Player
    Character
    Melon Soda
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Astrologian Lv 60

Mouseover Macros

Lately I've been lurking the forums and saw some discussion on macros, their uses for different classes, and their lack of ability queue. I've been using mouseover macros for healing since I started in 2.0, finding it more streamlined than clicking a person then pressing a button. I've never rarely had a problem with it (sometimes its an issue when I use a macro to switch to/from my DPS hotbar and I'm over eager) but I'm curious: is this a common practice, or am I hindering myself by not taking advantage of the ability queue?

Thank you for your time.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Nexas Uthenera
    World
    Midgardsormr
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 61
    Macros are more of an issue for dps. From their point of view, not being able to queue is a dps loss.
    healing is more reactive, so you macro to your hearts content
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Evy Rain
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Sage Lv 90
    I healed with mouseover macros in 2.0 and through first Coil, but I moved away from them because to me they felt clunkier and slower than using abilities directly. So I feel healing is much smoother without them.
    (1)
    Evy Rain from Phoenix

Player
    Character
    Shinonome Sanada
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 90
    Judging by the forums, macros don't seem particularly uncommon.

Personally, I only use a mouseover macro for Embrace. I find controlling the Faerie and my own actions rather unwieldy otherwise (I'm fully prepared to be assaulted by a gang of Scholars the next time I step outside my home). Other than that, the only macros I use are alerts for important mechanics, or a pull timer so people can prepare themselves.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kabz Il
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by nexas506 View Post
    Macros are more of an issue for dps. From their point of view, not being able to queue is a dps loss.
    healing is more reactive, so you macro to your hearts content
    It says your main is Scholar, I want to cry. ;_;

Do NOT macro to your hearts content unless you want to limit yourself. Healing is not always reactive, ESPECIALLY for Scholars. Not to mention that queuing is just as bad for us. A good healer will never sit there daydreaming, you want to DPS on your downtime or at least mitigate the next attack or do something!!
    (5)

Player
    Character
    Ebi Frye
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    Fisher Lv 80
    I dislike mouseover macros for GCD healing, but don't mind them for oGCDs. In fact, I use mouseovers for Benediction, Tetragrammaton, Essential Dignity, as well as Embrace, and have never had a problem with them.

My former WHM co-healer had everything on mouseover. It worked fine most of the time, but every now and then his macros wouldn't trigger due to lag/latency/packet loss and he would miss a GCD, which would result in deaths.

I don't know, I think it's up to everyone's preference but I personally wouldn't risk macroing everything, and I like my GCDs queuing smoothly into one another.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Mikoko Miko
    World
    Ultima
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 60
    I use mouseover macros for every single-target healing action. I prefer them because I can watch a target ring, enmity bars and buffs/debuffs of target enemy when I heal.

Macros can be pseudo-queued by repeating same commands like this.
    /merror off
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /ac "Cure" <mo>
    /micon "Cure"
    Its pseudo-queueing window is about 0.46 secs in 30 fps.

I found macros useful when I play PvP. When my spells are interrupted, raw spells are simply canceled but macros can be recasted immediately. When I want to cast non-instant healing spells after I move, I can execute macros before I stop. I can also execute macros when the target is out of range or out of sight.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    Cyrillo Rongway
    World
    Hyperion
    Main Class
    Red Mage Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrigen View Post
    It worked fine most of the time, but every now and then his macros wouldn't trigger due to lag/latency/packet loss and he would miss a GCD, which would result in deaths.

I don't know, I think it's up to everyone's preference but I personally wouldn't risk macroing everything, and I like my GCDs queuing smoothly into one another.
    Communication doesn't happen any differently between using macros and using raw buttons. Those lag deaths would still have happened without macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikoko_Miko View Post
    I prefer them because I can watch a target ring
    Target rings are the best reason to mouseover macro. Hard targeting heals with party member keybinds can more easily put you in a mob's frontal, and soft targeting requires you to re-softtarget after every action execution. Using mouseovers is the clear winner in terms of maintaining situation awareness.

The real downside is the significant slowdown when you have to move your hand from one manipulandum to another and back, but this can be avoided by adopting a strict right keyboard, left mouse control scheme and consolidating your keybind into chords that are all one handed.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    S'zendaril Tia
    World
    Excalibur
    Main Class
    Scholar Lv 60
    I macro a bunch of abilities just for that utility - Embrace and Lustrate on Scholar, Draw on Astrologian, and every variation on Esuna. Also Goad on Rogue, for that matter.

Macros are not always the evil Whatever-Per-Second loss that they are made out to be. If you use them for utility rather than automation, they can prove invaluable.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Kabz Il
    World
    Spriggan
    Main Class
    Alchemist Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVella View Post
    I macro a bunch of abilities just for that utility - Embrace and Lustrate on Scholar, Draw on Astrologian, and every variation on Esuna.
    Ewwwwwwwwwwww
    (1)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast