Player
    Character
    Oni On
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60

The Emperor's New Shield

In this game, I'm perfectly capable of taking off my shield and going through a normal rotation without any wonky animations or strange looking movements. Things like casting Bulwark or Sheltron still look fine, and IMO pretty great without a shield on that other arm.

Furthermore, the animations for Shield Swipe and Shield Bash would look amazing without a shield. It would look as if I'm power back-handing enemies right in the mouth; and then they're stunned. How is that not amazing?

Please SE, give PLDs everywhere an Emperor's New Shield off-hand gear.

Sidenote: It would also fix a TON of clipping issues I get with some outfits; which harshly enrages my OCD.
    (7)

Player
    Character
    Ashelia Ferron
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 70
    This topic has been brought up several times in the past.

The most recent official response is the following:

From a World setting and story perspective, not having a visible shield would mean that you couldn't use shield bash or shield lob, and as such we have no plans to introduce an "Emperor's New Shield." However, we may be able to make a small shield so that it doesn't stand out too much, so we will look into that.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Oni On
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashelia_Ferron View Post
    This topic has been brought up several times in the past.

The most recent official response is the following:

From a World setting and story perspective, not having a visible shield would mean that you couldn't use shield bash or shield lob, and as such we have no plans to introduce an "Emperor's New Shield." However, we may be able to make a small shield so that it doesn't stand out too much, so we will look into that.
    I can't be the only person who is thoroughly unsatisfied with that reason. Can we instead keep clamoring for invisible shields rather than a single glove sized shield which everyone has to use to achieve a pseudo-effect?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Hresvelgr Nightwalker
    World
    Tonberry
    Main Class
    Dragoon Lv 60
    I am not a PLD yet but did anyone tried to do shield bash without the shield equipment?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Oni On
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrimfaxi View Post
    I am not a PLD yet but did anyone tried to do shield bash without the shield equipment?
    You need a shield equipped to do any of the skills with "shield" in the name. Were you to remove the shield, the animation would consist of a clenched fist back-handed right into an enemy's chops. It would be awesome.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Destous View Post
    You need a shield equipped to do any of the skills with "shield" in the name. Were you to remove the shield, the animation would consist of a clenched fist back-handed right into an enemy's chops. It would be awesome.
    So you want to use your fists instead of a sword and shield? There's a class and Job already for that.

Seriously though, the development team have made it quite clear why they will not be giving an 'invisible shield' glamour, and no amount of player complaining about it will change their minds. And I'm actually glad they're sticking to their guns about this, as whenever they buckle to stupid player demands simply to keep players happy is when the game ultimately suffers for it.
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Oni On
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    So you want to use your fists instead of a sword and shield? There's a class and Job already for that.

Seriously though, the development team have made it quite clear why they will not be giving an 'invisible shield' glamour, and no amount of player complaining about it will change their minds. And I'm actually glad they're sticking to their guns about this, as whenever they buckle to stupid player demands simply to keep players happy is when the game ultimately suffers for it.
    What part of the game suffers from glamour changes?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Enkidoh Roux
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Specifically? The constant demand by players to unlock glamour restrictions regardless of Job/class - the reason for these restrictions is the same reason shields will not have an 'invisible' option. That the type of armour a class or Job can wear identifies that class or Job, especially Artifact Armour which is specifically designed to represent that Job's traditional appearance from past FF games. Mages wearing heavy tank armour for instance would completely destroy that.

To that end, a shield pretty much identifies you as a PLD, it's the Job's very icon after all. Remove that shield, even by making it invisible, and what are you then? A PLD's image is a knight wielding a sword and shield. This is how the Armoury System is set up, your class and Job are identified by your weapon, that's how it has always been even in the original version of FFXIV and that is how it will always be.

I'm sorry if I sounded cranky about this, but I'm kinda of passionate about PLD and actually like how it is portrayed and do not feel this sort of change would be for the better.
    (3)
    Last edited by Enkidoh; 05-06-2016 at 06:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rannie View Post
    Aaaaannnd now I just had a mental image of Lahabrea walking into a store called Bodies R Us and trying on different humans.... >.<

Lahabrea: hn too tall... tooo short.... Juuuuuust right.
    Venat was right.

Player
    Character
    Khalith Mateo
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Shield bash without a shield would be awesome, Paladin Backhand!
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Khuja'to Binbotaj
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Gladiator Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Destous View Post
    What part of the game suffers from glamour changes?
    Do you want an invisible sword too? Its only glamour changes. I've said this time and again, the animations will look so bad with an invisible shield because they aren't designed with it in mind
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast