Player
    Character
    Blazing Sunrise
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80

Free Company Idea

Affront the PC screen, I began thinking of names for a Free Company on this server. An LGBTQ predominant and friendly FC for "anyone". I thought of the negative connotation of the server name. I was thinking of ways to counteract a negative image for the "hate" associated with this server name. A reason many LGBTQ do not create characters with this server as the world to enter. I searched definitions for the server and group. I found:

(Server) Faerie: imaginary; mythical.
    Adaptation from Faerie as Mythical.
    Mythical: fictitious.
    Society: a number of people who work together or share certain beliefs.

I began trying to form a logic with these basic meanings.
    (0)
    Last edited by AlexysKitty; 10-15-2016 at 01:12 PM.
    "When the wind creates a gentle breeze near the Conjurer's Guild in Old Gridania, I can almost hear the whisper of A-Towa-Cant." - Alexys Kitty

2. 10-15-2016 12:43 PM

Player
    Character
    Rena Kisaragi
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Faerie has one of the largest LGBT communities on XIV. I feel LGBT community is "attracted" to our server name, not repulsed by it.

Of course it varies person to person and is subjective. Personally I really love Faerie and I love our server name. I hold no shame and feel it has zero negative connotation. I welcome other people to leave opinion on if they feel our server name is positive or negative.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Blazing Sunrise
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    LGBTQ population is a reason I've transferred a few times. Finding an all LGBTQ Alexander Progression group is not the most simple task. I have an attitude, or don't say anything at all. When I'm told what to do as opposed to what will work best for the group, that attitude peaks. Instead of breaching the "code of conduct" often, I leave. If the world was a zero negative connotation place, the LGBTQ would not have had any harassment. Gay men, and Trans women have had the worst of it. I considered that too. The word "Faerie" has a historical negative connotation for gay men until the word was/is adopted, out of harms way, and the meaning is restored. I am not disgusted by the server name, Faerie. I like the word Faerie, and its meaning...the FC name idea.

When I find a group just as "respectful", I'll be in the right place.
    (0)
    "When the wind creates a gentle breeze near the Conjurer's Guild in Old Gridania, I can almost hear the whisper of A-Towa-Cant." - Alexys Kitty

Player
    Character
    Raina Kil'drassa
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 70
    Hi Alexys, maybe I can shed a little bit of light on this. Like Rena said, maybe LGBTQ people are attracted to Faerie because of the name, or because Googling it might lead them to results such as "FFXIV's LGBTQ server" ect. Because of this, I feel that the strong majority of FCs on Faerie, while not LGBTQ-only, are accepting to all members regardless of their lives outside of Final Fantasy. For example, there are FCs who pester people about their backgrounds and ridicule them when something doesn't line up or someone doesn't meet the expectations they're looking for. However, there are many FCs who have a strict "we won't ask if you don't want to tell" policy because when you're on FFXIV, you're whoever you want to be. Noble Riff Raff is one that follows such a policy. If you would like to share your background or past with us, that's perfectly okay. If you'd like to remain a mystery, people will only see you as Alexys Kitty and that is who you are to us.

Personally, it sounds to me like you've dealt with a lot of harassment in the past and are sick of it. If you would like an environment where people are completely accepting of who you are and are not concerned by your life outside of the game, please check around on Faerie, hit me up if you'd like to chat, or look some more on this forum. There are lots of accepting people out there! While I won't pretend that every single person on Faerie has this same attitude, I can promise you that the name Faerie rings bells throughout the game as being the "nice server."
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rena Kisaragi
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    I feel your asking opposite things. Progression and Accepting are essentially oxymorons of one another.

To be a top raiding guild, being one of the firsts to push new content you must make exceptions. Have a awesome dps that is a bit of a racist ? You got to deal with it. Got the most amazing person in the world that sucks at the game and cant improve ? No choice but to kick them. Sure you can easily find a raiding group that is pleasant, but it certainly will not be progression.

As for our server name. I run a FC with large LGBT population and they unanimously told me that they really like the name Faerie and they feel that many LGBT community members are attracted to the name. I played on Faerie for 3 years now and your actually first person I heard express disapproval to the name. I am not saying your wrong, but I do feel you may be in the minority of that sentiment among the LGBT community.

Either way be you make your own FC or join one, I hope you find acceptance in whatever you do. Faerie is a incredibly friendly and welcoming place and I hope you can call it home.
    (0)
    Last edited by Liselsia; 10-18-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Player
    Character
    Yagi Kataiser
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Liselsia View Post
    [...] To be a top raiding guild, being one of the firsts to push new content you must make exceptions. Have a awesome dps that is a bit of a racist ? You got to deal with it. Got the most amazing person in the world that sucks at the game and cant improve ? No choice but to kick them. Sure you cant easily find a raiding group that is pleasant, but it certainly will not be progression.
    Mostly accurate, and nice to see someone else recognize this - though it partly depends on what you mean by "progression". If you want to be among The Best at raiding and get stuff done early on, you'll inevitably have to prioritize gamin' skillz over basic decency. 'Course, that doesn't mean you can't progress at all without that approach; it's plenty possible to get content down before it gets trivialized and keep your [expletive] count low. It's just a hell of an uphill battle, and it will of course slow you down significantly.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kataiser; 10-18-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Player
    Character
    Raina Kil'drassa
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 70
    True Yagi, though I can say from personal experience that I agree with your "uphill battle" metaphor. A little while ago it became more and more apparent that my raid group, made up of close friends both IRL and ingame, had many different skill levels. It was to the point where a couple people just couldn't cut it and were holding us back. Rather than kick those people, I couldn't take the stress of breaking a group of friends apart and threw in the towel. I think in every raid leader's life there comes a point when you have to choose between progression and friends because even if most your friends have a high amount of skills, not all of them will. But hey, Faerie is a diverse place that has both the raid environment AND the friend one, it's just that the two are normally exclusive of one another.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rena Kisaragi
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Which is great that we have both Free Companies and Linkshells You can have all your friends in one, and your static in another.
    (0)

10. 10-25-2016 02:21 PM

Player
    Character
    Blazing Sunrise
    World
    Brynhildr
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Liselsia View Post
    I feel your asking opposite things. Progression and Accepting are essentially oxymorons of one another.

To be a top raiding guild, being one of the firsts to push new content you must make exceptions. Have a awesome dps that is a bit of a racist ? You got to deal with it. Got the most amazing person in the world that sucks at the game and cant improve ? No choice but to kick them. Sure you can easily find a raiding group that is pleasant, but it certainly will not be progression.
    Enjoy the game? Progression without enjoyment...no pleasantness in that? I don't really want to experience new content with a group like you're describing. Simple really.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Rena Kisaragi
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexysKitty View Post
    Enjoy the game? Progression without enjoyment...no pleasantness in that? I don't really want to experience new content with a group like you're describing. Simple really.
    As Raina suggested, it simply sounds like a different in definition of Progression. My personal view on progression is a static group clears content with regularity in the same patch cycle content was released in. So most Progression group who are doing Creator Savage should clear all the content before 2.5 hits. If not thats perfectly fine, there plenty of casual raiding group that take their time and prioritize fun and group stability over clears. But personally I would never consider them Progression groups.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast