Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Rastiana Bel'briar
    World
    Malboro
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Unmend is for pulling, provoke is for tank swapping or grabbing aggro from someone who stole it and is pulling too hard to easily steal it back... you sound like you just want ez mode tanking
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Vaul Ri
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 58
    Ez mode tanking is paladin, and guess what...paladin have about same number of skills to use as dark Knight. Paladin is boring imo.

Not number of skills make challange but complexity of mechanic.
    Mana management and dark arts is what makes DK challanging and interesting not number of buttons to press.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalithar View Post
    1. DoT effects are an easy way to increase someone's dps without having to actually buff how hard their other abilities hit. However, they aren't really very exciting and (in my opinion) are no different than the "maintenance" buffs like straight shot, heavy thrust, maim, etc. I wouldn't mind not having to hit Scourge every 24~ seconds on my drk, Goring Blade isn't so bad, it gives Paladin a nice steady rotation to work with (Goring, RAx2, Goring, RAx2, repeat), most Warriors don't even use Fracture nowadays, iirc Fracture is actually a dps loss unless they have Berserk up.

2. <snipped: ability trim suggestions>
    1. They are 100% maintenance buffs, but they also have a larger range of output. Moving dps output from ST filler to ST DoTs increases "cleave", for one thing, and whereas most buffs are either short enough or strong enough never to forgo them, even if the fight is nearly over, a DoT will often be forgone due to an enemy dying to quickly. It's not an especially interesting mechanic by any means, but it's, sadly, one of the more interesting practical gameplay concepts we have, be that as a tank or anyone else. The longish durations also highlight windows of stance dancing (Fracture less so than Scourge or Goring Blade, as it's oddly weak).

I'd say we're better off with than without, but that's not at all to say that just about anything in that mix could be improved.

2. I have to say I'd be far more annoyed by the removal of these CDs by turning them into passives, however. I enjoy thinking about when to use a particular ability. While I'd enjoy additional interplay, opportunity cost, and so forth, I'd fine nothing entertaining about simply making tanks more passively overpowered rather than having to timely deploy our defensives.

:: Awareness is probably an ability rather than a tank-passive not because XIV is trying to be "different" but because there are so many abilities and adds/bosses that, under a given buff or phase, will auto-crit, making it a hard-counter ability. Tanks could gain an ability that makes them immune to trash mob critical hits, but then Awareness would feel a waste. I personally find the CD fine as it is, and, if anything, want there to be more crits taken. If it ends up a cross-class skill, the CD could then also be reduced to 90 seconds.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shurrikhan; 05-22-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Player
    Character
    Aleph Alpha
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by VaulRi View Post
    i can talk from DK perspective, but i think there is few skills in DK rotation what overlap functionality.[i would not remove dot ability, its make difference between good and better player, which remembers to use it]
    -[shadowskin + shadow wall] is obvious, they do same thing, make it one skill adjust cd
    Then what if you need to use both of them?
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Leon Manderville
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by VaulRi View Post
    Do you know what provoke does? It makes your enmity the same as the person who is highest on the enmity tables, then gives your enmity one more point than them. This means that no matter how far behind you are in enmity, you absolutely will gain the attention of the target. Never waste it on pulling. Just use unmend for that. Use Provoke where the healer/dps accidentally gets the attention of the boss, you need to swap tanking positions with another tank, or if you are significantly behind in enmity.
    (0)
    Last edited by xJimmehx; 05-22-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Player
    Character
    Riam Uthgendal
    World
    Coeurl
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 66
    I'm really happy with the ability cut because i play on ps4 and i'm confortable only with 24 abilities (that is what i can activate keeping l2 or r2 or both pressed).
    As of today i've already groupped a few defensive CD's on a single macro. It's not optimal from an efficiency point but i get by with no trouble in instances and normal raid (i don't do savage, too much stress for me ).
    So, basically, i have 24 buttons my fingers can manage on a pad and i'd love for that number to be the maximum number of abilities CAP
    (oh, obviously abilities like grit or cleric stance and buffs like protect doesn't count to the 24 cap for me. I have them on a different ability bar since i have to cast them only at the start of the dungeon)
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3