Player
    Character
    Chloe Grace
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 80

Fix the Animation Delay on Hallowed Ground

Really. It takes a full second and a half to kick in, long enough to go from full to dead with 4 groups or more.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Ratithgar Jovasch
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    SE just LOVES their animations. We can't have abilities go off when we press the button. Oh, no, we must have a cool.animation first. Animations and animation lock are just awful here.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Ferth Fontaine
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    Far too many abilities in this game don't take effect until the animations are finished.
    (5)

Player
    Character
    King Canadane
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    All the emergency-tier abilities works this way.
    Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, Living Dead, Benediction, Lustrate, etc.

It's very clearly by design choice they do this.
    (2)

http://king.canadane.com

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadane View Post
    All the emergency-tier abilities works this way.
    Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, Living Dead, Benediction, Lustrate, etc.

It's very clearly by design choice they do this.
    Yeah, at FanFest Tokyo 2014, one player tried a "Hear Me, Yoshi-P!"* about this topic as it applies to Benediction. Yoshi-P's answer was basically that the player needed to time his ability usage better. Player did not go home with an "I beat Yoshi-P" primal t-shirt.

He's right though. We've known for like four years that there's an absurdly long animation lock on these abilities. They're best used when they're preplanned, rather than as emergency abilities.

*HM,YP! was a stage event where each participant had two minutes to debate an issue with Yoshi-P. If the participant won the debate, s/he got to leave with an "I Beat Yoshi-P" t-shirt in the style of the primal shirts.
    (2)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Gunsa Cabalabob
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    They have answered this on the forums a long time ago, it's not animation delay that's the issue with HG/benediction, it's the order the server is registering things. When you activate hallowed ground the monsters have already landed their hits, the server is just catching up with them, that's why you can activate HG, take damage from a few hits then start taking 0 damage from some even when you're already dead, because the abilities were queued in that order.

It's not like rage of halone where the move just waits for the animation to end before applying the effect and can be clipped with an oGCD which I believe they could probably do something about if they wanted to.

My advice is to not think of HG as a CD to use when you're about to die, use it in planned situations like at the beginning of a massive pull so the healer has time to apply their HoTs and DoTs and do some AoEs without worrying about you for a while.
    (4)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 04-25-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthas View Post
    The anonymity of the internet is what leads people to become jerks online.

You could make a game where all you did was run through fields of flowers holding hands and you'd still get a guy telling you you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshiggs View Post
    Everyone knows you skip through fields of flowers holding hands, running noobs need to go back to WoW.

Player
    Character
    Matthias Gendrin
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 80
    I think the idea for putting in the animation lock was to encourage tanks to use it pro-actively, rather than as an "OH SHIT" button.

As I don't raid savage (yet), my only real use for Hallowed Ground this tier has been some of the nastier trash pulls in Sohm Al Hard; there's one in particular where you can get 7 or 8 really hard-hitting mobs together. Throwing Hallowed Ground at the beginning of that pull helps my healer not panic, and usually it's back up in time for the last boss, where it can do a really good job at protecting against the adds that also use the tankbuster.

EDIT: This isn't to say I agree with the design. I want a proper "OH SHIT" button.
    (3)

Beginner's Overview to Tanking in FFXIV: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/352455
    Learn to Play (it's not what you think): http://www.l2pnoob.org/

Player
    Character
    Keldon Allond
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Gunbreaker Lv 80
    I've been able to get some good use out of it when I can see that things are going sideways in a raid (I only do normal 8/24 raids, not savages). When my hp is hovering on the lower half, the whole raid is heavily wounded, and I know that more raid damage is going off soon, I use HG so that the healers don't have to worry about me for a bit and can stabilize the raid in preparation for the incoming damage: I don't use it to prevent ME from dying, I use it so the healers can prevent other people from dying, by not having to worry about me.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yui Oshima
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Blacksmith Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonseth07 View Post
    SE just LOVES their animations. We can't have abilities go off when we press the button. Oh, no, we must have a cool.animation first. Animations and animation lock are just awful here.
    Yeah it's another instance of lore and presentation getting in the way of functionality. It's something that SE has a problem with.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Tyrnia Edil
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterMan View Post
    Yeah it's another instance of lore and presentation getting in the way of functionality. It's something that SE has a problem with.
    Yeah, while playing other MMOs in the downtime until the expansion it feels so refreshing and enjoyable to play games that put gameplay first. Most of the time I won't even see much of the animations as I'll be zoomed out as far as possible to get the best overview so putting animations first is pretty much just a negative for me.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast