Player
    Character
    Wynne Yilmaz
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by XiXiQ View Post
    I'd be glad to see the end of them, they are usually clunky, overly convaluted button-bloat - (along with any skills that clash with other classes, there are too many of those as well). The toggle idea is the next best thing I suppose.
    Half of the stances (Diurnal/Nocturnal + Fists of Earth/Wind/Fire + Kiss of the Wasp/Viper) are ones you click once and never touch again, meaning you could just move these to a hotbar/crossbar that's by itself. They're barely a button bloat problem. The only ones that actually need some thought are the MT/OT stances and Cleric Stance.

Also how is it convoluted? Convoluted means extremely complex and difficult to follow. These simple buttons are anything but complicated...
    (2)
    Last edited by magnanimousCynic; 12-21-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Player
    Character
    Xixi Eclipse
    World
    Ravana
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by magnanimousCynic View Post
    Also how is it convoluted? Convoluted means extremely complex and difficult to follow. These simple buttons are anything but complicated...
    every pointless button makes things more convaluted, and adds to button bloat. Its not JUST these that are the issue, but they are adding to the problem.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Duelle Urelle
    World
    Diabolos
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 80
    Half of the stances (Diurnal/Nocturnal + Fists of Earth/Wind/Fire + Kiss of the Wasp/Viper) are ones you click once and never touch again, meaning you could just move these to a hotbar/crossbar that's by itself. They're barely a button bloat problem.
    Nocturnal/Diurnal were designed around the idea of AST mimicking a WHM or SCH depending on what was needed (a result of the devs designing a two-healer metagame). Those are less stances and more like modes simply because you can't change them in combat. Sort of like choosing who your striker would be in the older King of Fighters games.

Adamantoise Stance, Gale Stance and Vajra Stance (AKA Fists of Earth/Wind/Fire) are button bloat, just not the type that notably hinders gameplay. Instead, it's button bloat that hinders and somewhat limits design, since Fists of Fire is pretty much the go-to stance while the other two have tiny niches that don't really provide a notable benefit (unlike something like Tempered Will that allows me to cheese knockback effects). Simply put, it's 3 wasted skill slots that could have been used for something that added to PGL/MNK's gameplay. I still don't know why they kept those from 1.0.

Wasp and Viper are more examples of wasted slots, since the idea was that Jugulate would have different uses depending on which stance you're in. Which is sort of silly seeing that ROG/NIN would have been fine with one skill that stuns and one skill that's a silence and have both share a cooldown.
    The only ones that actually need some thought are the MT/OT stances and Cleric Stance.
    Getting into tank stances, the problem is that tanks are not using stances as per design, mostly because of other factors in the battle system. So instead of being a straightforward "if you want to live/hold aggro, hit your tank stance and stay in it" situation, you have people encouraging others to constantly swap despite that going against how stances are supposed to work. As mentioned by another poster, that makes gameplay needlessly convoluted and adds one extra button that's not really necessary.

Cleric Stance falls into that category as well, since that was designed as a way to get around letting spells like Stone and Aero scale with MND (in part because a healer doing full damage while also healing at full potential is overpowered). Between that, the fact its cooldown is long enough for things to go south if badly timed, plus the devs not taking healer damage into account during ARR's first tier tells me Cleric Stance was meant to be used for soloing, FATEs and leves. Sure, Hall of the Novice is telling people otherwise, but that came more than a year after ARR's launch, way after the chips had already fallen and the devs shrugged their shoulders on the matter.
    (5)
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line like good little casters.
    * Design ideas:
    Red Mage - COMPLETE (https://tinyurl.com/y6tsbnjh), Chemist - Second Pass (https://tinyurl.com/ssuog88), Thief - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/vdjpkoa), Rune Fencer - First Pass (https://tinyurl.com/y3fomdp2)

Character
    Clefto Bismal
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 80
    The stances are strong as they are for any class because of the fact they can't be used with any other one's. If there was such a merge, expect nerfs to balance things out.

(Otherwise the tank stance damage penalty would ruin sword oath and same story for cleric stance ruining heals in general)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Pros: <Only if replaced with something that creates more a higher skill-cap based on more active capitalization of one's offenses and defenses.>

Cons: Loss of much of the flexibility and enjoyment of tanking as we know it.

EDIT: If we're just talking button-bloat, the obvious path is simply to allow stacked mutually exclusive skills within a single hotbar slot (e.g. Defiance/Deliverance, Shield Oath/Sword Oath, Inner Beast / Fell Cleave, Whirling Thrust / Fang & Claw). That won't remove the fact that a Paladin or Warrior, for instance, are each wasting an entire ability (Sword Oath / Deliverance) on what a Dark Knight accomplishes by simply turning Grit off, or that the Paladin spends more mana in total and twice the GCDs in order to do so, but it will at least reduce their button-bloat to that of a Dark Knight. Additionally, the Paladin can still separate the two binds if he wants to drop Shield Oath just before a Goring Blade, and only then activate Sword Oath (rushing the DoT at cost of 1 embonused auto-attack... not usually worthwhile).
    (1)
    Last edited by Shurrikhan; 01-29-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Player
    Character
    Scarlett Dzian
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 76
    Ignoring the fact that this is incredibly overpowered and makes certain classes downright broken, this just screams laziness. Half of these stances are set and forget.
    The Set and forget ones could easily be scrapped. they don't really add anything to the gameplay of a job.

monk for example turn on fists of fire and forget about it entirely. there's never a need to switch to wind or earth so they could easily remove all of the fists stances and just give monk a flat damage increase and it wouldn't change the job at all.

ninja would be much the same put on a kiss and forget about it for the rest of the day. only time you ever need to swap is you actually need to stun or silence something which hasn't really happened ever since like t1 t2 and maybe requelling mist in weeping city..... so losing those stances wouldn't really break ninjas at all either. all it'd do is lose access to either a stun or a silence but as none of them are ever actually needed cos content is lol easy. its no big loss.

other stances though like ast sects and defiance deliverance change how jobs work and play a much bigger part in that job removing them would break joibs... paladins oaths also but to a lesser degree. the oath you're in doesn't really change the way you play your job you're basically just swapping damage reduction for more auto attack. nothing you do really changes from one stance to the other,

if you're going to keep the stances though they need to be a lot more involved than just set and forget. cos that really adds nothing to the jobs.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Khalith Mateo
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    I post s my thoughts on this in the tank thread and I'll post it here to. Short version, I agree with getting rid of tank stances for pld and drk, make stance dancing the warrior thing and give the other two tanks something different to focus on.

Without grit drk would have access to blood weapon at all times and from there make it about maximizing dark arts use for optimal offensive and defensive power.

I don't know what the new mechanic could be for pld but what it has now isn't working.

Also that comment that it would make the tanks lose identity is absurd. Getting rid of oaths wouldn't do anything to pld's playstyle at all, the class would play exactly the same. If you got rid of grit and thereby freed up drk access to blood weapon it would be a quality of life increase.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Tani Shirai
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalithar View Post
    Also that comment that it would make the tanks lose identity is absurd. Getting rid of oaths wouldn't do anything to pld's playstyle at all, the class would play exactly the same. If you got rid of grit and thereby freed up drk access to blood weapon it would be a quality of life increase.
    It wouldn't get rid of any one tank's identity, but it would almost certainly change what it means to be "a" (i.e. "any") tank, which is itself a form of identity. That's probably what they're referring to.

I'm also against the idea that only Warrior should uniquely have a way of thus varying its strengths, while Paladin and Dark Knight are then forced into an uncomfortable medium that will only further niche MT and OT positions. Now, there could be other ways to give almost all that stances do, but I see it as essential that each tank should have nearly the same range of potential and simultaneous capabilities, even if in drastically different ways.

I'm personally saddened that Shield and Sword Oath gameplay aren't more differentiated, but alternatively, I kind of feel -- and this is quite a turn-around from my original thoughts -- like Dark Knight not always having access to Blood Weapon actually gives it more of a sense of being a Dark Knight, maybe not in terms of thematic arsenal, exactly, but in the mindset. Blood Weapon being inaccessible in Grit just gives that dire wish to escape protective play and blow your stuff all over that boss as quickly as possible. Now, you could say that concept, that mindset, that direction of gameplay, is better suited to a Warrior (and their respective Fell Cleave, which does a similar job), but it's something many a Dark Knight may well miss. It more or less epitomizes the best parts of risk-reward optimization of stance-dancing as it is right now. Having to blow one more cooldown pre-pull, and likely having your arsenal tuned back a bit to match, is not a quality of life change. It's a further obligatory action, rather than something to look forward to or pace oneself around. It's, essentially, bloating.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Shirayuki Kova
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 66
    Half of the stances (Diurnal/Nocturnal + Fists of

Stances are not the issue, its the implementation. As you mentioned, Cleric Stance, most tank stances and AST ones are necessary and well done because they add depth and a skill ceiling to the class. Removal of those would only cheapen the experience.
    The main issues are stances which have no alternative (i.e. there is extremely situational or zero reason for keeping on/off), the Kisses could easily be removed and merged in to a trait with the utility merged in to Jugulate, the MNK stances are also redundant complexity as their impact is too low to warrant dancing.
    (0)

Character
    Tifa's Soulstone
    World
    Zodiark
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufalus View Post
    Healers would be less annoying to play if their damage-dealing spells scaled off the Mind stat instead of Intelligence, allowing Cleric Stance to be removed with no dps loss.
    and that is what SE just don't want xD

havent Yoshi just said a while ago that healer and tanks should be more focused to their base task? why should i play smn/blm if Ast/Whm would out damage me easily with holy and gravity by throwing aoe heals and hots at the same time? for me personally SE should remove cleric at all... but thats just me ^^
    (0)

11. 02-01-2017 03:26 AM
    Reason
    Misunderstanding

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast