Player
    Character
    Nex Ixchel
    World
    Zalera
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by TSDS View Post
    I think the wikis generally cover that with boss mechanics written out. Not every page is that well explained of course but it's usually a great deal easier to explain something if you're able to show what you're talking about at the same time.
    No reason why the video can't be accompanied by a written explanation. I struggle to understand all that's going on when I watch other people play (which is the main reason I just don't "get" the fascination with Twitch, but that's a whole other thing) if I don't have some sort of reference. If I'm watching a guide before I ever step toe in the dungeon, I guarantee it will only help me a little bit. A written guide will be far more helpful to me, as I absorb that much better (I'm an avid reader). A written guide with a video would be best, as I can read the guide, and watch the video to see it in action. Some video guides are pretty well done, but then I get in game and don't remember the whole gamut of the fight, and I can't just have a video guide running in another window to reference, but I can keep a written one up and glance over to see what I missed (when dead/after a wipe).
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Magmarink Dragregory
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakekizyy View Post
    Do leves actually need guides?
    Even the moonfaire event needs a guide because some players think that killing monster is the only way to complete a quest.. As if someone would actually find a guide with a fully explained descriptions in their quest bars..
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Knot Destroyer
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Keramory View Post
    quick guides for Aquapolis
    Use /random to choose which door isn't trap. (< 500 is left, >= 500 is right)
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Cambris Atarka
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 56
    Quote Originally Posted by MaeIsMean View Post
    No reason why the video can't be accompanied by a written explanation. <snip> and I can't just have a video guide running in another window to reference, but I can keep a written one up and glance over to see what I missed (when dead/after a wipe).
    Yeah of course that's true. Once you're in the encounter it's a bit hard to check a video for things you can't quite remember. I try to make my guides as clear and demonstrative as I can but I'm actually just a start-up youtuber (and not some FFXIV pro guide do-er person). The guides are really just something I started to do because I noticed a few guides were super out of date on my first time running things (causing me to get really lost and unsure of what I was doing) and some encounters simply lacking proper guides altogether. The 'DS' of TSDS stands for 'does stuff' so some random guides fall under the 'stuff' category

I knew I could just make guides for the future to help out anyone in my situation which is what I've attempted to do but I don't run any website or something where I can page off a bunch of written guides. My Youtube channel is all I've got right now.

My guides are on http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki so I could edit in full written guides too but I like to think my guides do a good job of showing and explaining the encounters (even if you can't check them mid-dungeon to remember stuff).
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cakellene St
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    My request for non-video is due to a severe hearing handicap. So I don't do videos and only use written guides.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Foedral Fell
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Dark Knight Lv 60
    For Titan HM:

1) Make sure you're the off tank
    2) Get knocked off the edge
    3) Go make a cup of coffee
    4) Collect loot
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Cakellene St
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 70
    Sounds like half my runs as dps witgh high latency.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cambris Atarka
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 56
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakekizyy View Post
    My request for non-video is due to a severe hearing handicap. So I don't do videos and only use written guides.
    Ah that's a great point, I hadn't really thought about that. The things I do are just for fun/a bit of a hobby so I'm not super 'into' making crazy good guides and stuff but I don't find explaining things via text that difficult (I've had guilds request my presence in raid groups just to type out tactics in the past hehe).

If there's something that you would like a written guide for let me know and if it's something I have knowledge on I can type it up on that wiki or something
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Cambris Atarka
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 56
    FFXIV Striking Tree (Hard) Video Guide just went live! (https://youtu.be/TrQPb0WNI8Q) - with added 'ignore last add' tip ^^

I literally have no free audio recording time right now (having just starting my new school). The only reason I even got this done today was because for the last half of the day we had a lecture that was given in a language I don't speak.*

I recorded the gameplay on the weekend but the editing took me about 5 hours today - not as long as other guides! Jesus

*meaning I went the **** home during the first break lol
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Ava Rose
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 90
    A couple of thoughts and guides suggestions:

1) I think it would be nice to have a 'Novice' guide, like things to watch out for as you level such as the challenge log, hairstylist, novice network, Hall of the Novice, etc. Things that someone could watch in 5 mins or less and remember as they set out on their adventures. Clean, short and to the point.

2) Unsynced Coil guides. A lot of the coil guides focus on when it was lv 50 content, and some of the strategies don't come into play when you're doing them unsynced. I know of a lot of people who want to experience the story, but rely an experienced 'Coiler' to take them through it. There's a lot of mechanics that don't really matter anymore, there's a few of them that can be cheesed a bit and then there's some that you literally cannot ignore, but often don't make sense since they're coming out at such a rapid pace (T7 & T8 I'm looking at you).
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast