Player
    Character
    Anneliese Sibyl
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 60

NEW Healer Job [MECHANICS] Ideas

I thought this would be a cool topic, esp. since ppl seem to think stuff like
    "What will a new healer even do? We have a big heals/regen healer and a shield healer already. AST was just a combo of them with a [card] twist."
    Well, how about healers based on:

1) Direct physical/magic defense. It'd be different from SCH, whose main healing specialty is nullifying based on amount healed.
    2) Damage dispersion. Ex: making a single 30k hit dispersed amongst many.
    3) Damage reflection. Like reflecting damage taken back as the healer's DPS.
    4) Damage absorption.
    5) Damage delay. Ex: making a single 30k hit into a 5k hit for 6 ticks. Or with holding damage with a meter to be dealt later (though this could be abused). TIME MAGE, anyone?
    6) MAINLY HoT based healer with limited direct heals (like Cure). Uses STACKS to make HoT heal all at one time (think BLM Thundercloud, but it wouldn't reapply the HoT.) [I know it's based on a healer from WoW, but it's still cool]

Thoughts/ideas?
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Advent Shadowsoul
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Anneliese;4060292
    1) [B
    Direct physical/magic defense.[/B] It'd be different from SCH, whose main healing specialty is nullifying based on amount healed.
    2) Damage dispersion. Ex: making a single 30k hit dispersed amongst many.
    3) Damage reflection. Like reflecting damage taken back as the healer's DPS.

Thoughts/ideas?
    This sounds alot like the Calculator Job from tactics, cross with some time mage/bubble healing. I like where youre going with this
    )the dispersion reminded me of calculators passive called "distribution" im not sure if this was another trait they had that took overhealing and placed itonto more damaged players also btw, it could act as a catalyst for whm who tend to overheal) that would help to synergize with whm, and maybe other healers as well if bubblimg stacked with shields enabling them more effective
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Anneliese View Post
    Thoughts/ideas?
    I don't see any issue with any of them. They look good. I'd just like to see any reworks of the first three healer classes for versatility, flow, differentiation, etc., done before we start considering which of these might warrant a new job (in my opinion, no mechanic by itself can entirely warrant a new job, but it might become a good centerpiece for the other factors that may).

You even covered the one obvious issue with a HoT healer. I won't play it, since as per your reference, I imagine it would play like a Resto druid, which I found easily the dullest healing spec, but hey, all the more power to those who would like it. ...So long as it doesn't become a consistently overpowered FotM/P/Y/G.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Freyja Valkyrie
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    One with other ways to benefit the party instead of dpsing during downtime. (like a channeled buff or something, a buff that only last while channeled). At least then there will be a pure support/heals instead of hybrid dps so the whole not-dps/dps arguments will finally end.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Advent Shadowsoul
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiro--Tsubasa View Post
    One with other ways to benefit the party instead of dpsing during downtime. (like a channeled buff or something, a buff that only last while channeled). At least then there will be a pure support/heals instead of hybrid dps so the whole not-dps/dps arguments will finally end.
    '
    long as theyre capable of soloing solo content id be down
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiro--Tsubasa View Post
    To be fair, unless some of those buffs would be benefiting DPS—in which case you're DPS in the same sense that Ninja or Bard is compared to Monk—they or your heals would go largely to waste.
    You're not going to suddenly be free of the only primary form of output just because you're not seeing damage numbers from your own casts.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Reigne Bo
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurrikhan View Post
    To be fair, unless some of those buffs would be benefiting DPS—in which case you're DPS in the same sense that Ninja or Bard is compared to Monk—they or your heals would go largely to waste.
    You're not going to suddenly be free of the only primary form of output just because you're not seeing damage numbers from your own casts.
    I have seen a few posts that suggest content only needs one and a half healers not 2 whole ones, so my suggestion would be that duties require 1 dps healer and 1 full healer. The dps healer could be one that dpses to heal at half potency of a full healer, that can fully heal as a change of stance. So if you get put with a full healer you change stance to dps heal. Damage output heals at the same time at half potency of full healer, and half potency of damage. How the heals work would be going to the lowest health player first. Any over healing converted back to mana
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Aleph Alpha
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyona View Post
    I have seen a few posts that suggest content only needs one and a half healers not 2 whole ones, so my suggestion would be that duties require 1 dps healer and 1 full healer. The dps healer could be one that dpses to heal at half potency of a full healer, that can fully heal as a change of stance. So if you get put with a full healer you change stance to dps heal. Damage output heals at the same time at half potency of full healer, and half potency of damage. How the heals work would be going to the lowest health player first. Any over healing converted back to mana
    And then after optimizing and gearing up everyone will ditch the full healer and bring two of the half healers. In the currently hardest content, a12s, the top groups already have both healers having 70%+ cleric stance uptime (probably 80%+ if you exclude the downtime while waiting for divine judgment).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Reigne Bo
    World
    Omega
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by aleph_null View Post
    And then after optimizing and gearing up everyone will ditch the full healer and bring two of the half healers. In the currently hardest content, a12s, the top groups already have both healers having 70%+ cleric stance uptime (probably 80%+ if you exclude the downtime while waiting for divine judgment).
    Im not sure because the half healer wouldnt have the big heals necessary for tank busters etc and their only healing output would be through damage, not being able to choose where it goes. I woul suggest that that class could also go dps as change of stance but no change of stance during a battle. It would mean however that if the content required two full healers you have the option, or 1 and ahalf, or solo suits every level of skill group
    (0)
    Last edited by Feyona; 03-06-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aren Specter
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 90
    One of the issues with adding a new healer is that our current healers lack identity...
    We so far have whm- heals with both nature magic (drawing magic out of the land basically) and white magic. We have ast- which heals with - ??? star magic? And we have Sch, which heals with - the power of math and the fairy? Conjurer seemed to have a good identity... before whm. Then it got kind of muddled. Astro has some good spell effects that focus on astral magic (stars in the animations) but it could be increased to really make them feel like a celestial healer. Sch... I don't know it's ok, probably the best of the 3, but having the healing magic be green like conj was a bad move to me. They should have changed that to make the spell animations feel more unique from conj spells.

I'll focus on two types of healer I think would add unique identities to the game. My knowledge is based in MMORPGs, not in past FFXIV games so what I suggest probably won't line up with jobs they may add int he future. Perhaps they can make more original classes idk.

1. Something akin to purifier class in rift- uses fire magic to cleanse through flame and provide wards to prevent damage. It's been awhile since I've played Rift but I played this healer when I did and the spells were pretty neat. I like it because you don't traditionally associate fire magic with healing in MMOs so it felt pretty unique and cool.

2. A water magic healer. I guess like warden or half way like resto sham in wow minus the other elements. Spells like riptide and healing rain always seemed cool. The only healer we have now that uses water is conj but it's only a bit.... so I think there's an opening to do cool stuff.

However, I still agree with thier decision to not add another healer at this time. It's clear from thier recent statement in the korean LL that their perception of healer balance is still really off. Balance isn't "all the healers are viable". That's the minimum. Balance is when you can bring any comp of healers and have the difference be negligible. I'm hoping they work on this in the expac and don't just put it off... healers are at least as unbalanced as tanks if not more so but all we heard is tank changes but healers are balanced. Not good.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast