Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
    Player

Errr... jumping the ocean consistently adds around 100ms to latency.

Though I completely agree that the worst of our latency issues are being caused by the game server (as in the program running in the box, not the network hardware itself), I would rather play without those extra ~100ms.
    (2)
    Last edited by Ilean; 12-20-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Rarely Plays
    See your face upon the clear water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
    loltanaka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
    Wow you should not be playing MMO's. (I won't even address how wrong you are about everything in FFXI, I'm sorry you never got claims and were terrible at the game, that was your problem not "distance latency".)

I hear single player games have awesome "latency". Enjoy.
    What am I wrong about in FFXI? You had to do all your actions earlier than you would've in order to get them off successfully if you were playing from another continent in respect to where the servers were located. The same stands for every internet based game that exists. You cannot beat mathematics/physics no matter what you may think.

As for your last comment, you appear to just be trolling now, so I wont refrain from ignoring your future posts and possibly reporting you depending on how bad they become.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennestia View Post
    Read interviews. They state it all the time.
    I wouldn't know, the only attention I pay to FFXIV is on the Lodestone. I suppose I'll try to find and read over some articles that talk about it.

Also no, if I was able to play Rift from Japan with almost no latency problems distance is not a contributing factor compared to how well optimized your servers are. It's understandable if you're a european because europe has problems connecting to even American services, let alone asian services.
    This is more of an issue of where one is located relative to server locations, so the subject is pretty subjective and cannot be tested without second hand information.

I reside on the east coast of the US. If I connect to a server located in Asia, I have a good 250ms ping to it with no way around it. Connecting to the west coast of the US I get 80ms. That difference is night and day. It's even more drastic when I connect to one of the very few games that hosts east coast servers and get 10-15ms (and what a joy that is).

Light can only travel so fast; nothing will ever change that. That's the point I'm trying to make.

However FFXI versus FFXIV is light and day in terms of latency and they're both ran by the same company with development teams and servers in the same locations.
    Again, I wouldn't know how the difference is in present time. I played FFXI back when it was released up until 2005. No doubt technology advanced heavily since then to the point where they could heavily optimize the server infrastructure for FFXI.

This means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things -- It's all in the optimization and bandwidth on both ends, if you're also on Cable or Satellite, you're not ever getting full speed regardless.
    Yes, it was just for an example. For someone who goes from dial-up to a decent broadband connection, they're amazed at the clear difference it makes. That's what I was implying.

However, I have to refute your statement about cable internet. If you're on a congested node then yes, you only really get your full speeds at off hours when no one is using the service. But, with DOCSIS 3.0, channel bonding was introduced. Even if you're on a congested node, with channel bonding you'll be able to pull your provisioned speeds practically 24/7, unless the node is so heavily oversold that it just cannot support everyone pulling those speeds at peak hours, which by that time you should be considering changing ISPs.

I use cable internet and I get 60/8Mbps speeds 24/7. I have for the last 10 months. Depending on how my ISP decides to handle their service, those speeds may start to drop in the future if no more bonding channels are added and the node becomes oversold. As much as I would love a fiber optic service (for even less latency), they decided not to run down my street. How unfortunate for me.
    (0)

Player

Quote Originally Posted by DAOWAce View Post
    Light can only travel so fast; nothing will ever change that.
    Patiently waiting for zero-width wormholes to be invented...
    (0)
    Rarely Plays
    See your face upon the clear water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
    loltanaka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

Howdy! Yoshida has made a post stating that the world merge is currently being planned and would like to share the details here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida View Post
    Hi, this is Producer/Director Yoshida here.

I understand your concern on the number of concurrent users.

Actually the world merge is currently in plan.

We will first analyze the number of players in the game after the billing service begins.
    Based on that analysis, we will be running a simulation where the maximum concurrent access during the peak hours will become somewhere around 1500 to 2000 per World.
    * The above number is provisional and not a finalized number.

And with the method on how the world merge will be done, it will not be done in a simple method where World A and World B will merge into a single new World.
    In order for EU players to gather on the same server in a certain mass, we are planning to go with the method where the players from a World with a less population can designate the World they wish to transfer to.

With the details such as when and how it will be done, they will be announced once they are confirmed.
    (I'm assuming that the next update should become available in mid-January.)
    (69)
    Gildrein - Community Team

Player
    Character
    Renta Hamster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildrein View Post
    Howdy! Yoshida has made a post stating that the world merge is currently being planned and would like to share the details here as well.
    YES!

Good news
    (6)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Threads: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/s...vBForum_Thread

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Gildrein View Post
    Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Something I just realized - Yoshida actually used the word "mid" for the month of January, so whoever initially said that the Japanese use "early = 1 - 15 and late = 16 - 31" was incorrect.

That's good to hear though - and as I thought, the merger needs to be timely to keep the population that stays after 1/6. Very smart of Yoshida to realize the merger must happen in order to retain additional subscribers. Kinda wondering how they're going to decide which world will get to select where they go. How many worlds are going to be consolidated? If for example, my server, Saronia, gets to pick - what choices will they have to pick from? Will everyone be able to pick the "big" servers like Besaid and Lindblum or will the smaller worlds only be the ones merging with each other into one world?
    (1)
    Last edited by Bahn; 12-22-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    Proud member of the "why the the heck are giant obnoxious images allowed in signatures" club.

Quote Originally Posted by kensredemption
    I'd rather play solo than play with a bunch of elitists.

Player

finally SE make some sense o.O
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Oleas Aiedail
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 60
    Mixed feelings for me.
    I like it because it will breath life into the world, more players per server is always a good thing.
    At the same time I don't know how this speaks for the game itself.

I enjoy the game, stuff like this worries me a bit though.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Cesil Rapture
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Nice. Looking forward to more info on it!
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Alzelia Shey
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 50
    What is the most populous server?
    (0)

Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast