Sephrick Markarius
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 70
    I support this thread!
    (39)

Player
    I get this strange feeling that you have rigged these cards in your favour....and why are you only weak from below?

But to be blunt this game needs some sort of collectathon aspect like Tripple Triad or a beastiary...or a codex...or something.
    (22)

Player
    Character
    Titan Arum
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    only part of a game/mini game/card game that probably would be entertaining to me is the gathering of them in the world. if you can't lose your cards and be forced to get more i doubt i can enjoy it for long. it will be like any other mini game in ffxi where getting the actual passes, transportation passes and the quests prior to the mini game being the fun part and the second everyone has theirs and are in say like the Colosseum ...it dies out. but i do like the idea of a card game, it sounds way better then any side game they have had in ffxi. and also don't put it outside the game or no thanks, even if you charge monthly for it(even though then i wouldn't play it) i would suggest keep it inside the game or it becomes pointless.
    (4)

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    That was the thing about Triple Triad. You could lose your cards. Especially with different rules. You'd be forced to earn powerful cards once again if you lost them.

Also, let's push this a step further like FFVIII did and give crafters the ability to Refine cards into materials. Say you have a Bomb Card, a crafter could Refine it into a stack of bomb ash.
    (52)

Player
    Character
    Enyae Demetra
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Alerith View Post
    That was the thing about Triple Triad. You could lose your cards. Especially with different rules. You'd be forced to earn powerful cards once again if you lost them.

Also, let's push this a step further like FFVIII did and give crafters the ability to Refine cards into materials. Say you have a Bomb Card, a crafter could Refine it into a stack of bomb ash.
    Or after using a card in so many Triple Triad matches, you spiritbond with it and convert it into materia. \(^_^)/

I do see a certain appeal in refining a card into down into materials.
    (24)

Player
    Character
    Airget Lamh
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    I get this strange feeling that you have rigged these cards in your favour....and why are you only weak from below?

But to be blunt this game needs some sort of collectathon aspect like Tripple Triad or a beastiary...or a codex...or something.
    I honestly think they might have plans for that with all the journal stuff they have been talking about. At least they have plans to create a journal for Gathers to make notes of their findings so I don't think it would be to farfetched to say they may come up witha beastiary which would be pretty cool lol.

There has to be a decent balance in it, if one is to be able to refine materials out of it. The question becomes how do you obtain these cards in the first place. If the cards are easy enough to obtain then to refine them into materials would destroy the concept of gathering since people would just play cards to obtain their materials rather then gather them.

I guess one concept could be you buy a set of cards for x gil, and you pretty much choose from a set of packs each with their own rarity and cards. Perhaps a method to limit the amount of materials could be this.

When you recieve a card in a pack you can't refine it right away, you have to play games with the card and "spiritbond" it in a sense lol. Of course the amount of times you have to use it will be based on whether you win/lose/draw and such. So if you keep winning with said cards your bond will grow quicker but if you lose you won't gain as much as a bond.

Also the rarity would determine how long it might take to be able to refine it

Common=1-20 mobs
    Uncommon=21-40 mobs
    Rare=41-50 mob
    Secret Rare=50+ *all include NMs in those level range
    Primal=include NPCs and Primal cards

So with the above in mind it could be something like

C=3 wins/7 lost
    U=5 wins/12 lost
    R=10 wins/25 lost
    S=20 wins/50 lost
    P=40 wins/100 lost

Basically if you win with the same card 3 times and it's common you'll be given the opportunity to refine it. When it comes down to the Primal cards, their refines would be unique. In terms of the Primals themselves they would novelty gear like perhaps a head piece like Ifrit's horns. In the same sense NPCs will also offer the same sense of unique gear like say you have Kan-E-Senna card, you would have a chance to obtain a piece of her gear set.

At least I think this would be the best way to deal with it, make it where the rarer cards can give out neat looking gear while the other sets woud offer a decent amount of materials though you'd have to use said cards first in order to obtain them. With that in mind you would also have a limit as to how many cards you would be able to hold at once so while it's normally a 5-5 card game at the start you would only have a case that can hold 25 cards. The as your rank increases you would be given the option to pay gil to increase the amount of cards you can hold as well as access to new booster packs. But ya, as long as they make the cards a decent price I can see it working as long as they don't make it the best method to obtain materials but another access point to obtain materials I can see it working.

If you consider crafters like leatherworker and Clothcraft, I can see them enjoying this game to obtain the leather/cloth materials they need since they do lack a gatherer to get it for them at a decent rate atm lol. But ya, this is just off the top of my head, it sounds fun enough in my head brings along some friendly competition but ya, if anything like a card game was implemented into the game we prolly wouldn't even see it til 2.0 lol.
    (5)

Character
    Alerith Rayneheart
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Well, there was a Card ability in FFVIII to convert weakened monsters into cards. While I'm not sure if I'd like something like that in this game, you could have a stack of blank cards, and you can use the Card ability on a monsters corpse to try and imprint it onto the card.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Kris Slater
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 20
    I could see people playing cards with their mules so they dont lose the cards to be able to refine them
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rau View Post
    Rau Lecreuset: There are reports of a multitude of people in town who have a found a magical tool that lets them forfeit their conciousness, and in doing so, allows them to craft for inordinate amounts of time.

Player
    Character
    Renta Hamster
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50

PLEEEEEEEEEEASE?
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. It's the most popular mini game in all of Final Fantasy. They already have the rules and everything set. They even have the source code from FF8 to take inspiration from. All they gotta do is tweak it to fit the FF14 world. Set up the initial game. Then iterate and improve based on player feedback.

A non-combat PVP system is just what this game needs to alleviate boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rentahamster View Post
    TRIPLE TRIAD YES PLEASE.

Just like in FF8 where you can run around and challenge NPCs. Also let me learn "Monster Card" so I can farm cards.

Let me put an icon above my head that says I want to take on all challengers.

Let anyone who wants to observe a match in progress.

Let there be two types of PvP matches just like in online mode in Street Fighter 4: Normal Match: which is like a friendly game, and Ranked Match, which lets people battle for rank points.

Create a server wide leaderboard to see who is the best card master

Hold tournaments for cool prizes.

Let participants of matches bet (items, gil, cards, etc) over the outcome of the match.

Put in a whole crapload of cards, and watch the OCD playerbase swarm in.

Keep the rules SIMPLE yet allow for high level play. Triple Triad was good at this. Tetra Master was a clusterfark of confusing hexadecimel letters and numbers.

This would add in solo content, as well as PvP content at the same time, give people more things to do, and add loads of entertainment value to this game.

Part of the excitement would be to venture out to the boonies and find NPC who have rare cards and try to beat them.

100k new subscriptions guaranteed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rentahamster View Post
    Triple Triad could also be a decent gil sink.

Have card shops in all 3 cities. Each shop sells starter packs and booster packs that feature NPCs and monsters from that region.

Starter Pack 1: 5,000 gil - Contains 10 random low level cards, and one random medium level card.

Booster Pack 1: 50,000 gil - Contains 5 random low to medium-high level cards.

Booster Pack 2: 150,000 gil - Contains 5 random medium to medium-high level cards, with a chance for 1-2 of them being high level cards.

The best cards have to be "Monster Carded" from high rank mobs, or won from a high rank NPC, or as tournament prizes.
    (16)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Threads: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/s...vBForum_Thread

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast