Player
    Character
    Sigurd Nordskov
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 74

Is my issue latency or?

I'd like to preface this by saying I play on PS4.

Anyway, I don't really have a problem avoiding AOEs or anything. I mean I have to dodge them before 75-80% cast bar finish but that's not really the point of this post...

My question is in relation to the fact that I absolutely cannot double weave oGCD abilities without clipping into my GCD, even if it's at 2.4s. I see people in videos and on-stream doing it effortlessly, but I can't.

Also, when I do Triple Fell Cleave, at the end where you'd do Fracture > Fell Cleave > Infuriate > Fell Cleave, I cannot get the last Fell Cleave in even at 1s left on Berserk timer, and if I reverse Fracture and Fell Cleave the result is still the same. Again, I see people do stuff like this effortlessly.

I live in NA and I play on an EU server. Is latency my issue, or is it the fact that I play on a vanilla PS4?

Edit: On the little "sending and receiving" icon, on an EU server I typically get something like Sending: 624, Receiving:612 whereas on NA I get something like Sending:412, Receiving:2548. What do these numbers mean to me?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Xixi Eclipse
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    That does sound like latency, governed by how far you are from the server you play on, as well as how your ISP routes. It's not something you can test on a PS4, but assuming you have a regular computer attached to the same network as the ps4, you can do a traceroute to your server and see how long the trip takes.

But really, if you're in NA, you whould get much lower latency and better routing to the NA servers than the EU ones.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sigurd Nordskov
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by XiXiQ View Post
    That does sound like latency, governed by how far you are from the server you play on, as well as how your ISP routes. It's not something you can test on a PS4, but assuming you have a regular computer attached to the same network as the ps4, you can do a traceroute to your server and see how long the trip takes.

But really, if you're in NA, you whould get much lower latency and better routing to the NA servers than the EU ones.
    By pinging the IP addresses on the arrstatus site via the cmd prompt, I get something like 250ms for the Chaos data center, and around 50 for for Aether data center. Is this difference really so vast that it'd prevent something as simple as Spinning Edge>Kassatsu+Internal Release>Gust Slash going smoothly? Is ping/connection really connected to animation cancelling and the like?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Callinon Soulforge
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyEkans View Post
    By pinging the IP addresses on the arrstatus site via the cmd prompt, I get something like 250ms for the Chaos data center, and around 50 for for Aether data center. Is this difference really so vast that it'd prevent something as simple as Spinning Edge>Kassatsu+Internal Release>Gust Slash going smoothly? Is ping/connection really connected to animation cancelling and the like?
    Yes that difference is enormous.

Remember that every ability you press has to make a round trip to and from the server. This is a problem I've been having lately (due to packetloss not latency but the effect is similar).

So that means that Snipping Edge has a quarter second (250ms) round trip to both register you pushed the button and deliver the result to your client. This as opposed to 1/5 that duration. Your client will update the instant is has the new data but in the meantime you've pushed a couple other buttons that may or may not correctly queue in and register properly. Then each of those has to make their own quarter second round trip, update your client, and deal with whatever you've queued up after that. Each time this happens you're losing time because of the lengthy round trip until eventually you reach a point where you're outside the window for queuing abilities and you drop one (or more) because your client is too far behind.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Xixi Eclipse
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyEkans View Post
    Is this difference really so vast?
    absolutely, the above post is correct. on 250 MS you can contact the server for updates 4 times a second max (though 3 is probably more realistic). With 50ms you can do it 20 times.
    You will see aoes delayed/shortened, and will only get a single OGC in between skills without it clipping time. You end up losing about 10% dps for every 100ms or so.

I was on Odin, pings were about 270 at the time. When they moved it to EU it was impossible, more like 400. I moved to Tonberry, get about 120ms. The difference in game play is quite stark.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    I'shtola Maqa
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 90
    I have also had issues past few weeks. Resulting in my timing being way off for casting and my enochian.
    My spell speed seems much slower at times, almost as if i have 800 ss as opposed to the 1200 i actually have.
    It is annoying the hell out of me, and i actually do reside in Canada and play on PS4 Pro
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sigurd Nordskov
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 74
    Okay, late reply, sorry.

So if all of my skills are effectively delayed by 250ms, does this mean that in a 180s fight where I would normally get 90 GCDs assuming I had a 2s GCD, I'd effectively get something like 60-70 GCD instead of the 90 I'd assume?

Lastly, would playing a caster such as summoner help alleviate some of my DPS issues? Based on what little play I've done with my SMN on SSS, it's pushing only 200 less DPS than my NIN at i210 vs i250, but I don't know if that's because it's not as heavily affected by latency or that the gear gap isn't *that* large.

I just want to play the best I can so that I am not a hindrance to anyone I may be matched with.

Thanks in advance, and thanks as well for all the insight you have provided me thus far.

Edit: Also, sorry if my math is off. I'm admittedly very bad at math since I've been out of school for 5 years aha.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Xixi Eclipse
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    You'll always lose DPS with higher latency - but you will see slightly less of a loss for the dot-heavy jobs, like smn and brd. I don't think the difference would be enough to worry about choosing a job based on that alone though.
    (0)