Player
    Character
    Drae Wellenbrecher
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90

Macro call and macro parameters

I think macros could get a huge improvement if you were able to make macro call and add parameters to a macro.
    First thing would be like functions, in a macro or in the chat you could use /macroX which would call macroX and finish the current macro after completing the execution of macroX.
    2nd thing would be more of a RP thing, adding parameters to a macro. For example,
    /em greets <t> "$1"
    $1 being something that needs to be defined at the execution of the macro. Let's say my macro is n°42
    /macro42 "with a little smile." would turn into /em greets <t> with a little smile.
    /macro42 "by throwing them a snowball" would turn into /em greets <t> by throwing a snowball.
    etc
    and we could put as much parameter as we want simply by doing /em "$1" <t> "$2" "$3" ... "$n"
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Caitlin Seraphim
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 90
    Are you a rl programmer by any chance? what you suggest sounds like very complicated to type with all the parameters. So much so that i would think its easier to just type what you want directly
    (4)

Player
    Character
    Drae Wellenbrecher
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    I have trouble seeing how it is complicated
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Caitlin Seraphim
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 90
    well one issue that i see and that would keep me from using it is having to memorise what macro number does what, it also prevents you from putting the macro on a hotbar. I agree it may be usefull but in the end i'd just predefine the random text you would put as a parameter and just have it as a hotbar macro, one click no typing or memorising
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Myra Gradon
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 70
    first they have to make macros work 100% of the time my macros for different skills work about 50% of the time.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Lynne Asteria
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrkana View Post
    first they have to make macros work 100% of the time my macros for different skills work about 50% of the time.
    Thats because they don't queue like skills do. its intended, not broken :P
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Xoria Tepes
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlinzulu View Post
    Are you a rl programmer by any chance? what you suggest sounds like very complicated to type with all the parameters. So much so that i would think its easier to just type what you want directly
    I'm... kind of with the same mentality. Since it's something that is completely foreign to me, it looks more complicated than just /em greets <t> with a smile. Expressions was it? That would mean memorizing a list of available expressions?
    (2)
    9.23.2019 [11:15 p.m.]Total Play Time: 1552 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes - You'll be hard-pressed to find a more cynical person than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odstarva View Post
    You people are never happy.
    [...] You complain and complain and complain.

Player
    Character
    Soki Yagami
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    I'm neutral on the idea but I seem to recall SE didn't want chained-macro to be a thing to avoid players cheesing rotation and stuff? Personally I just wish that the system can do a simple check on the macro executed such that if the entire macro only have one action they will let us queue it like normal actions. Something like:

/ac {Hallowed Ground} <me> <wait.1>
    /p {Hallowed Ground}, {Just used it.}
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Drae Wellenbrecher
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by SokiYagami View Post
    /ac {Hallowed Ground} <me> <wait.1>
    Does that work? Last time I put a wait at the end of line like that it didn't work at all. Also the <me> is pretty much optionnal for that kind of cast
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Soki Yagami
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    What that macro does is basically when you spam it, it doesn't flood your party chat. The problem of macro not executing because it missed the queue is still around. Which bring me to my complaint, it's either:

A. You don't use the macro, sometimes your healer wouldn't noticed that you popped your super cd and waste their gcd which could be better spent elsewhere, like dpsing or raising the dps that EB'ed to the floor
    B. You use the macro with text notification, you risk dying because your super cd didn't make it through the queue
    C. Have a separated "text notification"-only macro, but then you will need an additional hotbar/xbar slot for each action + text notification pair

Granted the text notification is mostly optional so the developer/system resource(s) required might not outweigh the benefits, but it's still a nice QoL to have imo.

As for the <me> tag, I just kept it there for neat syntax. XD
    (0)
    Last edited by SokiYagami; 09-24-2017 at 10:09 PM.