Player
    Character
    Krolja Ajor
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90

TT Tourney

I played in my first TT tournament this week and managed to pull ~1700ish points, and after checking today I noticed the players that took the top spots are all around 2000-2100 points with maybe 1-2 more wins than me.

Did I make a mistake playing 18/20 matches against players? Should I farm some NPCs for some free guaranteed points -- even if it's lower than a win against a real player?

I've been racking my brain and Google-fu has failed me. Any TT experts out there that can offer me some tips? Thanks!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Karuru Karu
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    normally you should get more points for playing against real players.

you also get more points when you win with a weaker deck, like winning with a 1 star deck against a 3 star deck for example gives you more points than winning with a 3 star deck against a 3 star deck of your opponent. win trading maybe? it's still possible, just much harder.

or your opponents had weaker decks than you, then you got less points of course
    (0)
    Last edited by Tint; 04-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Player
    Character
    Suzuran Shiraishi
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Draws don't give much less points than wins. However, losses give a lot less than draws. Someone with 11 wins, 8 draws and 1 loss will probably have more points than someone with 12 wins, 2 draws and 6 losses, for example. The problem is that the leaderboard only shows wins, but not draws/losses.

Playing against NPCs is not gonna get you to 2000-ish points, so please forget about this idea. I *think* that even a draw against a human player gives more points than a win against an NPC.
    (1)
    Innocence doesn't mean an absence of wickedness, nor is it represented by the absence of anger or hatred. Innocence is when seeing others hurt also hurts you. When one becomes blind to the people suffering in the world, that is what it means to have lost one's innocence.

Player
    Character
    Kai Lee
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    Nope, a draw only nets around 80-82 points, a win against low npcs in the battle hall nets 86-87 points, a win against high decks is around 120 points, you want to win as many games as possible against real players while minimizing your lost.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sana Cetonis
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    It's all about the win-loss gap. Rounding, wins are worth 120, draws 80, and losses 40. Wins against NPCs are worth 80.

What this means is, relative to playing an NPC, a win and a loss against a human "cancel each other out". 8 wins, 8 losses and 4 draws is the same as 20 wins against NPCs.

To get 2,000 points, you'd just need to go, say, 12 wins / 2 losses / 6 draws. Which can certainly happen with the right mix of skill and luck.

Strategically, this means DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TAKE A DRAW. Don't gamble on a prayer hunting a win when you can for-sure force a draw. It's rarely worth it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Molic Evac
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Carpenter Lv 70
    It's all about not losing, just use a 3* deck and try to draw every time. Only take the win when you are certain. You will net 1800-2000+ points every time.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Krolja Ajor
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Would you suggest just the normal 3* deck even with Open/Plus rules? I'm AWFUL at playing Plus decks so I've been really reluctant to play much this tournament.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tesla Silvermane
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 70
    The best way to get good at the different rules is to practice. The best way to practice is to play against PCs in tournaments. You will always get a prize of some sort regardless of your final score, so just go for it! You will quickly get a feel for which cards are helpful and which are not for the different rule types. Good luck!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Suzuran Shiraishi
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolja View Post
    Would you suggest just the normal 3* deck even with Open/Plus rules? I'm AWFUL at playing Plus decks so I've been really reluctant to play much this tournament.
    That one's a toughie. I remember a tournament that used the Plus and Three Open rules. There is a *much* different dynamic between Three Open and All Open. I recall using the Fat Chocobo and Cloud cards in the Plus/Three Open tournament, because both those cards were less usual and I could take the opponent by surprise with either of those cards. But in All Open, there is no such surprise. Fat Chocobo remains completely usable to screw the opponent over in their placement, however, and I suggest it. In the Plus rule, the best tech card is probably one that can take your opponent's 8 sides with Plus, without being at risk of your opponent doing the same to you.
    (0)
    Innocence doesn't mean an absence of wickedness, nor is it represented by the absence of anger or hatred. Innocence is when seeing others hurt also hurts you. When one becomes blind to the people suffering in the world, that is what it means to have lost one's innocence.

Player
    Character
    Krolja Ajor
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Do you think Onion Knight could also be a viable option with the Fat Chocobo in the deck? I noticed since he's an 8 in North and South, most of the super common safe 8 cards are easily Plus'd with Onion Knight. Would it be safer to just use Squall/Terra?
    (0)