Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Strider View Post
    I'm worried that my favorite class is going to turn out like 3.0 PLD, MCH and AST did.
    Don't forget BRD, I once had a neverreap vote abandon soley on the basis that our party was PLD, AST, MCH, BRD
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Allyrion Windwalker
    World
    Yojimbo
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Maero View Post
    Heavansward Drg is the poster child and once it actually came out the attention was diverted to other classes, so to me no biggie?
    I wouldn't say so. DRG got the first trailer dedicated to it, and the rest of the expansion featured the DRG lore heavily. It was naturally the case since the focus of the expansion was about fighting dragons, Ishgard and the looming subplot of Estinien (someone only DRGs met before).

While I don't think it's a huge deal either, I can see how this situation turned into a bait and switch. They said we were getting a monk expansion at first, where that's a central theme. It could indeed be the case but they've now also said that half of the expansion focuses on Doma. The full trailer has the WoL switch to SAM to show that thematic divide.

If you thought Stormblood would be as focused thematically on MNK lore as Heavensward did with DRG, you would find it doubtful now after the reveals.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Your Character
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Blue Mage Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdafish View Post
    Don't forget BRD, I once had a neverreap vote abandon soley on the basis that our party was PLD, AST, MCH, BRD
    ...That's actually pretty good for dungeons, other than the PLD.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Sharl Llyntine
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Strider View Post
    This is exactly what I don't want to do. I want to be able to play my MNK at end game without instantly being asked to go SAM because of XYZ.
    I'm already stuck playing my SCH over my WHM in my raid group, I'd hate to never be able to play the jobs I love just because they're not meta.
    This.
    I'm stuck playing DRG instead of Monk, and when I was healing, I was stuck playing SCH instead of WHM.

I just hope I don't have to go SAM now...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Arc Papillon
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Tonberry View Post
    This.
    I'm stuck playing DRG instead of Monk, and when I was healing, I was stuck playing SCH instead of WHM.

I just hope I don't have to go SAM now...
    Well if slashing resistance debuffs stay, then Sam will be really powerful considering War and Nin will still have them. That's also why I imagine it can't replace Monk as far as high DPS goes. Cause it would invalidate the class entirely given slash debuff synergy.

All Monk needs is to A) Still top personal DPS, and B) have at least just 1 new class deal blunt damage FFS.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Lotharius Lionheart
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracewood View Post
    This wasn't the first time this has happened, as a long time XI player I remember the first time SAM overtook MNK as dps, overtook all DPS. All I know is, I'll probably unlock it and grind it to 60 and do MSQ with it. Not going to wait and see if MNK stays relevant anymore since I'm very cautious how the dev team will handle "balance".
    I'm interested in seeing if SAM will dethrone SMN as top DPS. Don't forget there is also Red Mage which could end up being ahead of all the DPS jobs. We won't know until people start playing the jobs in the game.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    K'nahli Yohko
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 89
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyrion View Post
    I wouldn't say so. DRG got the first trailer dedicated to it, and the rest of the expansion featured the DRG lore heavily. It was naturally the case since the focus of the expansion was about fighting dragons, Ishgard and the looming subplot of Estinien (someone only DRGs met before).

While I don't think it's a huge deal either, I can see how this situation turned into a bait and switch. They said we were getting a monk expansion at first, where that's a central theme. It could indeed be the case but they've now also said that half of the expansion focuses on Doma. The full trailer has the WoL switch to SAM to show that thematic divide.

If you thought Stormblood would be as focused thematically on MNK lore as Heavensward did with DRG, you would find it doubtful now after the reveals.
    I don't really recall anything that referenced the "dragoon" lore heavily. They exist in the story but that was just about it. Ignoring a handful of subquests which do no more than involve some dragoon NPCs, nothing comes to mind from the MSQ that had anything significant to offer about dragoon lore other than simply imply that "they are the elite dragon slayers", which everyone pretty much realised already. It wasn't until we got the lorebook that we learned something as basic as there only being about 30 of them altogether. The single utterance I can recall is Estinien mentioning that they have no love for politics and would not interfere with the Vault infiltration, other than that they were given little more significance than any knight of Ishgard that stood against dragons. Estinien himself isn't even anything significant. He's simply a character with a backstory that happens to be a dragoon. Any NPC from Stormblood could easily fill that role and not have a lot to live up to in ways of offering a comparable perspective into their lore.

(Also, the WoL wasn't a Samurai in the trailer? Unless I'm missing something).
    (0)
    Last edited by Knahli; 03-22-2017 at 01:54 AM.

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistaire View Post
    ...That's actually pretty good for dungeons, other than the PLD.
    It is now, it wasn't 2 years ago back in 3.0. This is before all four of those jobs got buffed
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Akira Shimotsuki
    World
    Ultros
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 60
    Honestly I'm fine with it. They've already stated that the expansion is 50/50 for both nations, so I'm fine. And hey, with Samurai using the same armor class as Monk, we can switch between the two super easy.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Friel Wyndor
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Can I ask an honest question: Why does anyone care what job some generic dude in a trailer is? This is an MMO with many, many jobs of different roles. No one job should be artificially made more important, relevant, or powerful than the others. Like, Dragoons served an important role in the Heavensward plot -- in that there was an important character who was one. But other than that, YOU being a Dragoon didn't mean anything.

Let's say Samurai never existed, and Monk was still the "poster boy" of all the Stormblood trailers. Just what did you expect to happen, to you, as a Monk? DF queue prioritizes you? You get a damage buff for being the "iconic" job of the expansion? You get a signed certificate from Yoshi P that says "Congratulations, you chose Monk. On behalf of everyone at Square Enix, I thank you for making the superior choice" ?
    (1)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5