Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90

Encyclopædia Eorzea ("Lore Book") Bug Report Thread

As was said on the stream, despite some hefty QA that squashed most of the bugs, the Encyclopædia Eorzea still has a few typos and errors.
    Hey, it strives to mimic an ancient tome; you ever seen the typos that crept into ancient tomes? I can barely find a clean trade paperback.

This thread is explicitly for reporting and discussing potential errata.

Keep it as neat, organized, and polite as you can; let's try to help them squash the rest of these bugs.
    (19)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 10-19-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    PAGE: 089
    HEADING: Sea Wolves
    SUBHEADING: Nomenclature

Says the suffix -wyn means "aughter". Should probably be "daughter".

Going by the naming conventions thread, I'm assuming there's no ancient grammar sorcery going on here, lol.
    (10)
    "I shall refrain from making any further wild claims until such time as I have evidence."
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    PAGE: 053
    HEADING: Timeline
    YEAR: 1561

Refers to the former sultan of Ul'dah (father of Nanamo) as Sasabaru. In Version 1.0, this name was Sasabal Ul Sisibal. This potential error is complex, however. The name Sasabaru is also used in A Realm Reborn within the fishing log entry for Loyal Pleco (which ironically seems to contain a joke about swapping L for R).

The German variant of the same entry, likewise, says Sasabaru now whereas the name was Sasabal Ul Sisibal in 1.0.

The French version of the same entry, however, retains the 1.0 name: Sasabal Ul Sisibal.
    (9)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 10-17-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    PAGE: 193
    HEADING: Biographies
    NPC: Una Tayuun

Refers to her as once having been part of the Circle of Knowing. She was never seen with Louisoix, never mentioned such, and has no Sharlayan sage tattoo. I believe this was meant to say she was part of the Path of the Twelve, which is what she implies when she arrives at the Waking Sands for a little while in A Realm Reborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Una Tayuun
    Why don't any o' these blokes know who I am!? I swear I was one o' 'em Scions o' the Seventh Dawn! Only we didn't have such a fancy name back then, an' the headquarters was in a far more convenient location. At least, I think it was... Or is me mind playin' tricks on me? Gods, what's wrong with me? Why can't I remember it more clearly?
    (8)
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    PAGE: 211
    HEADING: Biographies
    NPC: Ysayle Dangoulain

Second column uses what looks like an open-quotation rather than an apostrophe.

Iceheart
    s

Iceheart’s
    (9)
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 10-17-2016 at 05:30 PM.
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Anony Moose
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    PAGE: 214
    HEADING: The Warriors of Darkness
    NPC: Naillebert

Uses the word eachother's. This be two words, I believe: each other's.
    (8)
    – Y'shtola

Player
    Character
    Heixin Xiaoshuita
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 90
    PAGE: 087
    HEADING: Seekers of the Sun
    Section: Culture

Is this a possible error? In the Miqo'te Naming conventions post, Nunh status does not equate leadership in a tribe and it is a rare occurrence. The culture section states "with each tribe centered around a strong breeding male (nunh) whose duty it is to form a harem and lead his people to glory and prosperity."

Is this perhaps erroneous a statement?
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Aurora Aura
    World
    Exodus
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    (Disclaimer: don't have the book yet)

PAGE 85
    HEADING: Dunesfolk
    Section: Nomenclature

Not sure if this is a bug or just some really ambiguous phrasing, but it says that the spelling and pronunciation of Lalafellin names is due to them only have 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u.) Except I'm pretty sure that the other races have the same amount of vowels as well, it wouldn't make sense unless their old language had no consonants.

Is this a bug? does the old Lalafell tongue have only 5 letters?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Franz Renatus
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar1337 View Post
    (Disclaimer: don't have the book yet)

PAGE 85
    HEADING: Dunesfolk
    Section: Nomenclature

Not sure if this is a bug or just some really ambiguous phrasing, but it says that the spelling and pronunciation of Lalafellin names is due to them only have 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u.) Except I'm pretty sure that the other races have the same amount of vowels as well, it wouldn't make sense unless their old language had no consonants.

Is this a bug? does the old Lalafell tongue have only 5 letters?
    In this particular context, they could be speaking about linguistic vowels, diphthongs, etc. So something like that standard Latin pronunciation of just those letters. (Or Japanese). In that sense, there wouldn't be a linguistic vowel for the diphthong [äɪ̯] for "eye" or "light" anywhere. Or the "a" sound in something like "apple" as well, since that vowel sound isn't technically contained in a strict pronunciation of the vowels.

A vowel chart with audio examples can be found here for all the IPA sounds. It doesn't include diphthongs because those are technically combo sounds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_vo...art_with_audio
    (6)
    Last edited by reiichi; 10-18-2016 at 01:03 AM. Reason: 1k char bypass

Player
    Character
    Yololo Yolo
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Dancer Lv 83
    It's a little something that's getting lost in translation, and reiichi is mostly right - the real-world in-joke of Lalafell names is that they're all created using exclusively Japanese gojūon and yōon phonetics. タタル・タル (Tataru Taru), テレヂ・アデレヂ (Teledji Adeledji/"Tereji Adereji"), ロロリト・ナナリト (Lolorito Nanarito), パパシャン・ノノシャン (Papashan Nonoshan), ヂュララ・ヂュラ (Dewlala Dewla/"Jurara Jura")... you get the idea. While other names might be transcribed into katakana for Japanese pronunciation, the Lalafell names are built within Japanese phonetics. Japanese has only five normal vowel sounds yes, we can split hairs about how many yōon sounds work and are romanized, but with no real equivalent of things like "hard A vs. soft A", so Lalafell names also possess only the five vowels of Japanese - soft a ("ah"), soft i ("ee"), high u ("ooh"), soft e ("eh"), and low o ("ohh").

This is the point the book was trying to convey, but without referencing the real-world conceit of Lalafellin names.
    (14)
    Last edited by StarDrake; 10-18-2016 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Wait, Dewlala's name is ヂュララ... I think. Damn my not being able to check at the moment.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast