Player
    Character
    Lavernius Jetto
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50

SMN Rotation/priority question for endgame raids/content

Hi All, I just got back after a 2yr hiatus (stopped at leviathan)
    I am level 52 right now but I want to make sure I am the BEST SMN I can be once I hit lategame so ive read up on some guides and some abilities that I get.

SO it seems like everything revolves around trance

IM assuming this is my priority/rotation on 1 target bosses/villains
    i ll leave out eye for eye, contagion and virus

Apply dots
    pop aetherflow
    Fester
    then I want to get to trance ( I dont know what to spam to have it stack to 3 stacks)

once trance is available

spam ruin III until dots are all gone, rinse repeat.

is that pretty much it?
    (0)

Character
    Tifa's Soulstone
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Welcome back

First of all Fester, Bane, Drain and Painflare will give u trance stacks.
    So there are different combinations to get in trance.

Like you said smns shouldn't follow a fix rota but more a priority system based on different steps:

– Applying Dots (Either as hard casts or Tri-Disaster*)
    – Buffing your Egi (find a good spot for Rouse, Spur and Enkindle**)
    – Getting into trance (Fester, Painflare, Drain and Bane will give stacks***)
    – Burst-Window (while in Trance Ruin lll is your go to skill)
    – Deathflare (Trance-Finisher and your strongest DMG skill over all)

* although you can use Tri in your opener to set all DoTs at once, be aware that Tris real potential will break through while you are a in trance (combined with Garudas contagion)
    ** fitting your Egi in your priority-system can be adjusted situational because they are all oGCD
    *** there are different openers which use different combinations to get into trance – spamming three different skills after each other is the fastest way if DoTs are up. Max dps on the other hand is using Fester 3x.

there are other skills as well which can/should implemented situational like shadow flare/miasra ll or your utility and cross-cls skills like raging strike, e4e, virus and raise.

I wouldn't think about the overall system until you got all your skills, because with every new skill your prio might change... ^^
    Just enjoy your cls-story and get used to the single skills after you obtain them via your job-quests -> than come back and see which opener fits best for you

sincerly yours
    Yuna
    (1)
    Last edited by Neela; 04-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Player
    Character
    Mandar Magoo
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 80
    Various ways to do it really. Personally, on single targets I just Fester to get the stacks necessary for Trance (sometimes an Energy Drain between two Festers if I'm impatient). With Ruin II and book smacks between. If it's a mob, Bane, Painflare, Painflare.

Once I get into Dreadwyrm Trance I pop Raging Strikes, Tridisaster/Contagion (and if it's on a mob, I'll quickly refresh aetherflow and Bane that), Rouse/Spur/Enkindle. Then Ruin III spam. and of course end with deathflare. ^_^

Of course this all varies depending on the situation, but that's a fairly average opener for me.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Silverquick Fox
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    I don't know honestly because it can vary so much... depending on the mechanics of the fight.

Generally though when I'm approaching single target boss mobs... you know its going to be a marathon fight... so...

I don't generally use Tri-Disaster until later in the fight when I know I'll have to be dodging mechanics.

So I'll start with a Bio 2, Miasma, Bio combo... then a Contagion.... and a Quick Cast + Shadowflare... then Rouse +Spur + Enkindle... depending on my mood.

At that point I've got 30 seconds worth of DoTs going and can Fester at will,

So its generally Fester>Ruin 3, Ruin 3> Fester> Ruin 3> Ruin 3> Fester> Dreadwyrm Trance> Ruin 3 Spam until the 2-3 second Mark (Potentially a Tri Disaster in there somewhere) > Deathflare

If its towards the end of the fight I'll kick in Raging Strikes too.
    (2)

Character
    Tifa's Soulstone
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    you separate raging strike out of your opener and tri-disaster out of trance (& contagion)? :O

holding back tri for an emargency/movement moment is... a hard loss of dps : (((
    (4)
    Last edited by Neela; 04-10-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Player
    Character
    Silverquick Fox
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Neela View Post
    you separate raging strike out of your opener and tri-disaster out of trance(& contagion)? :O

holding back tri for an emargency/movement moment is... a hard loss of dps : (((
    Not necessarily... I will use Raging Strikes in the opener... but I've noticed that fights on boss mobs tend to be over before Raging Strikes ever comes up again.

So it depends on where in the fight I will need it most. Obviously you should know the fights well enough by now to know that some you DONT want to pop your Raging Strikes until the critical DPS check moment.

Tri-Disaster during the opener while nice... is not going to do you much good in a fight where later on you're going to be dodging a ton of mechanics, and you'll lose just as much DPS at that point if you can't get or keep your DPS on an opponent.

So it is not as cut and dried as you are contending.
    (1)

Character
    Tifa's Soulstone
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    its not that tri-disaster has an endless cd... and especially in the beginning in your first trance... raging strike+tri+con should be the base of your overall dps... if you need raging strike for a dps-check your overall dps seems to be lacking for the content itself. : /

edit: i haven't looked it up yet but I think tri & con got the same cd and work very well as pair
    (2)
    Last edited by Neela; 04-10-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Player
    Character
    Silverquick Fox
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    And then you wonder why...

I say you nit pick me needlessly....
    (0)

Character
    Tifa's Soulstone
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    no I just try to understand why you are doing it like you do - I don't want to be mean : (
    you are right that RS can help at dps-checks in progress but its still a loss if u don't use it in your opener...
    (2)
    Last edited by Neela; 04-11-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Player
    Character
    Mandar Magoo
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Neela View Post
    its not that tri-disaster has an endless cd... and especially in the beginning in your first trance... raging strike+tri+con should be the base of your overall dps... if you need raging strike for a dps-check your overall dps seems to be lacking for the content itself. : /

edit: i haven't looked it up yet but I think tri & con got the same cd and work very well as pair
    I think you're right, for me at least I always use them in Dreadwyrm (gives some really nice extended damage once DT ends <3 ) so their cooldown time must be fairly close together if they're not the same. Even with mechanics, losing a couple ticks of bio/miasma by manually reapplying is still a DPS gain once you tridisaster under Trance. \o/
    (2)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast