Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFatHousecat View Post
    In the basement, no less. I think Yoshi is making this game a little too realistic xD
    I think Yoshi-P has a bit of a steam punk fetish perhaps :3
    (3)

Player

Yeah yeah yeah disciples of blah blah blah...

MAKE OUR OWN BOATS AND AIRSHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Maelina Sylfei
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 64
    "While in the dungeon, if you do not have a Disciple of Land in your party, certain items will not drop. Inside the dungeon there will be doors that can only be opened by keys that can only be made by Disciples of the Hand."
    This is the sort of things I would really enjoy to experience, but I understand the difficulty to properly implement that kind of dungeon.

Battle classes would need to save a spot for a class with no battle proficiency (Stressful)
    That's not entirely true considering we can switch class any time by switching weapon/tool. It would simply favour people who have both type of class (which is like promoting the armoury system and most people DO level more than a single class).

Disciples of the Land and Hand will be bored during battles (Stressful)
    Again, it's not entirely true. I saw to solutions for this just during my reading:
    1) The Land or Hand class adventurer can just switch to his battle class;
    2) The Land or Hand class adventurer must perform his activity while other players fend off waves of enemies until he has performed the designed task;

Also, alternatively, Disciplines of War and Magic would be bored while the Discipline of Land or Hand perform the designed activity. Just like Yoshi-P said in own post, we have to see it from the adventurer's point of view, not the class's. Considering this, we can assume those dungeons would require adventurers to have both a battle class and a crafter/gatherer class. During the dungeon, the adventurers would be required to switch class to perform specific duties. It is even possible to plan for the group to split in smaller groups at certain points of the dungeon! For example, two crafters go repair a broken device while two gatherers are required to gather materials to load the device and at the same time a group of 4 fighters fend off enemies. Then, when the device is repaired by the crafters and loaded by the gatherers, something happens (block the incoming path of enemies, deal a fatal blow to a NM, etc.) that allows the party to proceed.

That way, the balance is a trade off between more power to fend off the enemies, more man power to repair the device or to load it up. All that with the timer ticking down. It balances itself, you either have to sacrifice time for safety or safety for time. Each could result in different rewards at the end (you need X time to have that special chest, forcing players to choose the least safe setup, unless they want to sacrifice that reward).

It's ambitious dungeons, but ultimately VERY entertaining and challenging. Much more than the usual "hack 'n slash" dungeons we currently have.

Battle balance would be off if we made Disciples of the Land and Hand count as party members (Stressful)
    Not really, again, adventurers can switch class. We have to see that from the adventurer's point of view. The final battle could be battled with all battle classes and only require the other discipline to get to it. Or, if you refer to my example above, the other disciplines could be required to deal the final blow on the Boss, while the fighters have to keep it distracted with a minimum of battle members for optimal time completion.

Gathering points will be searched for and discovered using a Disciple of the Land-specific ability
    Can there also be visual cues for the type of gathering point that has been discovered? For example, if I discover a copper point, there are copper ore chunks that appears instead of the glowing light we currently have (or in addition to it). That would allow for really diverse gathering point in the same area without confusing the player.

...or ask a crafter to create a product out of their materials.
    Hopefully, the upcoming search feature with allow to search for people available to do other players' requests. For example, when search for a weaver, instead of simply displaying all the adventurers currently as weavers, it should display:
    1) adventurers as weavers (with no flag up, that means they are not available to do other players' requests)
    2) adventurers as weavers (with a flag up that tells other players they are willing to do requests on demand)
    3) adventurers as other class (with a flag up for weaver that tell other players can do requests on demand)

That way, you don't have to shout in town for help if you can't have the help from your linkshell and if you are a crafter, you don't have to sit in town when you feel like doing other player's request (you can switch class and do something else in the mean time).

Just a thought for the search system, instead of bugging everyone on the result list "hey, do you have a moment for a request?" and get the answer "Sorry, I'm busy." and proceed again until you find someone available. Think of it as "Looking for party" but for Discipline of the Hand ("Looking for requests"?).

I spoke a little bit about housing in the 2nd edition of the LIVE producer letter. I personally came up with the basic design for housing. (We have separate staff working on the details, and I feel bad for them that I was so ambitious with my plans)
    You know, it is that kind of ambition that makes you a great producer. I sincerely hope you have many more other ambitious ideas like that and bring them to us.
    I'm really excited!
    (6)
    LOL cash shop! SE's way to tell their player how they appreciate them... pull the carrot and empty your pockets $$$
    And to those who support it: you are kicking yourselves. -- We just need to sit back and laugh at people with cash shop items.
    (Marvelous economics IQ test!)

Player
    I dont care one bit that Disciple of Hand and Land cannot proceed in main scenario line. As a disciple of hand/land, I only care that there is gameplay for me. The economy and crafting systems are the biggest area of gameplay. The main scenario quests are so irrelevant in the big scheme that i dont care if i have to level up a battle class to experience them.

As long as crafting is interesting/challenging/deep, then as far as im concerned, not being able to experience some avenues of content is not a problem. Because even if you cannot experience some content, you have your own content as a crafter/gatherer instead.

That said, i'm not sold on the instanced housing/boat building mechanic. It's certainly better than FFXI but when I compare it to games like ArcheAge and Ultima Online, it feels like something that will cut off players from the real world.

If you instance important game features such as housing,chocobo raising, boat building, then that means there will be less and less players out in the non-instanced world.

This, in other words, means that the game becomes less and less like an MMO. Putting such a huge emphasis on instanced areas is a bad idea.
    (4)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakiamiie View Post
    You know, it is that kind of ambition that makes you a great producer. I sincerely hope you have many more other ambitious ideas like that and bring them to us.
    I'm really excited!
    The thing is, it's not really that ambitious though if it's nothing more than an instance lobby for you and your neighbours.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Airget Lamh
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Botanist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by ellohwell View Post
    I dont care one bit that Disciple of Hand and Land cannot proceed in main scenario line. As a disciple of hand/land, I only care that there is gameplay for me. The economy and crafting systems are the biggest area of gameplay. The main scenario quests are so irrelevant in the big scheme that i dont care if i have to level up a battle class to experience them.

As long as crafting is interesting/challenging/deep, then as far as im concerned, not being able to experience some avenues of content is not a problem. Because even if you cannot experience some content, you have your own content as a crafter/gatherer instead.

That said, i'm not sold on the instanced housing/boat building mechanic. It's certainly better than FFXI but when I compare it to games like ArcheAge and Ultima Online, it feels like something that will cut off players from the real world.

If you instance important game features such as housing,chocobo raising, boat building, then that means there will be less and less players out in the non-instanced world.

This, in other words, means that the game becomes less and less like an MMO. Putting such a huge emphasis on instanced areas is a bad idea.
    I'd have to agree, in terms of the "Main Story" I feel perhaps they should rename it War Story or something to that effect cause calling it the "main story" might make land/hand feel like they are missing out on the main focus of the game if it's called the "main story".

When it comes to housing I think Yoshida has a very very VERY grand idea of how he wants it to work. judging from the last live letter he seems to actually want the housing to be I think instances however you would be able to see the neighbors next to you so you would get a grand sense of everyone around you rather then it just being a personal instance.

Though I think you would understand that if housing didn't have some form of instance it could turn to be very overwhelming to have to place every single person's house into the same area, the zone just wouldn't be able to handle it lol.
    (5)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Airget View Post
    Though I think you would understand that if housing didn't have some form of instance it could turn to be very overwhelming to have to place every single person's house into the same area, the zone just wouldn't be able to handle it lol.
    That's what copy-paste landscaping is for.

Turn a problem into an asset.
    (2)
    Last edited by ellohwell; 11-10-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Player
    Character
    Holland Stark
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Marauder Lv 24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayohne View Post
    As you know, Yoshida made a lengthy post (it's 8 pages in Word!) regarding the future of Gathering today.
    I'm glad our Producer/Director knows what he's doing. I hope you are able to realize your ambitions for the three disciplines.
    (4)

Signature provided by grausekopf ~ Thank you ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikozaemon View Post
    Thanks for the 5 ifrits canes Yoshi i can build a life raft and use them to float to another mmo.

Player

Thanks for the translation Bay. May I suggest that when you do something like this, you create a new thread and sticky it. Maybe just create a single sticky for developer posts that have been translated. Don't allow the community to respond and make a new post for each translation. It would help to centralize and maintain continuity on information like this.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Yoso Carrasco
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Monk Lv 74
    Pretty sure they actually said housing wasn't going to be instanced at all so people would be able to visit and stuff, although they didn't go into specifics of whether it was just for the outside or the inside, nor did they differentiate between the two.
    (3)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast