Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Player
    Character
    Rhomagus Asclepiot
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Weaver Lv 51
    I'm a very big advocate of changing names as well.

It barely makes sense that people chose a race and may want to change their race and gender but wouldn't be able to change their name, unless they gave themselves a unisex name in the first place, but seriously, if we're allowed to change gender/race/clan we should also be given the option to change names as well, otherwise for me it's kind of all for not.
    (3)

2. 11-07-2011 08:29 AM

Player

It seems to me like there is an underlying issue about ethics or other strange personal views that is going over my head culturally. A reroll is a reroll. The point is, everything we based our starting decisions off of is changing because the game itself is fundamentally changing, so if the game is changing that drastically then people should be able to change their characters as well.
    this is exactly my opinion.

How feeble minded are you if you find it gamebreakingly "shocking" if your buddy decided to change from female lalafel to male miqote.
    Again, the game is fundamentally changing so why not our characters?
    (1)
    15 abilities each? what is this... Kindergarten?
    A jack of all trades WHM... what is this 1989?

Player
    Character
    Teia Rabishu
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    How feeble minded are you if you find it gamebreakingly "shocking" if your buddy decided to change from female lalafel to male miqote.
    Eh, it's not a simple case of being feeble minded so much as it is social conditioning to see male and female as two immutable, non-overlapping categories. The game world follows many of the same aspects of social interaction that the real one does, and the player character presents an online identity just as much as their real-life presentation reflects a real-life identity. So when people get used to, say, someone playing as a male hume and suddenly that player switches to a female hume (i.e. leaving a race change totally out of it), it's given a similar reaction people have in the real world to that sort of thing happening. Usually this is just uneasiness and aversion, but, very unfortunately, sometimes the reaction involves an element of hostility (verbal or otherwise). This is, actually, very likely the reason why I've seen a sentiment in this thread that a race change would make more sense or whatever than a gender change: There's nothing in real life to use as a heuristic to evaluate an online reaction to a race change, but there is for a gender change.

Now, I could say all kinds of choice words about how that's an unfortunate mindset and how I wish society would let go of cissexism and oppositional sexism, you can't really say someone's "feeble minded" if they've had those things indoctrinated into them by society from a young age and have a bit of trouble when they find these notions being challenged—in all likelihood, they've never had a reason to examine these beliefs in the context of someone who breaks their expectations. The feeble mindedness is when someone refuses to update their world view. I can tell you from experience that most people do actually get over their uneasiness towards gender fluidity after a bit of time adjusting to the concept.
    (0)
    Last edited by Teia; 11-07-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Player
    Character
    Maetilorh Rhotwilfsyn
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Eh, it's not a simple case of being feeble minded so much as it is social conditioning to see male and female as two immutable, non-overlapping categories. The game world follows many of the same aspects of social interaction that the real one does, and the player character presents an online identity just as much as their real-life presentation reflects a real-life identity. So when people get used to, say, someone playing as a male hume and suddenly that player switches to a female hume (i.e. leaving a race change totally out of it), it's given a similar reaction people have in the real world to that sort of thing happening. Usually this is just uneasiness and aversion, but, very unfortunately, sometimes the reaction involves an element of hostility (verbal or otherwise). This is, actually, very likely the reason why I've seen a sentiment in this thread that a race change would make more sense or whatever than a gender change: There's nothing in real life to use as a heuristic to evaluate an online reaction to a race change, but there is for a gender change.

Now, I could say all kinds of choice words about how that's an unfortunate mindset and how I wish society would let go of cissexism and oppositional sexism, you can't really say someone's "feeble minded" if they've had those things indoctrinated into them by society from a young age and have a bit of trouble when they find these notions being challenged—in all likelihood, they've never had a reason to examine these beliefs in the context of someone who breaks their expectations. The feeble mindedness is when someone refuses to update their world view. I can tell you from experience that most people do actually get over their uneasiness towards gender fluidity after a bit of time adjusting to the concept.
    There are a lot of long words in there, Miss; we're naught but humble pirates. What is it that you want?
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Teia Rabishu
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvari View Post
    There are a lot of long words in there, Miss; we're naught but humble pirates. What is it that you want?
    The tl;dr version is basically that people have a knee-jerk freak-out reaction to gender fluidity (or at the very least don't have much respect for it) because they're raised to see gender as something you can't change, but for the most part get over it after a while when they can't otherwise avoid it. Also that the negative way society sees trans people affects how an in-game gender change would be seen.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Maetilorh Rhotwilfsyn
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Warrior Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    The tl;dr version is basically that people have a knee-jerk freak-out reaction to gender fluidity (or at the very least don't have much respect for it) because they're raised to see gender as something you can't change, but for the most part get over it after a while when they can't otherwise avoid it. Also that the negative way society sees trans people affects how an in-game gender change would be seen.
    I see..... My view in life is "Who gives a damn what that guys doing.. I am me, I do what I do."
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Krausus Dracul
    World
    Famfrit
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 90
    I dont think it makes a lot of sense to not allow gender changes, especially when the new choices they are adding in are the missing genders.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Au Rore
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 50
    I don't like the idea of the devs setting certain rules on what race is allowed to change to what race. I.E. hyur to hyur, roe to miq etc... Subtle, or major, the change is a change nonetheless and should be an all or nothing, really.
    (3)

Player
    Character
    Sirius Dogstar
    World
    Goblin
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Krausus View Post
    I dont think it makes a lot of sense to not allow gender changes, especially when the new choices they are adding in are the missing genders.
    Omg. Exactly.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Snickle Fritz
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 50
    Vieras should have been a playable race in this game.
    (1)

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast