Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Character
    Haruna Astir
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    I think it's a slightly weird joke, but it is a little funny, and a joke's a joke, so it's fine. What I don't understand here is what makes it demeaning to Moenbryda. No matter which way you're thinking about it, doesn't this joke demean Urianger?
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Krie Arda
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Machinist Lv 90
    I'm going to agree that most of what you think that line 'implies' is of your own imagining. It may have been a deliberate double-entente joke, it may not, and even if it were, I fail to see how that would be "sexist".

You also seem to assert that this was a liberty made in localization. Do you have any proof of that? For all we know such a line could be a direct or mostly direct translation.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Ramza Wyvernjack
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 64
    What is this even...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Graestrom Arliz
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 60
    I'm agreeing with the OP. There is quite a difference here between the original Japanese text and the liberties taken with the localization.

The localization makes it seem like Urianger, in his grief, made a sex doll 1/8th Moenbryda's size, let the screen go dark for some amount of time, then realized how creepy it was and pawned the thing off in an attempt to deal with reality.

As opposed to the original text in which he created a lifelike representation that he could hug and cry with to help him cope with losing someone he loved.

The closest similarity is Cyan in FF6, but even then it doesn't compare. Cyan lost his wife, his kid, his entire kingdom and then still wound up thinking all of his friends died and the worse that he did was have a couple naughty magazines.

So yeah, count me in with changing the text. The difference really changes the context of Urianger's character.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Sera Malqir
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    I found it SEVERELY demeaning for Moen [...] this is borderline sexist. [...] So would the devs consider changing it to something more respectful to Moenbryda's character?
    HOW is this demeaning towards Moenbryda?
    I don't get your reasoning at all. It's "moenbryda this, moenbryda that" but the only one actually affected by this text is your perception of Urianger's character.
    Even if Urianger had or hadn't an unhealthy obsession with his companion beyond her death, it has absolutely no influence on Moen's awesome sacrifice for us, the fun conversations the player had with her, her ability to defeat even Thancred in drinking, and so on.
    If anything is sexist, it's how somehow Moenbryda became the victim when really, the one affected by this translation change is Urianger.
    Sorry, but that seriously bothered me in your reasoning.

As for the actual request:
    I agree that the text is absolutely meant to be disturbing and not a "aw, he cuddled and cried with the puppet" kind of scenario.
    I find the liberty taken in this translation to actually be fairly fitting to my perception of Urianger though, so I don't mind.
    (1)
    Last edited by Atoli; 10-19-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Player
    Character
    Ramza Wyvernjack
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 64
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekswordsman View Post
    I'm agreeing with the OP. There is quite a difference here between the original Japanese text and the liberties taken with the localization.

The localization makes it seem like Urianger, in his grief, made a sex doll 1/8th Moenbryda's size, let the screen go dark for some amount of time, then realized how creepy it was and pawned the thing off in an attempt to deal with reality.

So yeah, count me in with changing the text. The difference really changes the context of Urianger's character.
    Actually, it seems like a few people have a gutter mind that thinks worst, gets triggered, and then preaches social justice for fluff they took wrong.
    Not one of my friends will assume "he lewds the doll" before "he probably cried or talked with it.", going that twisted place is on you.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Katarh Mest
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Archer Lv 90
    Well, Urianger even said after her death that he wasn't going to go to the memorial ceremony because he wanted to "grieve in his own way." (Go back and watch the cutscene. Those are his words.)

I personally thought he might have been making a deal with Ascians to try to bring her back from the dead as a succubus. So, a wind up doll is kind of tame compared to that.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Zana Amariyo
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Catwho View Post
    Well, Urianger even said after her death that he wasn't going to go to the memorial ceremony because he wanted to "grieve in his own way." (Go back and watch the cutscene. Those are his words.)

I personally thought he might have been making a deal with Ascians to try to bring her back from the dead as a succubus. So, a wind up doll is kind of tame compared to that.
    And then you remember the Gridanian Goldsmith who tried to summon a Succubus, and in the end wound up making a bunch of Voidal Minions...
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2