Player
    Character
    Alisette Dumont
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Airias View Post
    In german, it sounds a lot happier for them, too. In the end, the lord asks Reginald to find him a new bride. But then, the german version is often much more child-friendly than the rather dark english one. I like those dark tidbits in english.
    Could you screenshot it for me?

Also, poor Reginald, by his reaction this isn't the first time he will have to find a new bride x)
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Celie Lothaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    In german, it sounds a lot happier for them, too. In the end, the lord asks Reginald to find him a new bride. But then, the german version is often much more child-friendly than the rather dark english one. I like those dark tidbits in english.
    The English version is certainly consistent with that ending. The "you know what you must do" comes across as sinister due to the history of the events involving then and its overall vagueness, but it easily could be the instructions to find a new bride.
    (2)

Character
    Matthieu Desrosiers
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    I'd prefer that they go with the darker option, honestly. Not only would it be a nice nod to Romeo and Juliet but it it'd help balance the 'progressive narrative' surrounding the new Ishgard for those of who who prefer the original gritty take on the place. Eorzea isn't a nice or pleasant place and for most people there things do not work out well.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Celie Lothaire
    World
    Mateus
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodric View Post
    Not only would it be a nice nod to Romeo and Juliet but it it'd help balance the 'progressive narrative' surrounding the new Ishgard for those of who who prefer the original gritty take on the place.
    The "progressive narrative" where we've really only just replaced their theocracy that was built on a lie and helping to perpetuate a war they couldn't win. The other issues, such as the major class divide between the noble houses and the common folk has already been shown to not be going anywhere soon, despite representation on both sides in their new government.

I also wouldn't consider it a particularly good nod to Romeo and Juliet, as that wasn't about two lovers running away and being pursued/hunted by a jilted lover (the comedy A Midsummer Night's Dream has more in common with that kind of plot line), and instead about the foolishness of two houses feuding and what it cost them...

Which is, oddly enough, more in line with a "progressive narrative" of two sides (noble and common) reconciling before more get hurt, if you think about it.
    (15)
    Last edited by Berethos; 10-11-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Player
    Character
    Light Khah
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Arcanist Lv 90
    I hope that it has a good ending. There are already a lot dark side stories in Ishgard and Eorzea. IMO no need to make every story dark just for showing how gritty that place is.
    (2)
    Letter from the Producer LIVE Part IX Q&A Summary (10/30/2013)
    Q: Will there be any maintenance fees or other costs for housing, besides the cost of the land and house?
    A: In older MMOs, such as Ultima Online, there was a house maintenance fee you had to pay weekly, but in FFXIV: ARR we decided against this system. Similarly, these older MMOs also had a system where your house would break down if you didn’t log in after a while in order to have you continue your subscription, but this is a thing of the past and we won't have any system like that.

Player
    Character
    Noel Maimhov
    World
    Lich
    Main Class
    Bard Lv 90
    Well, I for one interpreted the "you know what you must do" as close your eyes and think of Halone...
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Remasa Voluga
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 90
    Ah thank you ^_^ I suppose I could go and redo the pictures better, zoom in, remove my HUD, etc. Honestly it took FOREVER to screencapture the entire conversation because it goes by swiftly. I kept having to run out of range and back in to get sentences I missed. It was a nightmare to try to match up the dialogue and post it properly. I can provide a transcript if the text is too small to read.

I wasn't sure if I got the storyline "out of order" if you had to trigger the scenes in a specific order or if it updated each patch regardless of if you've run by the characters previously. Or if multiple storylines appeared simultaneously depending on the time of day. I'll have to keep an eye out. Does anyone know if there are any other continuing side-NPC chats like this that have an updating dialogue with each patch?
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Yayoi Kaisuri
    World
    Cactuar
    Main Class
    Lancer Lv 70
    This is the reason I just walk around the towns now and again. The detail. ;u; I know it takes lots of time and resources for the devs but I hope we never lose these little stories no matter how much they're overlooked.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    A'irias Lasair
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    Black Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice_89th View Post
    Could you screenshot it for me?
    Here's the Album on imgur.
    I tried to translate it as closely to the original wording as possible, so it may seem a little off in english.

And yes, it really sounds like the lord has gone through this before. I kind of feel bad for him. He's such a good catch; even the woman says she'd have a good life with him.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Alisette Dumont
    World
    Moogle
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 80
    Here's the Album on imgur.
    I tried to translate it as closely to the original wording as possible, so it may seem a little off in english.
    Thank you!!!
    This does make poor Reginald his 'task' sound much less ominous. And I can even pity the poor Lord a bit. It does not come completely out of the blue either, the English version has the line "But is that really a more lamentable fate then looking into no eyes at all?", which implies that he is simply lonely and wishes for a companion. Although this does make it sound like anyone will do. Perhaps Reginald can put a dress on a spriggan and present that as the next bride xD

It was really interesting to see this version, so thank you for the screenshots! As for the part where you had doubts about your translation, assuming "Nachsehen" is used in the sense of "für die Handlungen / das Verhalten von jemandem Verständnis aufbringen(#)" you could probably simply translate it with '"please try to understand"
    (1)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast