Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Culfinrandir View Post
    Yes, there is. There's also a website that allows you to input the data from SSS to work out a decent approximation of your DPS. It is, effectively, a parser without needing to add any dodgy software.
    Except its not, it is taking damage from an unmoving target that has no attacks. If someone came to me with their SSS numbers I would be like "cool, so what?"

The only benefit to SSS is knowing that your gear is good enough to beat the fight.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Culfinrandir Caladel
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdafish View Post
    Except its not, it is taking damage from an unmoving target that has no attacks. If someone came to me with their SSS numbers I would be like "cool, so what?"

The only benefit to SSS is knowing that your gear is good enough to beat the fight.
    But it does mean that your rotations are good & that you are playing optimally. After all, that is the excuse people who parse use to justify the use of parsers - to ensure players are using optimal rotations.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Amelia Wafflesmack
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rongway View Post
    snippy snip
    Sorry, Sir, but you are wrong.

Yes, SE is not meant to hand out stat weights, but it is indeed bad game design to force their players use 3rd party software (Since when does a company want their costumers to rely on other companies?!) to get to know these weights.
    Or maybe I am missing something, so if you are able to find out the exact numbers of stat weights without a 3rd party software then please enlighten me.
    So far every single PS4 player needs to trust the people who use ACT to work out the stat weights. BTW ACT is a programm that needs adjustment as well, you can't just install it and it will give out precise numbers. According to this all of us console players have to trust in the skills of others.

You say the community needs to work together. I fully agree. But there is also the problem.
    Literally everyone playing on console is left out of that, because we can't participate in that field at all. How should we without being able to find out anything about our DPS? Sure. Stone, sea, sky puppets. Not precise at all, so not a valid argument.

Everyone keeps referring to those jerks harassing others for their DPS. What if those haven't even set their ACT correctly? Since you have no such tool/don't use it there is also no way to prove them wrong!
    I got pointed at once, because someone said I was heavily underperforming as BLM and that he saw it on his ACT. Luckily a friend of mine was with me and parsed as well and told them to get the setup right, because I was doing fairly well.
    But me, myself, playing on PS4 had no chance to prove him wrong and that is huge problem!

But it does mean that your rotations are good & that you are playing optimally. After all, that is the excuse people who parse use to justify the use of parsers - to ensure players are using optimal rotations.
    Also wrong. It might apply for casual content, but you have ACC caps in EX Primals and Savage Raids. The website is not telling you wether you missed nor how often. You don't get crit rates and don't see any statistics.
    Good luck working out a precise analysis without all of the information!

And just because some of you can't handle some d****bags being d****bags we, who really want to improve and min max to the fullest, should be punished?
    Not fair.
    (0)
    Last edited by AmeliaVerves; 04-20-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    I guess, but I know far too many people who are like "I do 3000 dps on the SSS dummy" when the parser in content puts them at >1000 because they die all the time, flub their rotations under pressure, and don't know how to adjust their rotations situationally.

Like I said, the data is only valid on a boss that doesn't move or do any mechanics at all.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaVerves View Post
    Sorry, Sir, but you are wrong.

Yes, SE is not meant to hand out stat weights, but it is indeed bad game design to force their players use 3rd party software (Since when does a company want their costumers to rely on other companies?!) to get to know these weights.
    Or maybe I am missing something, so if you are able to find out the exact numbers of stat weights without a 3rd party software then please enlighten me.
    Your entire argument is based on the presupposition that we are expected to know all the stat weights in a given game. We are not.

Note that I am not denying that one of the goals of the game is to get better, and to put out high numbers. However, one can enact that goal without knowing squat about damage formulas and the microphysiology of secondary stats.

A: "Hey B, accuracy hat or crit hat?"
    B: "Do you have X accuracy without the acc hat?"
    A: "Yes."
    B: "Crit hat."
    A: "Cool, thanks. Why X accuracy?"
    B: "I miss on Raid Z with (X - 1) but not with X."
    A: "Oh, that makes sense."

No parser necessary.

Faced with a less obvious choice, like having to choose between a det+crit chest and a det+speed chest, you can go a few rounds with a dummy and see, "Hey, with the det+crit chest, I killed 5 dummies with a 2m50s average, but with the det+speed chest, I killed 5 dummies with a 2m30s average. Maybe I should wear the det+speed piece."

And hey, no parser necessary there either.

Is it nice to know, down to the permille, how your stats affect your damage? Sure. Do you need to know with that sort of resolution? No. Does the lack of a parser prevent you from forming judgements about what gear you should wear or how you should job? No. (If you think the answer to this one was "yes," see this post).

So no, it's not bad game design, and nobody is forced to use third party software.
    (3)
    Error 3102 Club, Order of the 52nd Hour

Player
    Character
    Nic Pay
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Praisers help so much makes you want to improve all around, I know when Im tanking or healer it would be me tryin to out dps the dps thus improving my own dps. Never was toxic never called anyone out just really made you want to improve being on ps4 now you pretty much no nothing at all and it sucks. Its very important I am going to go back to pc just for this very reason because the game refuses to provide good tools for improvement. People are gona be toxic regardless I have learned that and sometimes it even makes you avoid certain content but at a certain point u just gota suck it up and put yourself out there and knowing you are constantly improving would help that right now you have 0 ways of knowing this.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Amelia Wafflesmack
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 80
    So no, it's not bad game design, and nobody is forced to use third party software.
    I suppose you never entered a Savage raid and you never did Gordios savage. If you did, you would have never said that last sentence.
    It would have been impossible to get those fights done (unnerfed and with minimal ilvl, which actually was, statics had to gear up as far as possible to be able to tackle a3s) without min maxing and pushing dps to its limit by maths and pars analysis.

Have a nice day in copperbell mines easy mode, Sir, in the meantime I will go on fighting for equal rights for PC and PS4 players and giving an ingame parser to finally give fair chances.

Quote Originally Posted by bswpayton View Post
    right now you have 0 ways of knowing this.
    I think this is a huge problem as well.
    A lot of people think they are doing pretty well, while in reality they are underperforming really bad. If they'd get a parser just for themselves it might open their eyes and they would be more open for suggestions and help from others instead of being butthurt if someone tells them they are not as good as they could be. :/
    (1)
    Last edited by AmeliaVerves; 04-20-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Player
    Character
    Nic Pay
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Your entire argument is based on the presupposition that we are expected to know all the stat weights in a given game. We are not.
    I never understood why people thought that a dummy actually mattered it does nothing it stands in one spot it doesnt have mechanics, do you think if on zur extreme that if there where no fire puddles that it would be as hard as it is now to skip soar I dont figure as much as it is now. The thing is mechanics effect dps so pretending like they dont is just ignoring that they even exist, so instead of just wondering how much your rotation puts out on a dummy its more important to know the windows and how to do good dps under stress and movement. At this point if gear was the only thing that mattered with most people having ilvl 260 on their mains then everyones dps would be exactly the same but its not.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Xizzy Azenith
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 80
    No. Parsers have their place but general content is definitely not one of them. This game is tuned so that you can get away without doing a finger-blistering top-dps rotation when in story mode dungeons or during FATE farming. Those who benefit most (& claim to *need* parsing) already use it. Everybody in this game has more than enough material both in & out of game to help improve & master rotations & the like.
    Have you ever met a PS4 player?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lodestone Bait
    World
    Pandaemonium
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdafish View Post
    Like I said, the data is only valid on a boss that doesn't move or do any mechanics at all.
    More generally: Any parse is technically only valid for that particular boss.

Since every boss has a different set of mechanics, that means you'll have different uptime, might be more prone to lose Enochian, have to cancel casts more often, might miss positionals more often, there might be AoE in one boss to inflate your numbers but none on another etc etc.

And even then, not all comparisons are valid - Parse runs typically have two Astrologians feeding one person balance cards to inflate their numbers. That's not easily comparable to someone whose group might not have an Astrologian at all. You won't get his numbers, period.
    Likewise, your MCH numbers in a comp without a DRG are not directly comparable to a comp with a DRG. The latter will systematically do more damage depending on debuff uptime.

So even if you got a parse number of a live fight, that's not telling the full story. You need to meticulously analyze the parse of the entire fight and tediously calculate out the synergy effects to get a valid number that can be used for comparison. Technically.
    (1)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast