Character
    Nestama Eynfoetsyn
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
    snip
    All I really needed was a yes or no, so I only read your last paragraph and to be fair, I only questioned it because someone brought it up. Like, did men wear corsets during the World Wars or wars way back before then. Final Fantasy XIV did try to keep things in the realm of "this makes sense for what it is" realism, despite being a fantasy game. Though I feel things kinda went downhill after Soldiery gear was released.
    (2)

Player
    Character
    T'erra Branford
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestama View Post
    All I really needed was a yes or no, so I only read your last paragraph and to be fair, I only questioned it because someone brought it up. Like, did men wear corsets during the World Wars or wars way back before then. Final Fantasy XIV did try to keep things in the realm of "this makes sense for what it is" realism, despite being a fantasy game. Though I feel things kinda went downhill after Soldiery gear was released.
    Oh, it had seemed to me that you asked a simple question about real world batlle protction, that has little or no crossover relevance to fantasy, as a means of proving a point. Sorry it it was a random question that had noting to do with the threads subject. I merely responded to say that the ideals of real world battle can't really be applied to fantasy battle, as there is a lot more to consider.

But by realism, do you mean traditional? I don't find running around all day in something like the Darksteel set to be realistic, do you.

May I ask you a simple question. If someone were to attack you with an electircal or fire based attack. Would you rather be fully incased in metal, or leather?
    (2)
    Last edited by Whiteroom; 03-11-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Player
    Character
    Hades Pluto
    World
    Gilgamesh
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 80
    Personally I don't mind the shiva gear for healers, makes me a sexy Au Ra . Thought the gear for smn could be a little more scary like more of a Bahamut style ( the 3rd coil gear doesn't count) with wings that show up when we go into trance. O and the ability to breath fire when we equip it.
    (0)

Player
    Character
    Neri Feralheart
    World
    Faerie
    Main Class
    Paladin Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post

I would like this to be the next paladin set. Gender differences included. Actually, they should just use all the FFT designs with the gender differences. The salty rage will burn these forums to the ground once and for all even though they all look rad.
    Actually, just about all of the FFT sets are lightly gendered in good ways. People complained about the sexist gendering on the DRG AF1 set because it was, well, randomly sexist. Gendered != sexist. Also, it wasn't a slightly different design that was a slightly different take on the same armor. It was the same exact armor with the middle cut out.

I'm one of those women who are strongly opposed to (and bothered by) stuff like the NIN AF1 pants and the DRG AF1 chest, and I'd love it if they implemented the FFT sets and had them look different on different genders despite being the same armor piece.

EDIT: (That said, skirts are traditional, real life male medium/heavy armor pieces... This game generally depicts them accurately, and they are definitely not "feminine.")
    (5)
    (The links below are sadly outdated. I hope to get around to updating things at some point.)
    Desynthesis Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivdesynth

Airship Guide: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipguide (\v/) Airship Quick Reference: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipqr
    Airship Logsheet: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshiplog (/|\) Airship Builder Tool: http://tinyurl.com/ffxivairshipbuilder

Player
    Character
    Anarista Tarnyang
    World
    Behemoth
    Main Class
    Ninja Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangela View Post
    Full armors need to go away. I'd rather look good than being strong. I'm playing FF, not some boring WRPG.
    Exactly! I need to look good while destorying my enemies. It's basic JRPG law, less clothings means more defense.
    (1)

Player
    Character
    Reinha Sorrowmoon
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    Reaper Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
    May I ask you a simple question. If someone were to attack you with an electrical or fire based attack. Would you rather be fully incased in metal, or leather?
    For electricity, metal all the way. Faraday suits provide pretty good protection.

Against fire both are useless but burning leather will be easier to rip off after the spell has hit.

And it's not only magic we are against. The game has guns! Nothing will realistically protect against those so it all comes down to aesthetics.
    (0)
    Last edited by Reinha; 03-11-2016 at 02:47 AM.

Player
    Character
    T'erra Branford
    World
    Jenova
    Main Class
    White Mage Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinha View Post
    For electricity, metal all the way. Faraday suits provide pretty good protection.

Against fire both are useless but burning leather will be easier to rip off after the spell has hit.

And it's not only magic we are against. The game has guns! Nothing will realistically protect against those so it all comes down to aesthetics.
    Exactly, even the Faraday suit has a specific design though. I totally agree that we take such a variety of attacks, that no one style of armor could be considered the best. So, why is one better, well lets just go with magic, or some technology/material unknown to us. I simply went with leather as you get a lot of things like welding aprons and gloves made of leather, so a little bit better than bare skin or metal.

Really i was just pointing out to him though, that thinking of it in terms of real wolrd history is foolish since every bit of protective gear was designed to protect against real world attacks. None of our traditional armors were designed with fighting Sephirot, Titan, Ramuh, etc in mind. So to say "Is this what they used to wear?" is either derpy or trolly, considering they weren't fighting 40 foot tall, 6 armed, magical gods...
    (2)
    Last edited by Whiteroom; 03-11-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Player
    Character
    Nestama Eynfoetsyn
    World
    Lamia
    Main Class
    Samurai Lv 90
    Whiteroom, LadyVal's answer is actually the type of answer I wanted. My last sentence was then a personal opinion towards the Lore gear again.

I don't like it and it's a shame it's going to be glamoured over instantly.
    (6)

Player
    Character
    Hayward Timberwolf
    World
    Adamantoise
    Main Class
    Summoner Lv 70
    The creator of this thread should, in all good conscience, flog himself with a frozen tuna for projecting this ridiculous level of insecurity of his masculinity.

There's a reason that Duke Nukem comeback game flopped so badly. Real men grew up.
    (8)

Player
    Character
    Rowyne Olde
    World
    Balmung
    Main Class
    Conjurer Lv 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestama View Post
    Whiteroom, LadyVal's answer is actually the type of answer I wanted. My last sentence was then a personal opinion towards the Lore gear again.

I don't like it and it's a shame it's going to be glamoured over instantly.
    Wow... I've gotta say, it does look pretty bad on a male Roe.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast