is Final Fantasy after all. ).

Quote Originally Posted by Cilia View Post
    Zenos was also shown to be rather intelligent, or at least possessed of a thorough spy network, as he correctly identifies Shinryu by name presumably mere hours after its appearance. That he enjoys standing on the front line suggests he is also a formidable opponent, and the trailer strongly hints that he indeed is - Zenos is seen fighting Lyse, who is saved only by a timely intervention by Y'shtola, as well as Yugiri, capable fighters all.
    I assumed that his foreknowledge of Omega came about because of Roaille, as her name kept being mentioned throughout 3.4 and 3.5's story - given that Omega was being mentioned way back in ARR's story, and that the whole reason Cartenau was being fought over was due to Omega being there (which Teledji wanted for himself), is pretty conclusive it was Zenos who was the final recipient of Roaille's espionage - he's known about Omega all along thanks to her (and, presumably us as well). The Ivy may be dead but the breadth her vines spread their bitter seeds are only now just being seen....

That said I don't believe Zenos is malevolent towards his people - he's apathetic, if anything, towards others in general. He fights not for conquest or survival, but for sport. I do hope there is more to him than that, but based on his actions in the past and the response doing nothing elicited from his adjutant, I think he's established himself as a credible threat.
    The website you quoted said that he was pretty malevolent - that final scene in 3.57 of him on Ala Mhigo's throne, where that hapless centurion reporting on the devastation wrought by Omega and Shinryu's battle, the look he gives the centurion where he dared to ask if they should devote some of their forces to reconstruction, resulting in the centurion very hastily backpedaling and making himself scarce, all but shows that. We've seen legatee do this repeatedly, killing their own troops on the slightest provocation after all (remember Nero and that Ala Mhigan infiltrator? The poor guy didn't even get a drumhead court martial, he was just killed outright on the spot.)

And besides, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't even Yoshi himself actually state that Zenos is a "monster" who "should not be sympathized with"? If his own creator outright states at how bloodthirsty and monstrous he is, then I think that's pretty conclusive that Zenos is nothing more than he appears to be, a dangerous antagonist that will probably have to be put down eventually for the greater good.
    (5)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 05-19-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Player
    Character
    Val Vermillion
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    Don't be so quick to write off a Garlean legatus as being a wimpish fight though - Nael van Darnus was after all the final boss of version 1.0 and he she ended up channelling Bahamut's power through himself herself. Gaius though was sadly underwhelming as an opponent, which greatly disappointed me as I was long looking forward to a one on one fight with him after what he did to my Path Companion in 1.0, and he folded so easily. To say nothing of Regula.
    In defense of Gaius you could argue he was past his prime and canonically fought the WoL and 7 other "mercenaries" at once based on the fact that other party members appear in cutscenes whereas with a lot of boss fights it's assumed that the WoL fights them on their own.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Light Khah
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by VargasVermillion View Post
    In defense of Gaius you could argue he was past his prime and canonically fought the WoL and 7 other "mercenaries" at once based on the fact that other party members appear in cutscenes whereas with a lot of boss fights it's assumed that the WoL fights them on their own.
    And then the WoL who cant defeat a single person alone left his/her friends to die because there was only one mount to ride out of that. (Interestingly in the German speech text of some bosses in those two instances they only talk like we are alone and I really hope that we are canonically alone there. Maybe we left those adventurers behind at the start of the instances and went on alone. Otherwise beating up all those solo fights with 7 other people would feel shameful. )
    (1)
    Letter from the Producer LIVE Part IX Q&A Summary (10/30/2013)
    Q: Will there be any maintenance fees or other costs for housing, besides the cost of the land and house?
    A: In older MMOs, such as Ultima Online, there was a house maintenance fee you had to pay weekly, but in FFXIV: ARR we decided against this system. Similarly, these older MMOs also had a system where your house would break down if you didn’t log in after a while in order to have you continue your subscription, but this is a thing of the past and we won't have any system like that.

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Gaius wasn't weak. In terms of pure PvE mechanics, sure - but in terms of his ability to fight he held up pretty well in terms of pure story. We need to remember that the Warrior of Light is surrounded by a ridiculous amount of plot armour, as are many of his allies. So, naturally, a consequence of that is certain antagonists end up getting shafted. For 4.0, though, it appears as though the antagonists will be given more build up and focus which will hopefully translate into them being shown to be both competent and deadly.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    J'talhdi Belhi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Its also worth remembering that Gaius was actually still standing at the end even after we broke Ultima. Its just he couldn't get clear of the exploding building.

Zenos is almost certainly going to be a monster but monsters can take a lot of forms. My hope his is arrogant but his arrogance is founded in actual ability, and that he is cruel but not because he has insecurity issue and rather just doesn't care about the wellbeing of others. I am still betting we find out he either has some form of powerful patron he cut a deal with or he stole the power of some being in Doma somewhere ala Thordian eating Ratatoskr's eyes. Going to Doma for allies seems stupid. Going to Doma to search for the secret behind something that makes him powerful makes sense. Maybe its linked to the whole 'spirits inside items' thing. Maybe his Katana hold some type of powerful spirit.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Alisette Dumont
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Belhi View Post
    I think there will definitely be an aspect of the cost of war but the expansion is clearly themed around liberation. I think at the end of it the actions of the WoL will be presented as the right call. Garlemald is clearly going to be the antagonists. I think the real fallout of this war cost wise will come afterward. I think its very unlikely that the WoL will be painted in a bad light. In the end the WoL is the protagonist and people don't want to feel like they are on the wrong side. That said showing that their is a human cost to their actions is worth while.
    It would actually be cool to have the liberation take place in 4.0 (or maybe up to 4.2?) and then have us deal with the aftermath in the rest of the patches.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Khalith Mateo
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by VargasVermillion View Post
    Snip.
    My theory is that Varis sent him there BECAUSE he's a loose cannon and loves to fight. His heir apparent is a violent loose cannon that loves to put himself in the most danger. So what do you do?

Put him in charge of a nation that has been thoroughly pacified and subjugated where is nothing that could even remotely pose a threat to him and ruling over the entire kingdom himself is a position worthy of an imperial prince.

But it's not what Zenos wants, I interpreted his smile as him being glad that something interesting was happening, he'd finally have someone to oppose him and fight against though I doubt he believes he can lose.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Trpimir Ratyasch
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    -snip-
    Well, knowledge of Omega obviously comes from the Ivy. It was brought up as a plot point in, what... 2.2? 2.3? before finally being tapped for plot relevance in 3.56. It was pretty much an open secret at that point. Shinryu, on the other hand, was a nascent primal - unless the Ivy's operatives are still active, there's no way Zenos should have been able to identify it. It's most highlighted in the adjutant's lack of knowledge about Shinryu (he calls it an "unknown eikon"), while Zenos is already aware of what the Domans are calling it through spies. Could be the Ivy's hangers-on.

Either way, it shows that Zenos is not just a dumb brute.

As for his attitude and opinion on others... he seems apathetic, not malevolent. He doesn't care about others - he simply doesn't care if they live or die. If they happen to get in the way of his goals or desires he will cut them down, but otherwise he simply doesn't give a damn. Zenos wants to stir up as much shit as he can so he can get a good fight out of it, from the sound of it - I'm currently pegging him as a villainous blood knight. That he would make no effort toward peace simply so he can get a good fight out of it... already makes him unsympathetic.

I get the feeling Yotsuyu may be more nuanced, and Fordola almost definitely will, but as it stands Zenos is just a battle-lusted blood knight. Suffice to say, Fordola is the antagonist I most look forward to clashing with at the moment. I'll strike down Zenos without a second thought if he refuses to surrender.
    (0)
    Trpimir Ratyasch's Way Status (6.55 - End)
    [ ]LOST [ ]NOT LOST [X] PvPING FOR SWAG
    "There is no hope in stubbornly clinging to the past. It is our duty to face the future and march onward, not retreat inward." -Sovetsky Soyuz, Azur Lane: Snowrealm Peregrination

Player
    Character
    P'liko Cuga
    World
    Sophia
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    get the feeling Yotsuyu may be more nuanced, and Fordola almost definitely will, but as it stands Zenos is just a battle-lusted blood knight.
    Which would be a bit of a shame. Zenos is the Emperor's son, and I'm hoping there'll be some characterization movement on that. At least something more complex than "he likes to fight", which seems more suitable for a supporting side character. Even Ser Grinnaux got more, if only barely.

I have a lot of hopes pinned on Yotsuyu's character description of "Yet all are the hero of their own story" to take the edge off the current apparent characterization of Sadistic Evil Viceroy. And I'm also definitely looking forward to seeing Fordola's motivations and viewpoints, but I'm also cautiously aware that there are so many ways to mess it up.
    (0)

Character
    Rastiana Bel'briar
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    The question in my mind is what kinda loser is zenos? Will he lose with grace as a warrior or would he be willing to go to extremes.... what if while fighting lyse, yugiri, and yshtola he decided to harness the power of self summoning and becomes susano much like thordan, estinian, and ysale have done...
    (0)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast