Player
    Character
    Kira Kagamine
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 52

How important are macros?

So, I play a DRG and a WHM. DRG is at lvl 47, WHM is lvl 35. So far, I have not really found a need to use macros, but later on, when I reach like lvl 60 in both, should I use macros? If so, how many are really important?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Karis Angara
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 80
    For actual combat, macros generally should not be used, with only a few niche exceptions. They can be handy for things like automatically setting pet skills to your hotbars when summoning different pets, changing a Warrior's skills depending on which stance you're in, and so on. Or just using them as text popups with sounds effects to alert people to mechanics in certain fights.

The thing with macroing weaponskills and spells is that macros don't queue like regular skills do, which means that there's always a longer delay when pressing a macro compared to just pressing a skill. You also can't make them wait less than whole seconds, and since a GCD is 2.4-2.5 seconds, you're automatically losing at least half a second if you try to macro several skills together.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Karuru Karu
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    as WHM i use a macro to replace the different stone skills on my hotbar depending on my level sync.

the only actual battle commands i use with macros are ground aoe effects. i can actual place them faster with /ac "Asylum" <t> than placing them with hand, even with the queuing issue.

then every WHM should have a text macro to call for help when your mana is low, like: /p Manasong please <se.2> ^^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hyomin Park
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    As a healer, I made a macro for when I'm raising someone, as I noticed a lot of the time while running 8-man or 24-man content, my co-healer kept trying to raise the same person as me. Of course, this still happens regardless of my macro, but less frequently.

For other jobs, I generally only use them for the ground AOEs, since it's faster than me manually placing it (especially since I play on controller, and my controller is possessed some times). Saves me tons of time when I'm placing my fire circle on BRD. A friend and I have a funny Berserk/Warden's Paeon macro set we use when running together.

On AST, I have useful macros for discarding cards I don't want, or for turning off an Expanded/Enhanced/Extended Royal Road, if need be.

Other than that, I reserve macro use for quick mechanic explanations, pastebin text image things, and making lists for certain boss mechanics (like ones that require people to spread out in the cardinal directions). I find the lists extremely useful for reminding everyone where they need to go for the mechanic, and not screw someone else over.

The only issue with them is that macros break sometimes, and don't go off properly due to the way they queue/function compared to other skills. I've noticed this when I'm raising people between DPSing, and end up swiftcasting my Malefic II, or my Warden's Paeon doesn't go off because I am trying to weave it in too quickly while DPSing.
    (1)
    Last edited by HyoMinPark; 04-18-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Character
    Shinigami Zetta
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    For DRG not really that important and rarely even use them at all. For NIN they help based for nin-jitsu, for Healers / SUM they are pretty good when raising.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Small Hobbit
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by CryBloodwing View Post
    How important are macros?
    macros are the most important thing in this game :O i couldnt live even one day without my self made emote macros!

regards hobbit
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ehrzeth Lahr
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 60
    You don't really need to use macros, I get by just fine without them. But like others have said, they can be useful for putting text into chat or changing hotbars, just don't recommend using macros for abilities. Some people might tell you to macro Swiftcast + Raise on healers, but I've had one too many incidents with lag eating the input for the Raise so Swiftcast would get wasted on another ability.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Iggy Platinum
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 70
    Mostly see useful macros to send info to teammates through chat about the ongoing battle. Also, emote chains are ok.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Wynne Yilmaz
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by ManuelBravo View Post
    For NIN they help based for nin-jitsu,
    Ninjas should never use macros for their ninjutsus.

The GCD for the Mudras are at .5 seconds while macros normally do actions as fast as one per second. Using macros for Ninjutsu makes them take more than twice as long as they need to, and that's not even including pressing the final button to use the ability!

Besides, Ninjutsus are very easy to remember; the only thing you need to know is how long the combo is and what the last Mudra is.
    (0)
    Last edited by magnanimousCynic; 04-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    I was the Almighty Enkidu for April Fools 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    To be fair, it's not so much a flame war as it's 12 pages of people agreeing the OP is an idiot.

Player
    Character
    Scraek Vex
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    I'm a new player and I'm finding macros very helpful to reduce the number of buttons I have to manage.

I make macros that do individual on-GCD skills and add all my "use it whenever it's up" off-GCD stuff to the same buttons. Instead of wait commands I just put in the raw list of skills and tap the key repeatedly. Doesn't slow me down because I put the on-GCD attacks high in the list, usually first or below things with long timers so they're typically done immediately whenever the global cooldown is over. Usefulness varies by class. Black Mage I don't find a lot of opportunity for macro's like this but Bard has a laundry list of junk on the Heavy Shot button.

Example from DRG:
    /macroicon "Chaos Thrust"
    /ac "Blood For Blood"
    /ac "Chaos Thrust"
    /ac "Dragonfire Dive"
    /ac "Haymaker"
    /ac "Mercy Stroke" (Might not want to macro this if you need the finishing blow for healing when solo...)
    (0)
    Last edited by VKhaun; 04-19-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast