Character
    Gunsa Cabalabob
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

So about Yda...

So in the final cutscene with Yda

she reveals that she is not Yda but her little sister and that the real Yda died 6 years ago. But if that's true then does that mean she isn't the same Yda we knew in 1.0? We were in stasis for 5 years between 1.23 and 2.0, there must have been some time between 2.0 and 3.0. And 1.0 to 1.23 was probably longer than a year. So when exactly did the original Yda die? Was it before we met her? During the time we knew her? Or after the calamity?
    (3)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 03-29-2017 at 06:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthas View Post
    The anonymity of the internet is what leads people to become jerks online.

You could make a game where all you did was run through fields of flowers holding hands and you'd still get a guy telling you you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshiggs View Post
    Everyone knows you skip through fields of flowers holding hands, running noobs need to go back to WoW.

Player
    Character
    Zohar Lahar
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Maybe it was that one quest with Gaius, before the whole Seventh Umbral Era story arc?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    There have yet to be any indications that the Great Time Bubble has been breached, so this revelation likely cleanly severs 1562 Echo Yda from 1.0-Present Yda and had her die offscreen in 1571 (not that they knew that back in the 2010 development cycle, or probably even the 2012 development cycle, lol).

My assumption for the time being is that Lyse was around 9 years old when the Echoes of 1562 were taking place, where we saw true Yda, and around 19 years old when she showed up and punched Gaius van Baelsar in the face wearing her sister's mask during the attempted airship theft in 1.0.
    (13)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-29-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Character
    Kyara Moonbane
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    I was wondering the same thing in a Discord just a bit earlier xD
    That time-bubble really is the problem here. Are we talking one year pre-calamity for her death? Shortly before the calamity? Or even after the calamity? Did the bubble get expanded, or are we still within one year after the calamity, which wouldn't make any sense? There are, for me, at least three possible points in time when she could have died, and I guess we will never know unless the def team tells us.

Personally I favor a time shortly after the calamity, since I think time-bubbles are bs, to put it frankly. Thus, 1.x characters still knew the real Yda, while 2.0 players never really met her. However, if you rp, you can rp whatever you want, that you knew her, that you didn't, etc. As always in this game.
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Naria Starcatcher
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Yeah the time bubble is annoying when trying to pin events down. I really wish they had just committed to a regular timeline and made each expansion/series take place over a year or something. It is just going to keep getting more confusing here on out, but it is too late to change at this point without rerecording dialogue, which they aren't going to do.
    (2)
    Last edited by Naria; 03-29-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Player
    Character
    W'fharl Tia
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    Anyone else caught off-guard by how Lyse seemed to have twice the facial polygon count of the rest of the cast? Goodbye, PS3 support.
    (13)
    あっきれた。

Player
    Character
    Dia Lancea
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuka3 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing in a Discord just a bit earlier xD
    That time-bubble really is the problem here. Are we talking one year pre-calamity for her death? Shortly before the calamity? Or even after the calamity? Did the bubble get expanded, or are we still within one year after the calamity, which wouldn't make any sense? There are, for me, at least three possible points in time when she could have died, and I guess we will never know unless the def team tells us.

Personally I favor a time shortly after the calamity, since I think time-bubbles are bs, to put it frankly. Thus, 1.x characters still knew the real Yda, while 2.0 players never really met her. However, if you rp, you can rp whatever you want, that you knew her, that you didn't, etc. As always in this game.
    I think setting it 6 years ago might hint that maybe a year has passed, if it was 8 years ago or something similar, no one would have questioned it. I think its time to move the bubble on a bit, they don't have to redo all the old dialogue in old quests since all the ARR quests seem to take place in the same timeframe, despite when they're played. (eg - Dragoon storyline during 3.3, still takes place in ARR time). Stormblood should be a clean year, add another year onto the counter, old references from ARR and HW don't matter, because the references happened in ARR/HW time. The bubble is a good idea, but at some point it begins to stretch credibility.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy2nd View Post
    I think setting it 6 years ago might hint that maybe a year has passed
    My only hang-up on this point is that Yda opens this very story by saying that Ala Mhigo fell twenty years ago.

Until something says Ala Mhigo was twenty-one years ago, or the Calamity was six years ago, or Silvertear was sixteen, I have to give the benefit of the doubt to something as concrete and specific as the bubble, which has survived being questioned dozens of times before.

I might be in the minority there, lol.

I admit also that I find it interesting (No judgement, I promise!) that some people find it more confusing to use the system where the dates don't change, where no adjustments are required, where you can always rely on the same formula.

If it's more than five years past, subtract it from 1577. "Yda died six years ago." [1577 - 6 = 1571]. That entire year was over before 1.0 opened. It feels pretty cut and dry to me if Ala Mhgo still fell twenty years ago.
    (12)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 03-29-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Auriana Redsteele
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 82
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    My only hang-up on this point is that Yda opens this very story by saying that Ala Mhigo fell twenty years ago.

Until something says Ala Mhigo was twenty-one years ago, or the Calamity was six years ago, or Silvertear was sixteen, I have to give the benefit of the doubt to something as concrete and specific as the bubble, which has survived being questioned dozens of times before.
    "Twenty" might be a rounded number - one could say something happened twenty years ago even if it was actually 19 or 21 years ago.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    J'talhdi Belhi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    As someone said in one of the other threads, the lore book offers some hints to support that Yda died prior to the events surrounding the Calamity. After all Lyse said she died in smuggling refugees out and lore book says the Circle of Knowing was trying the same thing just prior to the events leading up to the Calamity and the Garleans caught wind of it and a lot of people died. The timing of the event and Yda's death would strongly suggest that the events mentioned were one and the same.
    (8)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast