Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Player

Quote Originally Posted by Myon88 View Post
    Last week's poppets only tournament is probably the most boring ruleset in my opinion. Apart from Rikku, most of the great poppet minions are expensive ones, so when theres's just 8 hildies on the field (for example) there isn't much room for the same depth of gameplay. And 'monsters only' is almost as bad as there is no monster counter to baby bat spam in my opinion - so you just see bat spam on both sides.
    Really? I loved PO! What do you think of combined forces? Like, groups of minions that raise all allies' attack paired with an action party that raises defense? Or perhaps a support wing that inflicts a weakness to monsters?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Myon Miya
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    By PO did you mean poppets only? Most people I saw in that tournament fielded the usual suspects (hildy, cid). Personally I opened with 4 Rikku's to harass the search eye and then just pumped out nothing but wind-up amal'jaas. Cheap swarms have an innate advantage over small groups of expensive minions, as you have more bodies on the field to harass multiple targets. They're countered by AoE limit breaks like the ones coeurl kittens and baby bats have - but in a poppet only tournament you don't have access to those, and there are no good poppet minions with such limit breaks.

Anyway, as for combined forces, I think the weakness of such strategies with minions that buff each other is that nothing's stopping your opponent from just running away from you. The win condition is to destroy your opponent's arcana stones and not necessarily kill their minions, so as long as they have 4-speed minions they never have to commit to fighting your minions. You could split your army up to deal with them, but you'll then lose the synergy your composition had. Also, baby bats are the bane of any strategy that relies on a big deathball of minions that buff each other - as their LB is extremely large and good for cutting down big swarms.

Which isn't to say it's a bad strategy, it just more of a bonus than something to make the primarily gameplan in my opinion. 20 coeurl kittens and 4 wolf pups to buff them, for example, are way stronger than 24 coeurl kittens.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Myon Miya
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    Notable minion alert: Wind-up Kojin

Now the only minion in the game that's strong against arcana stones and does not have 1 speed, it has 3! It does cost 15, but as arcana stone specialty attackers tend to only be produced in small amounts, it shouldn't be much of an issue. It's also good against shields which is a nice bonus - though there are better minions for that purpose and anyway, being strong against arcana stones is the main draw of this unit.

I'm quite surprised they broke this rule as I always assumed arcana stone attackers were locked to minimum speed for balance reasons. You now have units that can get to arcana stones very, very quickly which is a big buff to people that use these particular minions aggressively.
    (0)
    Last edited by Myon88; 10-27-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Player
    Character
    Momoko Tomoko
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    I tried the Kojin a few times and it is extremely good. I'm pretty surprised too by this break in the meta. Poppets were already pretty OP, maybe this should have been something like a monster type instead so it could easily get run over by hildies to counter. As of now a bunch of rikku/hildy/kojin is insanely strong even if the opponent runs critters.
    (0)
    The tiniest lala.

Player
    Character
    Myon Miya
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    Yeah the wind-up kojin has really shaken up the metagame in my datacenter too, although for different reasons. People really like baby bats here as I mentioned before, and being a poppet that's good against arcana stones, I finally have a good poppet counter to them. I used to rely on hildies, but lately I've realized that when you start facing an extreme amount of bats, they actually counter hildibrands instead because hildy's 400 hp is at the perfect range to be 2-shotted by two baby bat LBs (which can stack and tick simultaneously).

If you stick them on your opponent's stones, the bats can come in to LB them and run away as per their usual hit and run strategy, but then they'll be letting them accumulate damage on the stones. The DoT nature of the bat's LB is a disadvantage here too, and to make things better the kojin's LB is a heal which nicely counters it. So they're forced to stick around and fight to deny damage to the stones - but baby bats are terrible at actually fighting and being monsters they're at a disadvantage. All in all it forces my opponents to have a game plan beyond just spamming bats, which I'm very pleased to see.

But yeah their 3 speed is probably the biggest game changer. It used to be that you could see any arcana stone attackers coming from a mile away and prepare accordingly, because they would take ages to walk over. With 3 speed however, they can arrive extremely quickly which means even a few seconds lapse of concentration can be enough for you to miss them and start taking massive damage.
    (0)
    Last edited by Myon88; 11-22-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Player
    Character
    Myon Miya
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    Hey Momoko, I happen have an alt on aether now so hit me up if you want to play some games. Same for anyone else on aether.

I'll have to give myself a bit of a handicap though, while most of the minions I use are obtained by level 15 (strangely enough), I have no intention of leveling any further so that means no wind-up hildies and kojins for me.
    (0)
    Last edited by Myon88; 12-17-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Player
    Character
    Momoko Tomoko
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    Oh sure! Sorry about the late response, the holidays and my computer breaking halfway through kinda had me busy, but I'm back now. I'm on Sargatanas and usually on late afternoon EST time. Feel free to msg/friend me and we can set up some games c:
    (1)
    The tiniest lala.

Player
    Character
    Myon Miya
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 70
    That's good to hear. Anyway, in case we don't happen to run into each other, I'll be showing up regularly during tournament periods so you can always find me there.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Momoko Tomoko
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Miner Lv 70
    Those were some fun matches Myon! I haven't had an exciting match since like last Spring. Maybe next time I can stream some games, it might get some more people interested.
    (1)
    The tiniest lala.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4