Player
    Character
    Death Crusader
    World
    Gungnir
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 50

How to carpenter 30-40 post patch 1.19?

Hey guys, was wondering if any of you high level carpenters could offer some advice as to the best method or item to xp on to get to carpenter 40. At the moment i am level 31, almost 32, crafting dated elm clogs giving about 400 xp at 31 so I guess i can grind them for a few levels. However, other than yew masks at 40, I dont see any good/appropriate craft to grind on. Any suggestions?

If you do believe that yew masks are the best, than what is the earliest level i can start on them with a decent success rate? Also, side question, would advanced synthesis guild support help me with crafting success? Or does that only help with recipes that, when you are about to craft, STATE that you want to have advanced craft support?

Thanks in advance
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    1. Yew masks are pretty much your best run from 33 to 41
    2. No, support won't help
    3. After that, best of luck with walnut masks all the way to 50
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Eruantien Draugole
    World
    Louisoix
    Main Class
    Thaumaturge Lv 70
    from 36 you can do rosewood lumber rather than the masks for alot more xp
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruantien View Post
    from 36 you can do rosewood lumber rather than the masks for alot more xp
    Duh! Yes, rosewood lumber can gap you from 36 to 41 but make sure you are calcuating time vs. expense vs. money.

Also, save that rosewood for making finished items (Hart's Guirsame) from 48 to 50 as the walnut mask is sloooooooooooow.

Some people have also suggested just continuously picking up leves in Grid and hasty handing them but I don't know how well this works. If it does, that's money in the bank.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Nightpanda Aan'allein
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 50
    From what I can tell, Hasty Hand does work but you only get half of the EXP for completing the synth as you would normally. Only tried this on 1 lvl35 leve at level39. Seems worthwhile if you are getting verry little exp for the synth, but if you can get 400-500 per synth, then its worth it.

update: tried it on level40 leve, instant botch
    (0)
    Last edited by Nightpanda2810; 10-29-2011 at 01:56 AM.

My XIVPad: http://xivpads.com/?Nightpanda-Aan'allein-Hyperion
    My Ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ffxiv-np
    Quote Originally Posted by Baudle View Post
    It's time to mow the threads. While the posts may be greener in another thread please, and I can't believe I'm saying this, please keep all posts of Final Fantasy XIV's grass to the original thread. Thank you.

~GM Baudle

Player

For anyone who has any success with Hasty Handing leves, what kind of exp are you getting per synth?

Is there a method you need to follow? For instance at rank 40 would I want to be doing all r35 leves for best chance at success? Already you're taking an exp hit, nevermind the fact that you are getting half exp for Hasty Hand.

I just don't see how this works, unless you take into account that it's free exp (even if it's 100-200 at a time) pretty fast.

I have 99 leves stored up and am considering trying this since I was a bone head and didn't synth a bunch of lumber pre 1.19.
    (0)
    ~ Paradise Oblivion
    ~ http://po.clancentral.us

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Aratharn View Post
    For anyone who has any success with Hasty Handing leves, what kind of exp are you getting per synth?

Is there a method you need to follow? For instance at rank 40 would I want to be doing all r35 leves for best chance at success? Already you're taking an exp hit, nevermind the fact that you are getting half exp for Hasty Hand.

I just don't see how this works, unless you take into account that it's free exp (even if it's 100-200 at a time) pretty fast.

I have 99 leves stored up and am considering trying this since I was a bone head and didn't synth a bunch of lumber pre 1.19.
    Here is what you need to know:

1. As a 49carp I drilled the last 35k in about 25 minutes without any problems. Keep in mind that this meant I was 9 to 4 levels above any leve.

2. As a 41 lthr and 40 wvr I did r45 and r40 leves with no major issues.

3. This is considerable more time efficient than any other method and particularly great if you have 99 leves doing nothing (in reality these are costing you because you are losing out on leves.)

4. Try to get only leves that involve in-town NPCs or close camps to cut down on lost time.

Also, synthing lumber isn't that big of a deal. In all reality, it is easier now. The lumber-to-log ratio is mostly the same while the gathering aspect has dramatically improved. From what i can see, trees only yield one of three items now and each item actually has a secondary sweet spot. Rosewood is -2 and will only yield from chopping the the node 80% of the way down. Rosewood branches are the middle, while beans are the tip-top. This means that you can amass large quantities of items while also diminishing the time spent hoping for the right item.

P.S. - Don't forget that you can do three logs at once and HH them.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Shorty Orca
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Pugilist Lv 80
    While it's true that you can do 3 logs at a time, if you're L37-41 doing rosewood log, it's actually better for xp if you do it one at a time. 3Log>Lumber gives about the same xp as 1Log>Lumber so you get 3x as much xp from one stack of rosewood logs that you've just chopped from halatali ^^
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Bubble Yum
    World
    Sargatanas
    Main Class
    Goldsmith Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    While it's true that you can do 3 logs at a time, if you're L37-41 doing rosewood log, it's actually better for xp if you do it one at a time. 3Log>Lumber gives about the same xp as 1Log>Lumber so you get 3x as much xp from one stack of rosewood logs that you've just chopped from halatali ^^
    Nice call on that one!
    (0)